The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Dimebagdavesc30

283 alternator bracket racket.......

Well if you haven't figured out already, I'm new to this whole restoring of vehicles. So my problem is when I bought my used motor from a local junk yard I ended up with a 283 instead of a 350 and the swap has been challenging to say the least. the 283 is a 1961 or 62, my original motor is a 1972 350 four bolt main, and no it's not for sale. the plan is to rebuild the 350 and swap it back into my truck and then rebuild the 283 for the car like a Vega or some other small car.
the issue is two things not matching up..... The alternator, because the heads don't have bolt holes and I had to swap exhaust manifolds which I have no bolt holes in the exhaust manifold either. I tried a couple brackets but either don't fit or don't line up.... I had to switch the intake to upgrade to a four barrel carb, then the valve covers for the oil port it was in the intake, then the exhaust manifolds to angle back, then the oil pan because it was to long and yeah the motor is sitting in the truck finally. I have the original short water pump and pulley from the 350 because the 283 didn't have them.......
The second issue is the Z-bar on the clutch linkage. The 350 has a two bolt knuckle that supports the Z-bar, but the 283 lacks the bolt holes for the knuckle...... I have know ideal what to even look for. I know it's a pivot ball but I real don't see where such a thing could bolt up because I didn't see any bolt holes in the area and there is a few different ones..... anyone know these motors or have ideals around these issues for a restore on a budget, yeah apparently a no cap budget, up, up, up and away.
I haven't cut corners I put new clutch assembly, turned the flywheel, new gaskets, opened up everything and checked everything. broke one exhaust manifold and replaced it with new, new alternator, new starter.... I am reusing the water pump, fuel pump and carb for now because those are easy swaps. upgrading to HEI......
mahalo for any and all......
Dimebagdavesc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: 283 alternator bracket racket.......

Stop thinking 72 350 and start thinking earlier 283 for mounts and brackets , the 283 really runs just fine with the stock intake and 2 barrel . Switching to a 4 barrel isn't going to improve much of anything and depending on what carb you choose may be too much for the 283 .
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
geezer#99

Sounds like you're really having fun swapping parts.
The z bar pivot ball is easy. You make one yourself.
Look here for ideas.
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...66.5XggI1GpxRE

With new valve covers, are you setting up a pcv?

And for other brackets check here.
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

your alt bracket is really easy to get and they sell the one that goes from your water pump to the top of your alt here look.

I will up load what the brackets really look like dose your driver side Rame horn hve bolt holes on the end of it

my email stsalvage at yahoo dot com I have all the parts to make that system work for the 260 283 and 327 engines work
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Update on pics what you need and what you don't need this is to help all that have this problem.

Needing the right parts for the right Engine.Some engines are way different.No bagging on the newbies.But this is a crash course on what to look for at the swap meets or Ebay or Craigslist.

I have added all 3 exhaust manifolds 2 are right for your truck the other is for the car or Corvette.

One thing about exhaust manifolds You are not forces to use gaskets You can have them planned meaning you put them on a big sanding belt and have them evened.Then bolt them to your heads.

most people thing No you can't do that.GM been doing it ever sense they had exhaust manifolds.

reason for this is exhaust manifolds flex heads do not unless you lay them down flat.

But on the side of the head where the exhaust manifold bolts to never seems to have a problem.

Now back to the lesson.There are 2 types of exhaust manifolds one is a straight down shot

The other is the Curve reason for this was GM moved the motor forward a few inches so that's why we have to types years to look for is 1963-67 had the straight some late 67 had the curve and 1968-72 had the curve.

Now the 2 brackets that make this whole system work are still sold today LMC and www.truckandcarshop.com on the top bracket that holds the top of the alt it might need a little modifying but noting a vise won't take care of.

Now your trying to figure out why GM had 2 different type of heads.

That was how GM learned what word and what didn't.Plus Gm never looked at heads as a place to put brackets later they learned it was a good place.

