The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Smoothie wheel for disc brake

I'm looking at summit racing US Wheel steel 15x8 series 51 smoothie wheel. I called us wheel and they said no, won't work with my 1960 with disc brakes. They gave me measurement of 7.5" from beed to center. I called CPP they said Measure top of caliper to center of dust cap. I seem to get 6-3/4". CPP also says to ask if they'll got 71 C10. I call US Wheel back and they say yes 71 C10 with drum, my understanding is 71 was all disc, maybe not, so I ask again and he says if stock 71 C10 they'll work. I call summit, they get some info and say they should work on 71 c10 with disc.

Anyone know?
Attached Images

MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
hewittca

Re: Smoothie wheel for disc brake

That's a tough call on that one. Too bad you can't get your hands on a wheel to throw it on there and see for sure. I know the Wheel Vintiques 12 Series will fit over a standard disk brake swap, and those wheels are similar to those US wheels. If I were you, I'd remeasure with the ruler at the center of the caliper. From that angle, it looks like where you are measuring may be shorter than if you measure at the center.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
That's a tough call on that one. Too bad you can't get your hands on a wheel to throw it on there and see for sure. I know the Wheel Vintiques 12 Series will fit over a standard disk brake swap, and those wheels are similar to those US wheels. If I were you, I'd remeasure with the ruler at the center of the caliper. From that angle, it looks like where you are measuring may be shorter than if you measure at the center.
Well summit says they'll take back and pay return shipping if no fit, so I ordered. If not and the wheel vintiques work I'll swap for them. I liked that these were just a bit different.

I also measured at about every point along caliper and seemed to have 7" @ furthest point.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
hewittca

That's going to be a tight fit! On my old Malibu, I had 12" rotors and Wilwood calipers behind stock 15" rallye wheels. I had to file the calipers down some to get them to fit behind the wheels, but I was committed to those wheels and wanted them to work. That's always a possibility for you as well if it's really close to fitting and you're willing to make it work.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
TJUCLA98

A buddy of mine did a disk brake upgrade on mine with a kit using 90's Chevy truck 6-lug calipers. I have these wheels. I couldn't tell you if they are US Wheel or Wheel Vintiques (see photo attachments) but I had no issues clearing the discs & calipers.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
PGSigns

I am running the wheel vintiques 12 series 15X7 on the front and no issues. Running 2 1/2" drop spindles. I went with the narrower wheel to gain room on the lower control arm.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote