The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #126
mister.freeze

Re: Calling all 700R4 Experts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
How far a drive is work?
11.2 miles, no speed limit over 45.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #127
mister.freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
If you stomped on it and it went into 4th, doesn't that sound like the cable being too loose at normal throttle and when stretched a tad (while stomping on it) the pressure goes up enough to shift?
While that could be the case, the ‘whomp’ just kinda made the motor stumble rather than rev up to increase pressures. It gives me the feeling of a sticky valve, kinda like a sticky throttle.

Also, from all my adjusting, I feel like there’s too much tension at low trottle, which could be where the hang up is rather than the valve actually sticking.

Reducing tv cable tension makes the transmission shift earlier than I think it should, but 4th gear works. Tightening it to shift later (where I think it should), 4th goes away. Sooo... what I’m after is less tension near idle and more near WOT, meaning more travel. More travel means a longer bracket. Right?

The question of fluid viscosity is a good one. Not sure what fluid I used at the change, but I know it was an ‘accepted’ fluid. That’s not to say it had something different previously.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #128
mister.freeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
I think the answer was in post #100, I copied and pasted this from post 100 below....
--------------------
"Wow. Well... for starters, the short piece of shroud that actuallu goes in to the transmission is bigger than the “correct” cable, meaning the hile is bigger and the cable won’t seal. "
=========================================================================
the hole is bigger and the cable wont seal.......I would love to see a pic of the cable bolted to the transmission......really sounds like a T350 cable bolted to the 700R4....not even sure it can be done, but .........

the T350 cable is smaller in diameter at the trans than a 700r4 TV cable is...thats why the "HOLE IS BIGGER AND THE CABLE WON"T SEAL "

DOES YOUR TRANS LEAK ?
LOL!!!!!!!!!

The hole in the transmission matches the bigger sleeve on the cable. The cable fits and seals. It wouldn’t seal with the new cable.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #129
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

the thread that just keeps on giving....giving confusing BS....maybe use your hands and actually fix it...sitting in front of your computer reading wont fix this, made2drag will read for you too.....LOL!!!!!!! WHOMP WHOMP !!!!!! the reason the truck is called FOX, the truck is smarter than the owner....

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 05-30-2018 at 09:04 AM.
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #130
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister.freeze View Post
While that could be the case, the ‘whomp’ just kinda made the motor stumble rather than rev up to increase pressures. It gives me the feeling of a sticky valve, kinda like a sticky throttle.

Also, from all my adjusting, I feel like there’s too much tension at low trottle, which could be where the hang up is rather than the valve actually sticking.

Reducing tv cable tension makes the transmission shift earlier than I think it should, but 4th gear works. Tightening it to shift later (where I think it should), 4th goes away. Sooo... what I’m after is less tension near idle and more near WOT, meaning more travel. More travel means a longer bracket. Right?

The question of fluid viscosity is a good one. Not sure what fluid I used at the change, but I know it was an ‘accepted’ fluid. That’s not to say it had something different previously.
Perfect. Looks like youre near the finish line soon.
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #131
made2drag

Quote:
ok Mr Freeze.....I knew it was not a t350 cable on there...it was only HOPE.....

with all the modern day technology at your finger tips, the truck still is not fixed ....
Only going ask one question at a time.......

What do "you" really think is wrong ?

Last edited by made2drag; 05-25-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #132
made2drag

Quote:

So have you tried using a gps to make sure it really is shifting too soon MPH wise? If everything works (when it seems too loose to you) and your speedo is off due to big tires, you may actually be in the 17-20 mph 1st to 2nd range and 30 to 3rd and 45-50 to 4th. (mine shifts at 52 using a gps and I don't know if this is correct or not.)

At 50 with big tires you might see 43 on your speedo. I know with a shorter tire my speedo would read 60 when I was actually running 53 or whatever.

It is quite possible that when its shifting to 4th, its actually adjusted correctly.

When it shifts to 4th what is your MPH?
Old 05-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #133
made2drag

Im still thinking the 'whomp' making the motor stumble doesn't really matter (carb issue) as it still pulled the TV cable that adjusts the pressure to the trans.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #134
mister.freeze

The shift speeds I reported did come from GPS. My speedo is WAY off...

