The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #51
truckster

Re: Are sleepers still a thing?

I'm sorry, a IROC-Z isn't a sleeper, no matter how quick it is. A sleeper is a vehicle that isn't expected to be fast. The IROC was marketed as being fast.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #52
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I'm sorry, a IROC-Z isn't a sleeper, no matter how quick it is. A sleeper is a vehicle that isn't expected to be fast. The IROC was marketed as being fast.
LoL.... They were almost as fast as a stock (stock) 5.0 Fox body. Almost. Corporate advertising to get your 'buy-in' is just that. I never rode around in a stock Iroc-Z that had me thinking they were fast.

That Iroc-Z in the link could hang w/Farm Truck w/o the ginormous exhaust, big bore BBC, & huge slicks.

We don't have to agree.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #53
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
LoL.... They were almost as fast as a stock (stock) 5.0 Fox body. Almost. Corporate advertising to get your 'buy-in' is just that. I never rode around in a stock Iroc-Z that had me thinking they were fast.

That Iroc-Z in the link could hang w/Farm Truck w/o the ginormous exhaust, big bore BBC, & huge slicks.

We don't have to agree.
I didn't say they were fast, only that they were marketed as being fast. They had a whole racing series to market them. When I think of a sleeper, I think of a grocery-getter that acts like its momma raced in NHRA drags.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:52 PM   #54
davischevy

When I think of "sleeper", I don't necessarily think of the fastest thing around, but, a vehicle that is a lot faster than anyone expects it to be.

Obviously, my Longhorn is not going to be a 13 second machine, just faster than a typical old 3/4 ton truck.

RE; Chevelles. I think of the third gen Chevelle as more of a sleeper because they had been neutered by low compression. A four door 70 Chevelle would be a sleeper.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #55
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

Obviously, my Longhorn is not going to be a 13 second machine, just faster than a typical old 3/4 ton truck.
It's like my old worn out C/20 It doesn't look fast but it is.

Long story short. It needed a motor. I was getting divorced and had to sell it to my buddy. Flash forward a couple years and his son is getting married, and he needed money for the wedding. He asked me if I wanted it back.

Quick answer: Yes.

I'm not sure what the motor that he put in it can do. But I do know that he spent a lot of money on it. He said it has 400 HP. which may or may not be true. He's kind of a big talker.

She's not the prettiest girl at the dance. But she sure can move.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #56
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post

I'll bet she has a really nice personality.

Actually, I like your old truck a lot.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #57
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
("IT'S SLOWER THAN YOUR MOM'S MODERN MINIVAN PEOPLE. Leave me alone ")

hahahahahahahaha
Isn't it kinda sad (and awesome???) how true this is. We all want to believe all of our old stuff is awesome and fast, but for most of us, it's just not. They can sure sound awesome though.

On the 65 Mustang from a Road and Track article from 1964:

Quote:
As for straight-line performance, R&T's 210-horsepower 289/four-speed car did about what the editors expected: 0-60 mph in nine seconds (vs. 11.2 for an automatic 260), a standing quarter-mile of 16.5 at 80 mph, 110 mph all out, and 14-18 mpg.
I can attest to the auto's being SUPER slow. Before I swapped to a 5sp with 3.25 rear, it was a C4 auto with a 2.80 and 2 barrel carb. It just kinda floated along.

My 2020 2.0L Turbo Equinox new family whip. I read another source where they got the 0-60 down to 6.3, that may have been an AWD version:

Quote:
The 2020 Chevrolet also offers another engine. It is an 2-liter Inline 4 that spills out 252 hp @ 5500 rpm and 260 lbs.-ft. @ 2500 rpm of torque. This powertrain is available with the 2LT 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 9A) and helps the car to reach from 0-60 MPH in 6.8 seconds. The Chevrolet Equinox covers the quarter-mile run in just 15.2 seconds.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #58
truckster

Quote:

It could be the twin of one I used to own.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #59
72c20customcamper

Quote:
It's like my old worn out C/20 It doesn't look fast but it is.

Long story short. It needed a motor. I was getting divorced and had to sell it to my buddy. Flash forward a couple years and his son is getting married, and he needed money for the wedding. He asked me if I wanted it back.

Quick answer: Yes.

I'm not sure what the motor that he put in it can do. But I do know that he spent a lot of money on it. He said it has 400 HP. which may or may not be true. He's kind of a big talker.

Very nice
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #60
1976gmc20

Nice thing about a pickup like that, folks always yield right of way to you at a 4-way stop
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:13 PM   #61
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
The average Joe didn't coin the term 'sleeper'. People in the automotive hobby w/knowledge of capable combinations labeled them. Anything w/huge exhaust pipes & tires you can see just don't fall into the category. I agree, Farm Truck is faster than it looks but the sound of the motor & visual details suggest it will (and should) run.

Put Farm Truck against that Iroc-Z & which is the sleeper?
Do you remember the '80's?
Big tires and loud exhaust does not automaticly = fast.
I have watched many a fat tire, loud as heck car run 14's at the 1320, all day, not just one run down the track. So, fat tires and loud would not make me automaticly think super fast.
Like I said above, it isn't grandpa looking/sounding sleeper. but with what it is, and what it had been able to keep up with or beat, it is a sleeper at that level.
On any given week end night, There might be a vehicle that show up that look really dast, and wasn't and another that was darn fast. or the car that looked like grandma loaned to you, that went like stink.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:24 PM   #62
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Heh, one of my younger brothers bought the '60 Chevy Parkwood wagon from the estate after my mother died. He put a 355 Chevy in it, with some sort of 3 speed OD trans, maybe a 200 or a 700, well beefed for the horsepower put into it. Some kind of Ford 9", mid- 3.5x rear posi gear. Not all that loud. So, he's sitting at a light, and a couple of guys in a newer Suburban are looking over and chuckling at the old guy in the station wagon (he was about 56 at the time). The light goes green, he gets a huge hole shot, and is stopped at the next light when the 'burb guys pull up, and ask him what he has in it. He just replied, "I don't know, it's my mom's car".

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:49 PM   #63
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan View Post
Do you remember the '80's?
Big tires and loud exhaust does not automaticly = fast.
I have watched many a fat tire, loud as heck car run 14's at the 1320, all day, not just one run down the track. So, fat tires and loud would not make me automaticly think super fast.
Like I said above, it isn't grandpa looking/sounding sleeper. but with what it is, and what it had been able to keep up with or beat, it is a sleeper at that level.
On any given week end night, There might be a vehicle that show up that look really dast, and wasn't and another that was darn fast. or the car that looked like grandma loaned to you, that went like stink.
Yes, I was alive & well aware of things. I've been a gear head since the start. I've seen/heard many a 'loud' exhaust big tire ride & can typically detect the posers. Again, I included that Iroc-Z because I didn't give it a second glance. Then I watched it pick-off ride after ride that it looked like it had no business picking-off. Damn 10sec ride w/the big hit.

You guys don't have to agree. It doesn't bother me. But when I watched that car line-up I figured it was an easy win for the competition. Then.... it won. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Crazy thing was then I would see it driving around during the week blending in w/everything else around it not seeming out of place @ all. Just another cheesy plastic 90's TPI car.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 01-15-2021, 12:03 AM   #64
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Yes, I was alive & well aware of things. I've been a gear head since the start. I've seen/heard many a 'loud' exhaust big tire ride & can typically detect the posers. Again, I included that Iroc-Z because I didn't give it a second glance. Then I watched it pick-off ride after ride that it looked like it had no business picking-off. Damn 10sec ride w/the big hit.

You guys don't have to agree. It doesn't bother me. But when I watched that car line-up I figured it was an easy win for the competition. Then.... it won. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Crazy thing was then I would see it driving around during the week blending in w/everything else around it not seeming out of place @ all. Just another cheesy plastic 90's TPI car.
Many ways to skin a cat.
Many vehicles that are surprise, it is the whole package, not just dumping hp at it. They science out the whole drivetrain and able to use what is thrown at it to the ground.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:19 AM   #65
Just call me Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I'll bet that car is slow.

K
I thought we were talking about real Chevelles.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:23 AM   #66
Sheepdip

This with an LS-7 is a sleeper:
Attached Images

Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:46 AM   #67
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRacefan View Post
Many ways to skin a cat.
Many vehicles that are surprise, it is the whole package, not just dumping hp at it. They science out the whole drivetrain and able to use what is thrown at it to the ground.
Exactly. A wolf that seemlessy blends in among the sheep even to those aware of the game.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-15-2021, 08:05 AM   #68
4u2nv

Are sleepers still a thing

Some of my Grandkids still wear them !!
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #69
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just call me Sean View Post
I thought we were talking about real Chevelles.
Ouch.

(lol)
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #70
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4u2nv View Post
Are sleepers still a thing

Some of my Grandkids still wear them !!
Beat me to it. I was going to post a pic of Dr. Denton's footed pajamas.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #71
68bowtie

I had this 69 dart back in college. Perfect grandma-style baby blue and white two-tone paint. Not the greatest pictures, but I kept the body/interior just like the first pic, and installed a 383 with a lumpy cam, 727, 8-3/4 with skinny tires and hub caps (which you can sort of see in the second pic). It was hard to squeeze that big block in there!

Pulling into parking lots on cruise night people just stared, because what they heard didn't match what they saw.

Name:  d-dartstock.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  ENGINE1.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  48.5 KB

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #72
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
I had this 69 dart back in college. Perfect grandma-style baby blue and white two-tone paint. Not the greatest pictures, but I kept the body/interior just like the first pic, and installed a 383 with a lumpy cam, 727, 8-3/4 with skinny tires and hub caps (which you can sort of see in the second pic). It was hard to squeeze that big block in there!

Pulling into parking lots on cruise night people just stared, because what they heard didn't match what they saw.

Attachment 2074399

Attachment 2074400
That is a nice looking car
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:25 PM   #73
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post

Attachment 2074399

Attachment 2074400
Those bring good money these days.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #74
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Are sleepers still a thing?

This was the 56 Bel Air we had. It was a sleeper for sure! It was left all orignal outside and inside. Only adding AC and a blue tooth radio.

But underneath was a total different story. LT-1 motor out of a 96 SS Impala tuned with a 4l60 over drive. Headers with 3" S/S pipes all the way out back. Front power disc brakes up front. She would do 130 easy and still had more but I ran out of road. I drove it at Charlotte motor speedway at 100MPH around the track several laps.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #75
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Never judge a book by its cover.

I've been married enough times to figure that out.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote