The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
MikeB

compressed air filter and dryer recommendations

I'm getting ready to paint a glove box door, ash tray, and the inside of a tailgate. I have what I think is a moisture filter installed after the tank's regulator, but I haven't seen water in the bowl in many years.

That's the background info, here are my questions: If I start from scratch, what is the minimal filter/dryer setup I can use? Not looking for the cheapest, just most bang for the buck. And should the regulator be in-line before or after the filters?

I also plan to run the hose to a vertical section of pipe on the wall with the air hose connector (for the paint gun) at chest level and a drain a few feet below it. Any suggestions there?

Here's the current filter. What is it, and is it worth keeping?

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Foot Stomper

Re: compressed air filter and dryer recommendations

You've never had water in the filter because it's still vapour because it's hot air coming directly out of the compressor. Any filter is required to be some distance away from the source which will allow the air to cool enough to allow the water to condense.

I would reccomend looking at Devilbiss DAD500 for my first pick (barring price) https://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.co...n/dad-500.aspx This unit is a three stage system that removes dirt, oil and water.

or thier Finishline product https://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.co...trol-unit.aspx as a price concious solution as my second choice but this one only removes water.

I do not work for, or represent Devilbiss or the web page company that I found in my search for the filters.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
MikeB

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the first one is very pricey for my garage and infrequent painting. If using the FinishLine unit, would it make sense to run just my paint gun off of it, and connect air tools to a port "before it? Was thinking I could use a particulate filter between the air tool tap and compressor.

The filter I have is a Parker 06F21AB, but it is very old and I can't even find an element for it.

Hey, how about this one for my paint gun?
http://www.pneumaticplus.com/pneumat...ystem-1-4-npt/

Is it comparable to the FinishLine functionally?
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 11-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
If using the FinishLine unit, would it make sense to run just my paint gun off of it, and connect air tools to a port "before it?

Yes, I run a CamAIR QC3, that's what I do. the CamAIR is identical to the Finishline but has a larger desicant filter. The desiccant filter does a great job of removing moisture BUT does not last long. If you run air tools through this filter it will need replaced way too often. If you just run your paint gun through it, you can easily paint the entire vehicle on one filter. My filter goes bad from absorbing moisture over long periods of me not using it. I guess you could remove it & bag it, might last longer. I just buy a new filter when I paint a vehicle - cheap insurance.

The filter system you linked is not as good as the FinishLine. It will not remove moisture as well & I don't think it will flow as much air as the FinishLine filter.

Last edited by B. W.; 11-04-2018 at 04:45 PM.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
AZ 67 C10

I've ran a PneumaticPlus for a year now and have no complaints. It runs air tools heavily with some spraying mixed in. The filters are cleanable, and I do so when switching to painting just for peace of mind. The location of your filter/dryer/regulator in relation to your compressor is very important as mentioned, the further away the more time it has to cool and condense.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AZ 67 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
tinydb84

I don't have a dryer on mine. My compressor is in the back of the garage, I ran 15 feet of black pipe off the compressor to the front of the garage then have it zig zag up the wall a few feet. I put a valve at the bottom of the pipe and a small filter at the top.

I can run it non stop for hours and unless it is the hottest and most humid day of the year I wont have any moisture that makes it to the filter. I open the valve on the pipe and the compressor after each use to keep the moisture in the set up down.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
MikeB

Thanks for all the advice. Keep the ideas coming!
Old 11-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
RedBed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
I don't have a dryer on mine. My compressor is in the back of the garage, I ran 15 feet of black pipe off the compressor to the front of the garage then have it zig zag up the wall a few feet. I put a valve at the bottom of the pipe and a small filter at the top.

I can run it non stop for hours and unless it is the hottest and most humid day of the year I wont have any moisture that makes it to the filter. I open the valve on the pipe and the compressor after each use to keep the moisture in the set up down.
Love to see pics of this!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
Dead Parrot

Here is a cooler/dryer I made from some govt surplus Hummer AC add-on parts. The fan is a 24V fan that spins nicely on 12v from the large wall wart sitting on top. The power cord is tied into the pressure switch so it only runs when the compressor motor runs. Hose from the compressor to cooler is some transmission cooler hose from a parts store. Rated something like 250 psi @ 400*F. It captures a lot of water in the Kobalt filter water trap. So much so that even after a lot of use on a high humidity day, I only get a few drops of water out of the tank drain. The air going into the tank is almost room temp.

This evaporator coil setup is double stacked by design but this Mark 1 design is only using one coil. For those wondering about the weird foam block off at the bottom, the original setup had a second fan and more plastic there that I cut off.
Attached Images

Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
72c20customcamper

I made a post cooler for my setup. It's just a 10 gallon water cooler that I put a 1/2 inch copper coil in . Air goes in at the top and comes out where the spigot was followed by a water separator. Most times ambient air temp is all that's needed but when it hot and humid I fill it with cold water. You just need to have enough line to warm the air back up before the spray gun
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
72c20customcamper

I'll post a picture when I get home
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
tinydb84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBed View Post
Love to see pics of this!
I don't have any good pictures of it. Here is where the pipe runs back and forth with the valve to dump off water and the filters connecting to the air line.

Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #13
theastronaut

I've got 20 feet of copper line coiled inside a 5 gallon bucket mounted in an old dorm fridge with a water trap on the outlet. Works great even in South Carolina heat and humidity.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #14
MikeB

You guys are really clever.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #15
Sparky dave

I too don’t run a dryer but would if I can get my hands on one at the right price. I get by though and run a large diameter hose and hang it up high, then down then up again like a snake up and down then reduce to a narrower hose to a disposable filter on the gun. It’s worked for me so far
Sparky dave is offline   Reply With Quote