The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
BLAC

Smile 1959 Fleetside Short Bed Project

Hello Everyone, I just recently picked up a 1959 Fleetside short bed from the second owner (no engine or trans). The body is very nice and there are only a few areas where I have found rust, that bwing said im sure ill find more as I dig in....

My plan is to get an LS (ls1 or 5.3) in it, drop it on a dropped axel and a flipped rear end and drive it for a year or so while I put together an IFS, a 4 link and bag kit.

I typically build motorcycles and fabricate tanks/fenders etc so I look at this truck as a good way to practice body work and rust repair.

Now for the pictures

Bringing it home

Showing my grandpa what I found

Home sweet home

Taking a look under the skirt

Last edited by BLAC; 12-10-2018 at 10:43 PM.
BLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
BLAC

Re: 1959 Fleetside Short Bed Project

First thing first... I had to clean it up. I rented a pressure washer and went to town.

It only took me about 12 hours of seeing the truck in my back yard at stock height before buying a dropped axel...

I went with a CPP kit that included the 3-4" drop axel, power steering, rotors/calipers, new leafs, shocks.

Far from a test drive but it's getting better every day.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
BAM55

Hey man just checking you out. The truck looks to be in good shape.
BAM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
BLAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM55 View Post
Hey man just checking you out. The truck looks to be in good shape.
Thanks man, it's my first 'classic car' project but I think I'm starting our with some good bones.

I have a couple problem areas with rust I will upload some pics of later today, I need to place an order for some patch panels..

Last edited by BLAC; 12-11-2018 at 02:07 PM.
BLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Welcome...looks like you got a very good truck...i can see some of the normal problem areas ....cab corners,,,,rockers,,,,door bottoms,,,,but still a very good start...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
BLAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Welcome...looks like you got a very good truck...i can see some of the normal problem areas ....cab corners,,,,rockers,,,,door bottoms,,,,but still a very good start...
Yep, I considered looking for a cleaner cab for a while but the body of this truck is really straight and was priced below some much more ratty examples. I look forward to some of the rust repair as a learning experience because I haven't done it yet, that being said I'm sure ill get sick of it soon
Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
BAM55

Your issues with the cab is what I call a good start. All the issues you have are very typical for a 60 year old truck. I was not so lucky, I bought my truck in Cali but I swear it must have been transported from the East coast or something.lol
Old 12-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
BLAC

Quote:
Your issues with the cab is what I call a good start. All the issues you have are very typical for a 60 year old truck. I was not so lucky, I bought my truck in Cali but I swear it must have been transported from the East coast or something.lol
I was lucky to find mine between Compton and Lynwood in a guys back yard

Im the second owner and it was built in the LA factory and has been here its whole life. There is just one nasty spot behind the front passenger tire where some pine needles built up and the hinge pocket got some cancer... I'm sure it will be a fun repair..
Old 12-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
BAM55

Check out this video https://youtu.be/DCYxHax8C6M this is not all the rust but most of it.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
BLAC

Quote:
Check out this video https://youtu.be/DCYxHax8C6M this is not all the rust but most of it.

haha you basically have a whole new cab! great work!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #11
BAM55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAC View Post
I was lucky to find mine between Compton and Lynwood in a guys back yard

Im the second owner and it was built in the LA factory and has been here its whole life. There is just one nasty spot behind the front passenger tire where some pine needles built up and the hinge pocket got some cancer... I'm sure it will be a fun repair..
Typical spots are hinge pockets, lower rear of front fenders, and cab corners, and maybe steps and rocker. You are lucky if that is the only places you have rust. Those hinge pockets rust due to all the leaves and crap mixed with moisture that collected there over the years from fall through the cowl.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
BLAC

Quote:
This is the hinge pocket area on the passenger side... im not even sure which patch panels ill need...

Old 12-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Yep...your gonna be sick of rust repair before its over....and yours isn't that bad...I've seen much worse....
Do you have any experience welding thin sheetmetal?...what type welder do you have?.....I'd get some scrap pieces of sheet metal to practice on before you start the real thing....and if possible to access , a copper backer will help tremendously when welding the thin stuff...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 12-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #14
BAM55

You need two pieces. The outer and the inner patch panels

The outer panel is called Lower Hinge Piller Outer Pocket

The inner panel is called Hinge Pillar Inner Pocket

If you want someplace local to pick them up you have The car and truck shop in Orange, CA it will save you on shipping
Old 12-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #15
BLAC

Quote:
Yep...your gonna be sick of rust repair before its over....and yours isn't that bad...I've seen much worse....
Do you have any experience welding thin sheetmetal?...what type welder do you have?.....I'd get some scrap pieces of sheet metal to practice on before you start the real thing....and if possible to access , a copper backer will help tremendously when welding the thin stuff...
Yes I have shaped and welded motorcycle tanks, 16 and 20 gauge.

