The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Jeepwm69

EGR valve

OK, got an error code that points to bad EGR Valve. I took the old one off of the truck and it has the number 17087194. Truck is a 95 Sierra with 5.7/350 and automatic, not kalifornia emissions. When I looked for an EGR valve for my truck that number never came up. I googled the part number and it shows up on Rockauto for a 1990 GMC pickup with 5.7L.

So, given that I'm not positive the EGR that is on the truck is original to the truck (purchased used with about 40K showing on the odo), should I replace with the part number 17087194 or get the EGR that rockauto actually lists for a 95 GMC?
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
ChevyTech

Re: EGR valve

That sounds like the correct EGR valve for a 1995, 1/2 ton, 350 TBI truck.

17087194 It is a negative backpressure EGR valve.

Delphi EGR valve DEM EG10099 = 17087194

19210654 is the GM replacement for 17087194, the latest number I know of is 2141432
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Jeepwm69

The one I have is actually marked Rochester. Should I get an AC Delco or Delphi?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
ChevyTech

I would go with an AC Delco, but these days who knows where it we be made, or what the qualitiy will be.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Jeepwm69

So I got the valve, had a bunch of washers in with it, and has the markings
045A 7E 23 POS

The "POS" is what worries me. Shouldn't there be an "N" at the end of a negative backpressure valve?

also found this when I googled part number 214-1432

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/284764/
Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
ChevyTech

I would not use what they sent you.

The POS would lead me to believe it is a positive back-pressure valve, and you need a negative back pressure valve.

Anything that comes with washers to calibrate it, is of the quality of the worst parts house junk parts.

If it is a AC Delco you bought, it is sad to see AC Delco going that direction, which I have noticed and heard of from several other people.

Many people have told me that they had a hard time finding parts. EGR valves are one of the hard parts to find a good replacement part. The TBI trucks a picky about the EGR operation of the negative back pressure valves.

Other people told me they have been able to find the original valves and they have come in a box with a newer number but have the old number on the part in the box. Some new valves still have had the 17087194 number on the valve, with new numbers on the box.

The down side of buying parts online is you can't see what you are actually getting before you buy it. I won't buy if they don't show a photo of exactly what I want. If they use a generic photo I move on to another site.

Over on the Chevytalk board you posted a link to, which I used to post on often, other people have had to search around before they could find an OEM equivalent EGR valve.

17087194 EGR valve was used on multiple engine sizes in these trucks. I have found these valve at the local U-Pull-It that look to nice to be original. I have been hording parts for my TBI truck. And no, I won't part with any of MY parts.

You should do the testing to make sure the old valve is bad. It could be plugged passages, a bad EGR solenoid, or something as simple as a bad vacuum hose.

Here are two long threads that have EGR discussion in them. Everything you need to know to test them should be there in the threads but ask me if you don't understand something.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=sea+foam

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348308
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Jeepwm69

I got it from Rockauto, and it was an AC Delco part. I think I'll return it. They have a Delphi unit available and I'll try that out, but first I'll see if I can figure out what the problem is with this one.

I get the same thing with my Jeeps. China is making all kinds of "OEMish" things now, but it's all crap, and I finally just figured out I'm better off buying used stuff or NOS original AMC stuff ($$$) than trying the replacement crap from China.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Jeepwm69

Ok, so I found this thread

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/275870/

and the part numbers listed there ARE the part numbers Rockauto lists for a 95GMC with 5.7L. That said, I KNOW the part number ON MY TRUCK is the 17087194.....so, should I try the AC Delco 2145073 or get the Delphi unit? I live in BFE so not a lot of options around to buy locally......
Old 11-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
Boog
laying low

Man o man. What's it all coming to when you can't even trust AC Delco? It's been several years since I've replaced any egr valves but I have never seen a Delco one come with washers.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Red88

I had the same OE part 17081794, replaced it with an AC Delco 214-5073 from Amazon about 6 months ago. No washers and has worked great since.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
I got it from Rockauto, and it was an AC Delco part. I think I'll return it. They have a Delphi unit available and I'll try that out, but first I'll see if I can figure out what the problem is with this one.

I get the same thing with my Jeeps. China is making all kinds of "OEMish" things now, but it's all crap, and I finally just figured out I'm better off buying used stuff or NOS original AMC stuff ($$$) than trying the replacement crap from China.
If Rockauto will take back the AC Delco with washers, I would send it back.

Personally I would not buy one that I could not see an actual photo of the valve before buying it.

If you can talk to them by phone, and their new EGR valve has the same number stamped on it as the original, then buy it.

Make sure the EGR valve is the problem before you spend money on parts.

It seems like everything made lately is of lower quality. Not only in auto parts either. I noticed the quality of clothing is going down hill fast too.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Man o man. What's it all coming to when you can't even trust AC Delco? It's been several years since I've replaced any egr valves but I have never seen a Delco one come with washers.
I have wonder if some of the parts in AC Delco boxes are made by someone else. Lowest bid, or counterfeit???

I have remove that part number I included in my post and will never give it out again. I would not suggest anyone use the junk that come with washers.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #13
sntrym95

I know this is an older thread, but it is extremely helpful. I recently had an EGR code and after some testing, determined it was the EGR valve. Bought this one from Amazon: Amazon.com: ACDelco 214-5073 GM Original... Amazon.com: ACDelco 214-5073 GM Original... and it works perfectly. I did a lot of research and part number lookups. This is the Negative EGR. Part number 214-5073. It is made in China though...
Old 04-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #14
ChevyTech

Glad it helped, and it is nice to see people finding what they need using a search.

My notes show the number you posted (AC Delco 214-5073) is a direct replacement for the original 17087194 negative back-pressure valve.

EGV627 = 17087194 =AC Delco 214-5073 = GM#19210654 = Negative Back pressure valve

In another four years they will have changed the replacement part number at least once.