The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
Hampshire

Steering Rack brands finding a Ford design 3 turn

The guy I built my truck with has been dogging me to get a slower rack than the 2.5 turn (for an 88 T-bird) on it now ....so, been researching getting a one-piece Ford design 3 turn rack originally for an 88 T-bird (and others), which appears to be difficult.

So far I've found Cardone 22-203F and Atlantic Automotive AAE6406.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...060#fragment-2

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-s..._0_2365_27990/

Specs from Atlantic:

http://www.aaesteering.com/steering-...=193&year=5034

The Cardone is sold locally through Advance Auto and the Atlantic though Autozone stores. A call to Autozone said they couldn't get an Atlantic. Their cheaper brand (Duralast) appeared to be TRW rebuilds.

I called Advance, they could get the Cardone, so went down to order one and then went to pick it up today. I quick test and it turned out to be 2.5 turns...back to the drawing board.

I talked to one suspension builder a couple week ago who said he ordered 6 supposedly 3 turn racks - what he got was (1) - the rest were 2.5....that doesn't look good..

... Kind of reluctant to get anything online with out someone testing it for turns... Anyone have any luck.?

Last edited by Hampshire; 09-26-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Steering Rack brands finding a Ford design 3 turn

Curious what's wrong with 2.5 turn. I have one and it's fine.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
Hampshire

Basically, I've been out voted - my builder (who is a good friend) and my wife think it's too twitchy (yes, she like to drive it - or anything with a stick shift). Anyway, I agree, it can feel like twitchy, but it seems I'm the only one who can used to it.

However, on the other hand...

A. I live in an area with winding, twisty roads - the hill towns of Western Mass. I could see liking a slower turning rack for a more "relaxed" ride.

B. I tried 80 mph on the highway - smooth, but a bit white knuckle in an "emergency" type move.

If I can do this smoothly and without great expense, I'm going to go ahead. The rack is coming off soon anyway to deal with a hose leak, so it's a good opportunity. Otherwise, i would probably let it go.

...also may have found a rack from a bud - update later
Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

You may want to email cardone support, I've had good luck getting info from them on questions like your asking. Tell them you want a 3 turn ford rack with the dimensions of a 87 Tbird. There are two versions of the rack, one with sport suspension ,2.5 turns, and one without sport suspension, 3 turns,

ATSCO 6406 is a 3 turn TRW type.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...&jnid=2&jpid=0
This one is a non metric fittings
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
mr48chev

Check with Detroit axle http://detroitaxle.com/ I've bought a couple of racks off them and several cv axles and have been real happy with what I got. They are on Ebay too.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
Hampshire

Thanks for the tips,guys. I've got one friend who may come through for me & I am also going to contact Cardone, as suggested. Turns out, they have a few distributors/regional retail chains with their hubs within an hours drive of me - sounds promising...
Old 09-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
dsraven

did you redo the pressure relief on the p/s pump so the system runs at the proper pressure? sometimes too much pressure in the system makes them twitchy. notably this happens with a ford rack and a chevy pump. there is a pressure kit sold for this reason but you could check the pressure to make sure it is within the ford spec for that rack. this is assuming the front end geometry is all correct.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
dsraven

sorry, just checked the start of your build thread and realize you are running a standard rack. just curious though, do your lower control arms sit parallel to the ground? it looks like the uppers are running at a slope downward to the outside. this could affect the steering because the camber will change over bumps. copy and paste this to google to check it out.
Automobile Ride, Handling, and Suspension Design

With Implications for Low-Mass Vehicles
Old 09-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
Hampshire

dsraven...thanks for the ideas.

First, I have a reduced pressure Borgeson Universal pump - works as advertised.

...Actually, I should clarify and not use the word "twitchy" as many call fast steering. It's just a bit too fast and there are no problems over bumps. Truck is a blast to drive and handles better than I had anticipated. I had a top street rod builder in our area take it for a long ride & he was really impressed with the overall handling. We talked about the problem in finding slower racks - he's dealt with it before, too - and would like to find racks that are no so fast. Like me, he wouldn't mind the steering a bit slower.

...so, just making some adjustments here - not addressing a major problem. Doing some caster/camber adjustments next week, too - as that will address the "feel", also...
Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
dsraven

so, didn't have time to carry on looking at your build thread but assume you changed to power steering. maybe you can lessen the spring pressure in the relief valve with a smaller spring to give less boost. 2 1/2 turns compared to 3 won't make much difference i wouldn't think. did you check out the steering geometry thing on google? really good read and informative as far as what can make your steering do funny things like you are experiencing, just a different wheel offset can do huge things that you wouldn't normally think of, then add in that the truck was made for a completely different steering system and you could have your problem amplified.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #11
dsraven

how about if you take the steering belt off and try it with no power steering. if it is way better then try reducing the pressure in the system.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
1project2many

I trust Cardone parts to a point just before the "C." I have received the worst garbage in Cardone boxes. Distributors filled with sand and not rebuilt, steering racks painted silver with original seals and sticking valves still installed, racks with inner tie rods that are falling off loose, brake master cylinders with pistons that bind up on the first application... I cringe to think about what must be happening to consumers who do not know to check for problems before the part is installed. I would source a used rack and do the work to rebuild it myself. Try car-part.com

Ratio reducing gear boxes are available to use on the input shaft if you have room. Stock car guys might have a used one sitting in a box somewhere. Run it backward and it will increase the number of input turns required.

http://www.colemanracing.com/Steerin...ers-P4753.aspx

http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=v...sub=!Quickners

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/S...ing%20quickner

Good luck in the quest.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #13
Hampshire

Quote:
Ratio reducing gear boxes are available to use on the input shaft if you have room. Stock car guys might have a used one sitting in a box somewhere. Run it backward and it will increase the number of input turns required.
...very interesting.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #14
Hampshire

...forgot I started this - might as well finish.

... found a 3-turn rack a few weeks ago. It's installed and the front end was re-aligned with a couple degrees of positive caster dialed in. The difference is noticeable, but not radical – let’s say it takes the edge off. Now, the handling is smoother, just as positive and fine with one arm resting on the windowsill. I can make quick moves at highway speed without it feeling like a go-kart. Last, thanks to the caster adjustment I was waiting to do, I can bring it up to 70mph on the highway with no 55mph wobble.

Very happy with my FE now – would do it this way again if I were to start over.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
Coach529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
...forgot I started this - might as well finish.

... found a 3-turn rack a few weeks ago. It's installed and the front end was re-aligned with a couple degrees of positive caster dialed in. The difference is noticeable, but not radical – let’s say it takes the edge off. Now, the handling is smoother, just as positive and fine with one arm resting on the windowsill. I can make quick moves at highway speed without it feeling like a go-kart. Last, thanks to the caster adjustment I was waiting to do, I can bring it up to 70mph on the highway with no 55mph wobble.

Very happy with my FE now – would do it this way again if I were to start over.
Thanks for sharing

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote