The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
msg

66 bench frame repair question

Not sure what to call this, its not the springs but the coil like suspension where a break happened that I didnt see. Trying to figure out the repair. On the side that is not broken it looks like this.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
msg

Re: 66 bench frame repair question

On the other side there is a break, but the coil looks like it either was overlapped where it shouldnt have been or happened to get this this somehow. I was going to reweld it up but didnt know if it needs to be free'd up first to point downward like the other side.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Pinchecharlie

Lmc sells the side support spring but it's ridiculously expensive. I only know because I just did both of mine and the other one as well. So you can Google upholstery supplies and then look at springs. They don't make the square shaped springs but make a S spring and you can do the same thing with it as the original one. Or...you can buy perimeter wire in 1/8 inch and bend it with a brake line bender. I searched high and low for the right spring or a donor but ended up just making it. It is easy to do.(maybe not perfect but pretty good) and it will only be seen once. On other searches I've seen guys double up the side springs for extra strenght. You can buy the clips and stuff for cheap. There also a paper covered wire that you can use to clip all the seats springs together with - spring stake wire. With old springs that are starting to sag a bit , tying them all together helps distribute the weight on the whole seat and really firms up the base. I re bent the springs, doubled the outer support spring then staked all the interior springs together and it was day and night better. So Google the above and it will show you what I mean. Also I'll give you a couple of springs if you pay shipping. Shouldn't be to much. Some places have minimum orders and what not so I had to buy more than I needed. Hope this helps
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
msg

Thanks for the info on how you were able to solve this and the offer, I was hoping to get it loose and reweld it together. Maybe that along with sistering up another wire bent up to match the spring contours and then clip or weld them together?
Old 04-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
Pinchecharlie

Well if you listen to experts...you can not weld spring steel? It is so freaking hard and in a weird way brittle. They say if you weld it it goes bad but I bet if you weld it it will be fine. May just prove to be difficult because of where they break. Anyway it cost me about 1t bucks to r3build my entire seat and most of that was shipping. I allr3ady had some stuff from other projects but the clips and stake wire are pennies. If you didn't want spri g steel wire you. Would just go get steel or stainless from the metal shop and bend that I bet. It's buried in foam when it's done so you could use heavier gauge too and no one could ever kick your tires. The springs you buy are dramatically more springy though just fyi and after you bend the shape it is a spring rate of I dunno maybe 50 lbs. It's strong lol. Let me k ow and I'll mail you a couple I bet it would cost 4 or 5 bucks. I'll through in some cla.ps too. The reason they have paper around em is so the don't squeak. I had to ask lol. Cheers and another good tip from ethics forum is a new seat foam from Tuckers. It's says it's for 67 and up but it fits these delu,e seats like the one you have. Just got mine and it's pretty cheap. If you need a part # let me know. Ok I type to much. I should do something on my truck !
Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
Pinchecharlie

Picture of my fix , yes i am a hack but I tested it with the foam and it's way better. I guy who did not get hit in the head as much as me could do even better!
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
msg

Looks great to me, main thing is that it sturdies up the springs to not sink down so much. I like it!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #8
rvrfoot

That will be fine.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
Pinchecharlie

Well if you want to give it a go...let me know via pm and I'll send you a couple 3 springs and a hand full of clips and bobs your uncle . I don't care at all, I figure as many rotten things I've done in my life I could stand to give back a little . No strings attached lol!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

Oh that's a great idea on the springs. I was going to do that but didn't think of the clasps that you used, so now I can buy something else.
What are the Part Numbers for the clips and stake wire, where did you purchase them please?
Did you use polyester or hemp Spring Twine?

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 04-23-2018 at 03:48 PM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
rvrfoot

Zig zag auto upholstery.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Oh that's a great idea on the springs. I was going to do that but didn't think of the clasps that you used, so now I can buy something else.
What are the Part Numbers for the clips and stake wire, where did you purchase them please?
Did you use polyester or hemp Spring Twine?
I know you didn't ask me but here's some links for 2 different style clips. I have used both styles to repair a seat:

Lined C clips like shown in the above photo

https://www.amazon.com/C-S-Osborne-B...g+spring+clips

Edge wire clips

http://www.gencosupplies.com/product...pid=81&cid=101
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #13
TKCR

USA1 Industries has the End springs. They also have a video on this page.

https://www.usa1industries.com/produ...cat=394&page=1

And you can get the clips from Clips and Fasteners. But it's like 250 of them. I can send you some. I get a bunch on hand since I use them & the springs to repair the seat frames.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/250.../cso4450-3.htm
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #14
Pinchecharlie

nice work boys! way to look after one another! one less thing...right!!
Old 04-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #15
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
nice work boys! way to look after one another! one less thing...right!!
Cept for post #10.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #16
Pinchecharlie

Oh s@#$ sorry rockn! I'll volunteer the clips to you cause I have a bunch. I'll have to look to see where I got the stake wire. I bought it a few years ago to do another seat. Truth is I think it will be about the same anywhere. You buy by the foot and the s seat springs you buy by the foot or by a specific length and quantity. Pm me and I'll send you a couple of springs and clips for gratis you get postage. I'll find the stake wire or the links above probably have them too. I had to completly rebuild all springs and wire on a split bench for my 49 so these are pretty easy. Sorry buddy ive enjoyed your stuff on here but i really did get hit in the head alot. I was 43 and 15 as a pro at 126lb with over 100 amateur fights as a kid. My docter thinks i got hit in the head 50k times lol. I'd like to hit him actually. At 50 now and was diagnosed with onset dementia. Sucks unless i just need to ignore you lol! Pm for real and I'll send ya wht I have. Plenty good to do this mod/repair
Old 04-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #17
Pinchecharlie

Just remembered! Rockford supply! but...most was bulk ordered.
I should say to that home upholstery guys tie springs together with twine and I 've seen guys on the ham@ use zip ties. Just meant to spread the load doesn't matter I don't guess. Used to be an old guy on you tube that rebuilt a tireless carriage seat using s springs and coil springs and wire like the old way. Tha t's what I copy catted. They even make cool little benders and all manner of hand tools for springs and stretching them but $$$ i even bought a walking foot sewing machine but alas i suck at it. Did make some curtains for my wife but they are as crooked as a politician.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #18
msg

Pinchecharlie, I left a PM earlier today with my info. Just making sure you got it.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #19
msg

hey Pinchecharlie, I was trying to PM you but your inbox is full. Did you happen to send me anything? Just checking, havent seen anything.