The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #26
Chlsnk

Re: 1970 cst lwb project "Cheap Build"

Nice build i'm all about the low budget truck build too!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #27
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

thanx funny you brought this up I was going to update this....here is where I am now sunday I picked up my pro street tires (30X18.5X15's) I have one in the living room and the other is an end table in the cellar till my rims are done...I sent them out yesterday though a guy up the street that builds race car chassis who said he could get them widened to 12" for $50 each which means I can keep my old school rally look....I also found out that a 6' bed tonnau cover will fit from my tool box back to the gate which means you won't see the tubs...

I alos score a carpet from another board memeber and have a hot lead on a bed to replace the one I have that has the preverbale strainer floor ...

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
VA72C10
VA72C10

sounds good...looking forward to the pictures...
Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #29
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I'm in Hunt'r gather'r mod for the winter I may get a bit more amibition to get out in the garage when the wheels are here and tires mounted...between that and a hot lead on the bed may get me out there heres the plans as of today

get the tires and rims together
get the bed on the truck and build the tubs if the deal comes though
add a longer panard bar to keep te PS wheels centered for a good slam/clearance
pull the axles reseal and drop a new set of gears into my housing (the bed is on a roller that I believe has 3:73's a nice step up from the 3:08's I have now)
rear brakes

I have a new seat foam,carpet and plan to pull the tank and dyno mat behind the tank I also need to fab up some inner fenders up front and install the A/C parts to get that working.....DAM ..all this and I really want to put in new power/trans...back to gathering on the cheap I can't wait till I figure my build cost but I would dare anyone to beat it!

Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #30
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Scored the roller with cleaner bed and decent front end and trailing arms more parts to rebuild and swap into my frame
Old 01-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #31
nuke1

nice build, great job on keeping her cheap, love it.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #32
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

SCORE!!!!!

yep looks like my mouse motor (327) is going to get a new set of Vortec heads!! need to find a intake and a cam for it too something in the 470 lift area.....$50 for the heads a cam ( prbably from jegs or sumit) $100 and a good gasket set...looking for around 350 hp on the cheap!!

dam look like I'll be tearing this thing down pretty far heres the spring plan

pull front clip
add under hood stuff
voretc heads $50
cam $100
timing chain $75
A/C $150
power brakes free!!

then the back

pull old bed
add ons
new panard bar from stock frame to trailing arm
new pro street tires $100
widened stock rallies $90 from 8 to 12 inch wide
place new bed cut the floor and add to the wheel wells
(the bed needs to be sanded and primed)

looks like I have about another $600 in the truck to change the look and smarten it up

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #33
Chlsnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
SCORE!!!!!

widened stock rallies $90 from 8 to 12 inch wide
I really want to see how these turn out. Im trying to find a local person who can do this for me.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #34
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

local race guys he's sending them to NY state somewhere he was pretty hush hush about the who but he said $45 so I said just get it done ...I'm going to check with him tomorrow Ill let you know and get some pics when I get them back

Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #35
turbo350

Yeah thats a great price on widening those wheels. Dig your thread!
turbo350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #36
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

well the new bed for my truck rolled in on the trailer..rolling frame and all..this is going to go a mile on this truck...the bed is in really good shape with a couple small bruz's but rust free.. so I assume its not from new england?? the frame is real clean and I was looking at the X memeber for a drop/chop its super clean too!!..I also noticed 4 new shocks and I'm guessing that the brakes are new also because the Nails (the part that hold the shoes) are still shiney!! the wheels are stock ( 2 with bias plys still on them) and with 3 of the 4 dog dish hub caps...all new brake lines too!!....
Ooops I forgot it has a spare carrier in the bed to so the one I have shelfed can goto some who needs/wants it

on a side note while dragging it home from Conn. I was looking in the mirror and thought maybe the old bed and this frame would make a Kool trailer since my new bed will be tubbed...it makes alot of sence to keep the old bed for a beater/junk tub..and hellyea I would bag it too!! with a couple of the rallies I have laying around to match it up??

I'll post a few pics of it just need to bum a better camera so there worth something its going to rain for the next day or so....but I think this is going to be a good week for my truck

Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #37
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

ok pic whores..including me!! heres some pics of the Goodies!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Hottrucks; 01-27-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #38
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

and the new metal parts.....the bed to be tubbed for the new sneakers...the rims should be here next week...and waiting for a phoone call to pick up the se of Vortec heads...but I'm still in need of an intake for them??
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #39
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

oh still waiting to pick up the A/C parts....dam theres alot but I think it will go pretty quick once spring comes around and I get a little warm weather that I need to clean and paint stuff...my guess is about 2 or 3 weeks...

Old 01-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #40
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Poser pics before I do "BaD" things to her
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #41
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

If I out this info here I won't loose it

Block # 3789935.....283 from 62-64
head # 3795896....327 60 cc heads 1.72/1.50

this is going to need some improvment.........

I did dig out my column today and gave it a bath hope to start cleaning it up for the install....Just need abit of homework and I think some sort of wiring plug adapter??

Old 02-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #42
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

well the garage is clean and it loks like today is the last day I'm going to drive it..the roads have been dry but the frost heaves are so big and the boredum has set in so it looks like a good time for a tear down...

I also picked up 2 Nascar trailing arms for $100 to the door..so the rear out of the spare frame is going to get bolted up to those with a new long panard bar, fresh bushings and a flip on the rear shock mounts....this means that I can clean,paint and assemble it all then roll it under the truck for a quick change...I went outside and did a quick spin test on the rear tires and it looks like the new rear has 4:11's, I was hoping for 3:73's but I'll use what I have it will wake up the 283 and let it rev but fuel mileage will be non exsitant compaired to the 3:08's I have now

stay tuned I'm waiting for a new camera so it will help me post more pics for you followers

Jeff
Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #43
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I should not be left alone to long.......I should call this the rebuilding of the Sunshine Syndicate..I think I got carried away today.........the pics above could have been 10am this morning it now 8 pm...truck is stripped bed gone, rear axle gone, seat gone,interior gone,steering column gone,Dash gone...now for what I did get done...new tilt is all but in I need to swap the turn signal lever and plug it in,all my heat and A/C ducts are where they shoud be and the controls all work smoothly and new vacum lines inside the dash area are in...now for the big thing......I was die hard on keeping the bench seat but after sitting on a pepsi crate while working on the dash I was likeing the height which is about 6" off the floor then the new tilt went in and I liked it even more...a buddy of mine stopped by to give me some ideas on the sound system and just happen to have a couple of bucket seats...we took a ride..got back to the house and you know we had to do a dry fit....I think I'm in Love...power buckets from a BMW heated and all...I think I'll remove the head rest and build a new console that will run from the dash to the tank with a 10" sub facing down between the seats and two 6 1/2" in the center by your feet..the doors will get a set of 6 1/2" also with a tweeter mounted just above the A/C ducts near the door (on the dash) should sound good with a good thump

now heres what you want.........sorry the seats are dirty its late and notice the tilt
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #44
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

ok guys heres what happen today..I had a 12 hour OSHA class today so I didn't have much time to play...this is about 2/3 hours of my center console build I think you can see where its going 2 cup holders and the radio is marked out in the last pic and the top of the curve will be cut to so that its the same width as the heat A/C controls the box between the seats will house a new 10" sub on top of that there will be a arm rest box that will be about the size of the paper work tin ( I use this at work all the time and it beats throwing it on the seat) you will notice that Im making it out of an old sheet of paneling..my plan it to get all the curves build and sucure then fiber glass it for strength..... any input is welcome
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #45
OARNGESI

Trucks lookin good like the console cant wait to see the tires on the rallies
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #46
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

me either going to check on those today the new trailing arms are going to be here monday so I'm hoping that will be next weeks project...for now I want to finish the inside I did put the rocker on the pass side the other day so that is done along with all the hook ups on the column...

I'm goin to need to build a new headliner panel ( so I can upolyster it black) and find a set of armrests/visors to go with them...this console is going to get the better of me O hope to have it built today so I can figure out how to cover it???
Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #47
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

well after staring at the pic above and looking at alot of issues ...like if i build it in one piece how the hell am I going to get it in or out of the truck?? and how am I going to cover it because of the compound curve..( If it was going out and I had strechy material it would be easy but this is a budget build and I need to hit Jo Anne fabrics for some black vinal ( spelling)) I have some beading left from another project ( I thinks its fender welting for an old ford truck..but its black and best of all free) that will follow the curve on the front basicly covering it in 3 pieces top,Left,right
The console will be 2 piece which I'm going to use my old console for an end point...this will allow me to install it, fill a little more of the void between the seats, have some something I can handle and best of all if I ever want to go back to the bench seat..I can pull the back half and drop the seat in

One thing I have learned over the years is plan it all the way to the end before you start and adjust accordingly

Jeff
Old 02-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #48
nuke1

Jeff, you sure do seem to get a fair amount done on that truck! keep it up.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #49
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

ok here goes..dam new camera didn't come with memory so I'm going to post these then go grab a couple more..and post them...then the liquior store and wally world if I'm up to it I may grab the material to cover it tomorrow so I can put the radio in.. the 10" woofer under the console bolt down the amp....I'm also going to grab enough material to recover the doors and they now sell a headliner material like the new cars have..so I'm going to take the stock one down make a template on more of that old paneling and cover that in black I hope you all like it as it comes together I'm likeing it more and more.....
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #50
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

this is what is going to look like I need to make the lid and find some foam for it...also I'm going to pull the A/C vent housing pop the chrome ball and paint them black (new tweeters will be mounted just above them) the new seats sit about 5" lower ( at full dump there electric) then the bench and work killer with the new tilt..you sit low and almost look straight down the hood....

can't load the new pics something about a lost tokin
??? I'll try later