I have a Miller dynasty tig, a Miller 210 mig and a Smiths gas welding set.

I am more nervous about cutting into the car and getting it all in the right place. Ive only made new pieces, not patched into existing stuff
Old 12-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #16
BLAC

Quote:
You need two pieces. The outer and the inner patch panels

The outer panel is called Lower Hinge Piller Outer Pocket

The inner panel is called Hinge Pillar Inner Pocket
Awesome, I had those two pieces in my cart I was just afraid to buy it without knowing for sure. Thanks a ton! I am looking at the Triplus parts from AMD.

Ill get these parts ordered
Old 12-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #17
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Just sneak up on your cut line....cut it leaving some chicken to play with....grind and fit,,,,grind and fit,,,,grind and fit...youve welded 20ga so you know what to expect...
Those pieces may not be critical but if your gonna do much cutting and replacing you'll be money ahead to x brace the cab to keep things from moving around...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 12-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #18
BLAC

Quote:
Just sneak up on your cut line....cut it leaving some chicken to play with....grind and fit,,,,grind and fit,,,,grind and fit...youve welded 20ga so you know what to expect...
Those pieces may not be critical but if your gonna do much cutting and replacing you'll be money ahead to x brace the cab to keep things from moving around...
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I have been watching a ton of videos on Youtube and those guys make it look so easy! One guy has a great channel on youtube where he built a red truck and is doing a blue one for his dad now has been a massive help.

If anyone hasnt seen it, his vids are worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/user/1gibsonl4/videos
Old 12-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
dsraven

you maybe wanna check/rebuild the hinges first, then fit the door to the opening and tack in some cross braces before you take the door off and mess around with the hinge pillar. trust me, it is worth the effort when you are done and find the door still fits.
there is one more little piece you may also need and that is the front fender lower rear mount bracket. the part that the bolt and nut go through to hold the fender onto the cab.

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...ts/t70922.html

your truck looks pretty good. maybe just a clear coat for awhile till you figure out what you wanna do.
link up with Bam, if he can't fix something then it aint worth fixin.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #20
dsraven

before you start cutting stuff off, make a mark up higher on the pillar, level, and then do a few dimensions from there. like where the hinge bolts centerlines are, floor level is etc. take some pics as you go so you have something to reference when you are fitting stuff back together. even a cardboard cutout of the contour you are trying to match up would help. if the new piece doesn't fit the same then you will have air leaks, hinge and door fitment issues later on.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #21
dsraven

if you haven't already you may want to upgrade to a dual system brake set up for safety's sake.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:09 AM   #22
BLAC

Great info, I will definitely be taking a lot of pics and measurements. Im going to upgrade my booster but am unsure if i want to run 4 disks or just the front disks yet.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #23
BLAC

I was told that I can lower the front of the truck another couple inches by pulling the top leaf off and flipping it upside down then putting it back together, meaning the eyes of the top leaf would be facing down instead of up towards the truck. I have done some research but havent seen anyone talk about doing this... is it ok/safe to do?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #24
dsraven

well, I would say it would be a fun time getting the spring pack back together again and then you are running the main leaf in a configuration that is opposite to what it was made to do. personally, i wouldn't but i'm sure there is gonna be somebody who says go for it. they are new springs so at least you have that going for you as far as compared to using old springs which would likely crack after a few bends the "wrong way". they are arced for use the other way so using them backwards would be counter-intuitive because they would be simulating carrying a fair load just sitting on the ground installed upside down in the pack.
remember the main leaf, if cracked, is gonna give you a real ride because it is what orients the axle in the truck. any of the other leafs are just "going with the flow" and will cause a sag but not catastrophe if broken.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #25
BLAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
well, I would say it would be a fun time getting the spring pack back together again and then you are running the main leaf in a configuration that is opposite to what it was made to do. personally, i wouldn't but i'm sure there is gonna be somebody who says go for it. they are new springs so at least you have that going for you as far as compared to using old springs which would likely crack after a few bends the "wrong way". they are arced for use the other way so using them backwards would be counter-intuitive because they would be simulating carrying a fair load just sitting on the ground installed upside down in the pack.
remember the main leaf, if cracked, is gonna give you a real ride because it is what orients the axle in the truck. any of the other leafs are just "going with the flow" and will cause a sag but not catastrophe if broken.
Ya this is what I was afraid of. I was just unsure if it was a common modification. I might be better off pulling 1-2 leafs