The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Tilt

High mileage 5.3/6.0

I've been looking for either a 5.3 or 6.0 to swap into my 86 step side. I would rather by a complete donor than just a motor/trans. A lot of the vehicles I've been finding have 160,000-200,000+ miles on them. Should I stay away from something with that many miles, even if runs good/sounds good? If I did go with something with that many miles, would it be necessary to pull it apart and freshen it up? What would ya'll recommend doing to it before the swap? What parts to replace? The 86 is not and will not be a DD, just something to have fun in on the weekends if that matters at all.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
KEWLKATDADY

Re: High mileage 5.3/6.0

I just started the same project.
I bought a 192K mile 2500HD.

I personally would rebuild a 100K motor. But I want to be sure of what I'm working with. Plus a stock motor isn't any fun
Old 12-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
rdkonkel

I put in a 145,000 mile 5.3 in my 72. Added only headers. After having it tuned it was an animal ran it for years til I put too much nitrous on it.
Also got a shortblock free from the same guy. He said it was 180k + motor,
After tearing it down for inspection, couldn't tell it apart from a lower mileage one. Not even a hint of wear in the cylinder walls. I could still see the hone marks just slightly. This was my first "hell yeah" moment with these motors.
I just recently looked at an '02 2500 with a 6.0 with 315,000 miles. Thought it would be a mess. Started right up, idled nicely, and had good power when on the gas. Up north here the bodies of these trucks goes before the motors die. So 5.3's are a dime a dozen here. Bought last one from a junkyard complete for $250 with all front accessories.
Id say throw in a cheap high mile motor if money is tight then Take some time to build a monster, when budget allows.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
homemade87

These ls motors will run forever if taken care of . Seen some with close to 400,000 miles . These engines are not like the old days . 100,000 and there gone. They are just getting started. I have taken several 5.3 and 6.0 apart that had 100,000 plus on them and they looked like new . Getting one that someone never changed the oil is a chance you take. That's why you pull the bottom apart and check a couple bearing clearances. If bearing are not wore then chances are the cylinders are fine also. I would not be to scared of a high mileage motor , just check it out before you put it in. It will save you a lot of headache if you have to pull it back out.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Tilt

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. What ever I get, I plan on swapping the cam and supporting items to get a good lumpy sound and maybe a couple other go fast goodies. My target is somewhere in the 400hp range. Just have to figure out the best way to get there.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Old 12-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
H20cooled

I purchased a 4.8l with 140k on it and I'm replacing the cam on it, and same as other have said no wear at all on the cylinders when I took the heads off. Much different then I saw on my sbc. So you should be fine especially if you are going to do a cam swap with it, just replace some of the wear items oil pump, seals, water pump and you should be fine.

Rich
H20cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. What ever I get, I plan on swapping the cam and supporting items to get a good lumpy sound and maybe a couple other go fast goodies. My target is somewhere in the 400hp range. Just have to figure out the best way to get there.
400hp on a 6.0 is not a problem. Actually quite easy . If it has a set of 799 or 243 heads with a cam swap, decent exhaust and air intake and a tune your there. A 5.3 would be a little more difficult . You will have to be a little more creative to get that out of a 5.3. But doable . Either way these ls motors are a blast to drive. I don't even have a first gen motor any more .
Old 12-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

400hp on the 6L blocks is doable with the stock heads. Cam/tune/longtubes will get you very close (assuming engine is in good order, and chosen cam fits the needs). Whether or not you see 400 wheel HP will be partially determined by your drivetrain choice. Heavy trans, stall, and beefy rear end can eat up crank hp.

As for the actual mileage issue: if you change the timing chain and oil pump, there really isn't a ton internally you have to worry about. Yes spun bearings and other pre-existing conditions can happen, but ANY engine of unknown pedigree can have catastrophic failures. LS's are very mileage friendly, these are 300k motors.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
Tilt

Here's a quick update. I picked up an 04 Escalade with the LQ9 with 132K on the odometer. So I'll be starting with the stock 345hp. It has the 317 heads. I'm not planning on doing any machine work to them, maybe later on. I assume I will need to change the springs and pushrods for the cam. I am planing on an air intake, long tube headers, and full 3" exhaust to help it breath a little better. As far as the new cam, I'm thinking maybe the Torquer V2. http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1149-te...-camshaft.aspx
It will have a 4L80, and probably a set 3.73 gears. Once everything is together, I'll have a live tune done to dial it in. It will not be a daily driver, but will probably be driven quite a bit. I just want a quick little street truck.
This is the first truck I've done anything more to than just suspension, exhaust, interior, and body mods to, so any advise or critiques of my planned setup would be greatly appreciated.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Old 12-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
ls1nova71

Are you sure it has a 4l80e? An LQ9 should have a 4l60e/4l65e behind it.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
Tilt

Your right, the Escalade has the 4L65e. I am looking to find a 4L80 to go in the 86 when I do the swap.
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Old 12-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
homemade87

Quote:
Here's a quick update. I picked up an 04 Escalade with the LQ9 with 132K on the odometer. So I'll be starting with the stock 345hp. It has the 317 heads. I'm not planning on doing any machine work to them, maybe later on. I assume I will need to change the springs and pushrods for the cam. I am planing on an air intake, long tube headers, and full 3" exhaust to help it breath a little better. As far as the new cam, I'm thinking maybe the Torquer V2. http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1149-te...-camshaft.aspx
It will have a 4L80, and probably a set 3.73 gears. Once everything is together, I'll have a live tune done to dial it in. It will not be a daily driver, but will probably be driven quite a bit. I just want a quick little street truck.
This is the first truck I've done anything more to than just suspension, exhaust, interior, and body mods to, so any advise or critiques of my planned setup would be greatly appreciated.

Sound like a good start . The 317 heads will be fine . Same as the 243/799 just a little less compression but will make good power . I would consider getting one of the more well known cam people to spec you a cam instead of one off the shelf . It cost the same money and they will consider everything about your truck to get you one tailored to what you have . Believe me , it makes a difference . With that motor and some supporting mods like , cold air intake and exhaust with a set of long tube headers it will make between 400 and 425 at the flywheel with a good cam . Of coarse a good tune to go along with it . Don't waste you time street tuning it for your final tune . A dyno tune is the way to go . Ask me how I know . I wasted a lot of money in the end not taking it to the dyno . I gained 100 ft lb torque on the low end I did not know I had . Wow what a difference . Good luck with your build . They are a blast to drive when you get done .

Last edited by homemade87; 12-28-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
Tilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Sound like a good start . The 317 heads will be fine . Same as the 243/799 just a little less compression but will make good power.
The LQ9 is already at 10.04:1, would it really be worth it to find a set of 243/799 heads?
LQ9/4L80 swap (SOLD)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
homemade87

Quote:
The LQ9 is already at 10.04:1, would it really be worth it to find a set of 243/799 heads?

These ls engine's like compression . My stock ls2 is 10.9 with the 243 heads . Compression is a great way to build hp . There is nothing lacking with the 10.04 . It will make great power with the right cam . I would concentrate on getting the proper cam for your set up . That's what will make the big difference . On down the road if you decide to step it up you could get another set of heads.

I have progressed to a point I am going to send my 799 heads to Chris Franks at Frankenstein racing heads to get a cnc port job and a new cam from Martin Smallwood at tick Performance . Martin at Tick performance would be a good one to talk to for your cam . As I said it does not cost any more to get one spec for your set up . If you are a power monster like I am this would be the ultimate for the 6.0 . Its a want thing for me .

So in the end you have to decide what you want to do and what your goals are and decide from there. But what you have will make great power if done proper and a spec cam .