So i have added all the pic's to help you in your search to put your truck back together right with the right brakets
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Now all this works by using the 283-327 small water pump if you do not use the small water pump your back to square 1 and your on your own.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

now there are 2 types of exhaust manifolds one have the straight drop out and the other has the curve
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

the one exhaust manifold to stay away from cus it's for the Car so here it is plus its for the Corvette
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Sounds like you're really having fun swapping parts.
The z bar pivot ball is easy. You make one yourself.
Look here for ideas.
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...66.5XggI1GpxRE

With new valve covers, are you setting up a pcv?

And for other brackets check here.
http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/
Boy you know how to scare the newbies.Boy i'm glad i'm a stock kinda guy
Old 03-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Stop thinking 72 350 and start thinking earlier 283 for mounts and brackets , the 283 really runs just fine with the stock intake and 2 barrel . Switching to a 4 barrel isn't going to improve much of anything and depending on what carb you choose may be too much for the 283 .
Posted via Mobile Device
I still think a 4bb would not be that bad if you jet it down to a 600 Plus them 2 bb carbs did not do much for heavy pulling I ran a 4V on a 307 for 3 years in a 1965 3/4 ton.It did way better then the 2 bb did

Plus a alum intake take so much heat away from the motor that cast iron holds so much heat.Why do you think GM uses Alum intakes now.Better flow.If you can see pics of one already down half the battle is won.Plus with my pics on the brackets 3/4 of the battle is done I'm a stock guy But i leave room for improvement
Old 03-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #11
Brave71

Anyone use that type of exhaust manifold with long water pump?
Brave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #12
specialtyretail
So,, what else you got???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave71 View Post
Anyone use that type of exhaust manifold with long water pump?
No, but I did use Dexcool antifreeze in a truck with a wooden bed floor. Surprisingly, the turn signals still worked. Thanks, Fred.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #13
1970 charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I still think a 4bb would not be that bad if you jet it down to a 600 Plus them 2 bb carbs did not do much for heavy pulling I ran a 4V on a 307 for 3 years in a 1965 3/4 ton.It did way better then the 2 bb did

Plus a alum intake take so much heat away from the motor that cast iron holds so much heat.Why do you think GM uses Alum intakes now.Better flow.If you can see pics of one already down half the battle is won.Plus with my pics on the brackets 3/4 of the battle is done I'm a stock guy But i leave room for improvement
Had a 70 nova in high school put a 283 with a 268h comp cam oem power pack heads and alum intake and a 600 holley and ran like a raped ape.Back to the alternator bracket, back in the day when you put headers on you would use the front two exhaust port mounting holes to mount a bracket, for that set upyou should still be able to get that bracket.
1970 charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #14
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyretail View Post
No, but I did use Dexcool antifreeze in a truck with a wooden bed floor. Surprisingly, the turn signals still worked. Thanks, Fred.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:57 PM   #15
Dimebagdavesc30

well an update on the brackets. I just made both, the one for the pivot ball and one for the alternator bracket. it is working so far. the reason for the swap to the 4 barrel was because the 2 barrel on the 283 was damaged. I would post pics but it keeps saying I am missing a security token. thanks for the help. wish I would have known they sold a curved exhaust manifolds for the 283 earlier, it would have been easier..... I found this motor at a junk yard, it is a 1962 283....... I put a hei distributor and got it to turn over but it's coughing through the carb. I know I have gas(it's spitting it out the carb and you can smell it at the back of the truck.) and I know I have spark( I didn't know what to do with the wires coming from the bottom of the distributor, my buddy said, you do nothing yours don't have a brain. Well, it has to plug into the distributor itself to have spark, I know it's my first engine swap and I picked a harder one and not just a swap the same motors......), it's trying to start. So I'm not sure I'm not 180 on the distributor and might be one off on the firing order, not 100% on which was number one on the distributor..... Going to do some research and see what I might be doing wrong or what I'm missing. I at least got to hear it turn over and it sounded sweet, can't wait to hear it purr..... Thanks all
Dimebagdavesc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:03 AM   #16
El Dorado Jim

you can't post pics, because you have to make them smaller 640 x 480 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...to+upload+pics

Last edited by El Dorado Jim; 04-04-2016 at 03:16 AM.
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote