The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #26
testerdahl

Re: 1962 C10 "Swede" - Grandpa's Old Truck

After a busy afternoon yesterday, I was able to scrub up and clean the carburetor as well as the oil bath. I also rebuilt the carb using parts from a kit, reset the float which was off by a .5" and put fresh oil in the oil bath. Also, painted the oil bath. Finally, set the idle.

The backfiring is still there, but it does run smoother as evidenced after a test drive. It definitely feels like the gas input is much better.

I checked the vacuum advance and it is working just fine.

This leaves the distributor and an exhaust leak as the causes of the backfiring. I've ordered new points, cap, distributor and rotor. I'll take care of them next weekend. Then, I'll be narrowing down the exhaust leak. I know there is a leak somewhere since I can see some smoke in the rear of the engine. Also, there is plenty of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, so it seems like something is not right. Oh and I bought a new valve cover gasket as well. I feel like there might be a leak there as well with the rear of the valve cover being pretty dirty even after spraying the engine down with cleaner and spraying it off.

I'll update when I get a chance to wrench on it again.
Attached Images

testerdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #27
testerdahl

After a busy afternoon yesterday, I was able to scrub up and clean the carburetor as well as the oil bath. I also rebuilt the carb using parts from a kit, reset the float which was off by a .5" and put fresh oil in the oil bath. Also, painted the oil bath. Finally, set the idle.

The backfiring is still there, but it does run smoother as evidenced after a test drive. It definitely feels like the gas input is much better.

I checked the vacuum advance and it is working just fine.

This leaves the distributor and an exhaust leak as the causes of the backfiring. I've ordered new points, cap, distributor and rotor. I'll take care of them next weekend. Then, I'll be narrowing down the exhaust leak. I know there is a leak somewhere since I can see some smoke in the rear of the engine. Also, there is plenty of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, so it seems like something is not right. Oh and I bought a new valve cover gasket as well. I feel like there might be a leak there as well with the rear of the valve cover being pretty dirty even after spraying the engine down with cleaner and spraying it off.

I'll update when I get a chance to wrench on it again.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #28
62 Barnfind

I would do a head gasket check. You gan get the tool at Advance Auto on the shelf. White smoke could be small coolant leak in the head.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #29
testerdahl

I thought I would give an update on a few things.

First, I'm currently going through carburetor hell. I initially rebuilt the carb and it ran fine, EXCEPT for when in 3rd and 4th gear. The truck would bog down. FIL looked at it and saw the throttle body handle (?) was extremely loose and literally would move up and down. Fine. Ran to the farm and found another Rochester carb.

We took the parts from the carb I rebuilt and put them into the farm carb. Now it won't idle right. It is strange. Turning the air mixture screw all the way in, keeps it running. Turning the screw all the way out kills the truck. I've played with it quite a bit and my neighbor thinks I need a new carb. I'm not so convinced for, no better reason, than how could a screw adjustment go bad like that? We have throughly cleaned the carb, sprayed in cleaner and rebuilt everything.

I read online dirty spark plugs could cause idle issues. We pulled one out and it is black and covered in carbon. I'm thinking this is likely due to how rich it ran and how long the truck sat. I'm currently toying with either getting a new carb OR switching out plugs.

Oh and by the way, I drove it around with the new carb and it runs really well in 3rd and 4th gear.

Also, the backfire issue was due to spark plug #3 and #4 being in the wrong place. A quick swap and problem solved. Whoops!

There are also exhaust leak issues to deal with and a leaky valve cover. I have all those gaskets and I'm thinking of just tearing about the top of the engine, cleaning, painting and putting in new gaskets. Then, maybe I'll switch out the spark plugs and then see what happens. Although, I may just buy a new carb anyway. Really toying with what to do.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #30
testerdahl

After messing around with the Rochester carb all morning and cleaning out the air mixture screw as advised by another owner, I threw in the towel and ordered a remanufactured one from Rock Auto. I'm really hoping this takes care of things for good.

Also, while shopping around online I came across a new "racing" radiator with chrome all over it. It is supposed to cool 40% than stock. I don't really need a racing radiator, however, the price was $150 and I thought what the heck so I bought it.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #31
testerdahl

I've been working my butt off lately. Basically, I ordered a new carb, stripped the right side of the engine, cleaned, painted and reassembled.

I shot this video showing what I've done. However, I noticed the choke was still on after I shot the video. LOL. I have to hit the road for several days and will mess with it when I get back.

https://youtu.be/Y-A3Yy8nXAs
Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #32
testerdahl

I should give an update to this thread. After a winter of driving it around, the inline 235 crapped out on me. Turns out grandpa had done a few "farmer rebuilds" and it was shot. I was quoted $1200-1800 for a rebuild. Not wanting to do that, one of the local engine shops had an old 283 v8 sitting in the corner of his shop. He said it was out of a 1955 Chevy Belair and the guy swapped it out 30 years ago. It had sat ever since. He said he would see if it ran and make me a deal.

Well, it ran. $300 later I had a new to me engine and spent the summer putting it in. With my work and family schedule I didn't get it done until a month ago. There were a lot of modifications to be done and it was hardly bolt in ready.

Since then, I've... well... driven the hell out of it! I went through 30 some gallons in 2.5 weeks. LOL. I took him hunting, drove the kids around, drove back to the farm, returned auto parts and more. It has been a blast. Lots of good power.

I just got a shipment of weatherstripping in, heater parts and windshield wiper parts. I've sprayed the floor with some flexseal as well as on the firewall. I'm trying to close up the cabin and get ready for winter. While I know he doesn't do great in the snow, I'm going to try anyway. My plan is to start with some sand and then maybe go get some snow tires. Still deciding.

Here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #33
jimmythompson1964

Glad you saved this one, it needs a lot of work but it will be worth the effort and will be a interesting journey!
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #34
jcramsey

Nice find with the 283...looks right at home in that engine bay.

I'm partial to rusty, green, beat up 62's myself...and I also have a 67 International 1000B as well. I'm in the same boat and need to sell the International as I have barely enough time for one project...much less two.
Attached Images

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #35
realvc

Glad to see your progress. The truck is very cool.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #36
testerdahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
Nice find with the 283...looks right at home in that engine bay.

I'm partial to rusty, green, beat up 62's myself...and I also have a 67 International 1000B as well. I'm in the same boat and need to sell the International as I have barely enough time for one project...much less two.
I hear ya. I wish I still had the International TBH. It was 4wd and I will need it for the winter. When the snow flies, Swede will likely be parked until the roads are clear. Sand or no sand, he just doesn't do well in the snow.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #37
testerdahl

Just a quick update: I've spent $600 over the past two weeks on a variety of things like weatherstripping for the doors, anti-rattle kit for the windows, a complete trim kit for the windows, windshield wiper motor and a heater transistor. I also ordered a new plastic floor mat, heat shield and a sound dampener mat. Plus, I have a list of things I'll be picking up or ordering at the store like a gas gauge and speedometer.

Why all the spending? In the next week and the week after I need to take some long trips to Colorado for work. Both trips will be in excess of 300 miles. While I typically have a press loan (I don't right now) and I could borrow or rent a car (hate that idea), I've decided to do my best to get Swede ready to roll. I'm pretty nervous about making these long trips with him especially with it being December, but the forecast looks clear and, well, frankly making these kinds of trips has been one of my big drivers for doing this project. I WANT to drive my own truck and not borrow. I'll update with my progress. Prayers appreciated. LOL.

I should add I've been exclusively driving my truck for the past 2 weeks and probably over 200 miles on it with no issues whatsoever. I think with the things I've bought and will buy, it will be ready.

Last edited by testerdahl; 12-02-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #38
testerdahl

Had a warm afternoon yesterday, so I decided to replace the weather stripping around the driver's door. It was in rough shape with a gap showing between the door and the cab. Tore off the old weather stripping, removed the old door sill after fighting with the rusted screws (grounded off heads, re-tapped holes), sanded, cleaned and installed new weather stripping.

Took it for a spin and no wind is getting through now. Driver's side door won't close now and I think I just need to adjust the wedge. I'll do that ASAP.

Also replaced a steel gas line that I screwed up the threads on while trying to replace the fuel filter. SMDH. I hate doing that.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #39
realvc

I had not noticed your "Easy Rider" rifle rack before. They used to very popular here in AR.
Also my truck is the same color green as yours under the gray primer.

You are a brave man to make your upcoming trips in "Grandpa's Old Truck".
It should be good for a write up of some kind. Good Luck on your journey.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #40
testerdahl

I drove the truck to Denver yesterday and it was quite the experience! All told, it was 180 miles and 4 hours behind the wheel. I stopped twice for fuel (always keeping it topped off) and checked oil and antifreeze each time. No leaks and the oil and temp were spot on for the entire trip.

I did encounter an issue halfway through my trip where the truck would not go above 65 mph like it did early on. It would pop and hesitate to gain more speed. So, I just drove it slower and kept to the back roads.

I didn't have a chance to look under the hood before I caught the airport parking shuttle. My suspicion is I have a loose spark plug wire. The road was fairly bumpy in sections and as I recall those wires didn't want to attach real well to the spark plugs. I plan to inspect each and every one when I get back and see if that might be the problem.

I'll update tomorrow night when I drive back home.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #41
testerdahl

Just got home a few hours ago. Another long 4 hour drive with the wind beating down on me and the hesitation issue. I found the loose spark plug wire, but that didn’t resolve things. I’m going to check the timing tomorrow and hopefully it is just off.

Friday I’m off to Denver again. Hopefully, I can fix the problem this week.