The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
NC_John

Noisy doors

A few years ago, when I was still early in this "project," I replaced all my window seals and felts, channels included.

Lately I've noticed that the doors still rattle like hell when I close them and a lot of the noise is the windows rattling around. I don't know that they were ever quiet (have had to slam the doors since I got door seals) but its really starting to irritate me. Sounds like a junker.

Assuming everything is bolted down and tight did I just get cheap seals/felts or is there something else I can do?

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Noisy doors

Does it sound better when the window is tightly rolled up or fully down compared to 1/2 way ? ,Sounds like your regulators are rattling , They could just be worn out or in need of a good dose of white lithium grease ? Also check the plastic "rollers" for wear . Another cause of a rattling door would be the support under the vent window is cracked ,Are the gaps along the top of the door edge/glass consistent front to rear ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
Fbks_Cruiser

GMC Paul sells a anti rattle kit. Might give that a try.

Matt
Fbks_Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
darrellyates

Another thought... and this will not stop rattling, but will make the door sound less "tinny"..

I put one sheet of dynamat on the inside skin of the door. It absorbs a lot of vibration when you close the door, and it doesn't sound as cheap. More of a solid "thunk" when it shuts, less ringing. If your release rods are loose, or the regulator is sloppy, it will still rattle, but if it's the sheet metal vibrating, the sound mat really helps. I used it with my cheap aftermarket doors. I think it worked pretty well...

Spraying cavity wax might work OK too... just pull all the moving parts before you do it.

Good Luck!
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #5
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Does it sound better when the window is tightly rolled up or fully down compared to 1/2 way ? ,Sounds like your regulators are rattling , They could just be worn out or in need of a good dose of white lithium grease ? Also check the plastic "rollers" for wear . Another cause of a rattling door would be the support under the vent window is cracked ,Are the gaps along the top of the door edge/glass consistent front to rear ?
About the same all the way up or down. Window action is good. Everything is even. I suspect its just the sum of 50 year old parts.

I have got my eye on some bear claw door latches that are supposed to be available soon. Maybe when I do that I can spend some time inside the door checking everything out more closely.

I'm going to be happy as heck when I don't have to slam them and the door locks start working properly.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbks_Cruiser View Post
GMC Paul sells a anti rattle kit. Might give that a try.
Thats the same channel kit I've already done. Made it better when I did it but still not where I want it to be.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
Another thought... and this will not stop rattling, but will make the door sound less "tinny"..

I put one sheet of dynamat on the inside skin of the door. It absorbs a lot of vibration when you close the door, and it doesn't sound as cheap. More of a solid "thunk" when it shuts, less ringing. If your release rods are loose, or the regulator is sloppy, it will still rattle, but if it's the sheet metal vibrating, the sound mat really helps. I used it with my cheap aftermarket doors. I think it worked pretty well...

Spraying cavity wax might work OK too... just pull all the moving parts before you do it.

Good Luck!
I've thought about that but there is already some factory sprayed on soundproofing on the doorskins that would have to be removed before anything else could be applied. Its just no fun doing anything in the doors with the very limited access.