The whomp did pull the cable, whis is why I did it. Because the motor DID NOT rev, I don’t think pressures changed to cause the shift to 4th. THAT’S why I’m thinking sticky valve or too much preload in the cable.

The real issue, I guess, is why the trans started acting differently. I did not mess with the cable when I did the fluid and filter change. The trans worked as before for 1500 miles after that. It woukd stand to reason that cable and geometry are not at fault, but rather, as suggeted, something internal, not related to the cable or fluid. A stick valve would seem to fit that bill...Anyone agree or not?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #135
made2drag

Quote:

The whomp did pull the cable, whis is why I did it. Because the motor DID NOT rev, I don’t think pressures changed to cause the shift to 4th. THAT’S why I’m thinking sticky valve or too much preload in the cable.

The real issue, I guess, is why the trans started acting differently. I did not mess with the cable when I did the fluid and filter change. The trans worked as before for 1500 miles after that. It woukd stand to reason that cable and geometry are not at fault, but rather, as suggeted, something internal, not related to the cable or fluid. A stick valve would seem to fit that bill...Anyone agree or not?
I see now on the your motor rev theory. rpms and cable pull need to happen. I can see the bracket and cable not coming in the picture in the beginning as it was working before and not now. But since the cable has been adjusted again, it may be off now. Sticky valve since fluid change and lucas?... so the only thing that's changed is fluid. So the incorrect cable geo that actually worked at the wrong angle before has now been messed with but might not have been the problem. Weird.

So filter, fluid (dextron 3 compatible) and you put lucas in also, changed it from shifting to 4th to needing TV cable adjustment in order to shift.

There is like 12 quarts of atf in the trans so changing the 4 or 5 that actually drains seems weird to make a big change. I could see f it slipped or didn't work afterwords, being the clutch material drained caused it not to engage anymore.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #136
made2drag

Quote:

How much would it cost you to get a transmission shop to just adj the TV cable with a pressure guage? Seems to be a 20 min job. If you got the TV cable adj exactly right, at least that would either fix it or be out of the picture.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #137
made2drag

Go 55 and move your shifter from OD to D, D to OD and go back and fourth... see if it shifts. Do it 5 to 10 times.

Also, I read one of your posts saying you put Lucas in with your trans already full but then lost so fluid. Got to make sure your dead on full mark on dipstick after you drive 11 miles to work.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:30 PM   #138
mister.freeze

I moved the brass thingy just a tad to add a touch more tension because it was shifting entirely too soon. Now it shifts at (GPS) 20, 30, and 45 under very light throttle.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #139
made2drag

Post Re: Calling all 700R4 Experts!

Quote:
I moved the brass thingy just a tad to add a touch more tension because it was shifting entirely too soon. Now it shifts at (GPS) 20, 30, and 45 under very light throttle.
Awesome! I believe that is exactly how it should shift according to the sites and videos ive seen. I'd say you fixed it and im glad you didnt drop the pan and monkey around with stuff that wasnt broke. Good deal!
Old 05-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #140
mister.freeze

Thanks. Still weird, tho.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #141
mister.freeze

Well crap. Reverse quit. Just when it was working as it should...
Old 09-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #142
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Any noises other than the wallet coming out of your back pocket.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #143
made2drag

Thumbs down Re: Calling all 700R4 Experts!

Quote:
Any noises other than the wallet coming out of your back pocket.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #144
mister.freeze

nope. Just wouldn't go one day. Forward gears are all fine. the jaw drop was louder than the wallet...
Old 09-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #145
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

You still driving it and when you park make sure you don’t have to use reverse.

Well you did get to use it for a few months after the transmission got new fluid. Do you think you may drop the pan and see the burnt up clutch material in the pan

Do you think a valve is stuck. Fluid look great.

The tv cable adjustment can not fix a no reverse issue.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #146
mister.freeze

Haven’t dropped the pan yet. Sacred to. Will drive it to a shop. Will report back.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #147
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Hope it all works out for you and the FOX. Best of Luck.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #148
mister.freeze

Thanks. We'll see.