The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
dracko

Hood distorted?

Was checking my hood out today with a straight edge and noticed there’s a high spot on each side of the hood directly above where the hood hinges attach. It’s basically at front of the structural brace that goes across the rear of the hood.

Wondering if this should be nice and flat or if they all have a high spot there?

dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #2
damnyankee36

Re: Hood distorted?

I spent days blocking my hood and it looks very similar to yours. I would describe it more of an arc from front to back rather than just a high spot. And that arc was pretty much consistent across the entire hood.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Yep.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
dracko

Thanks for the reply Yankee, glad to hear it’s nothing out of the ordinary. I did find a chunk of black foam between the brace and the hood (only on the passenger side) that I removed and that made the high spot less severe. ��
Old 04-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
damnyankee36

That strip of foam is supposed to be there. Removing it might allow the hood to flatten a bit but it will also keep it from possible oil canning.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
The Rocknrod

And you'll be replacing that foam soon.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
dracko

Well there’s the foam strips between the removable braces that should be there, as it is, but this was a different density foam stuck between the hood and rear cross brace. Only on the PS of the hood. I should’ve taken a picture I guess. Is there supposed to be foam there too?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #8
damnyankee36

Ah, now that, I believe, is not factory. Quite sure.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
dracko

Okay right on, I couldn’t find any info on it so figured it was a “custom” mod by a previous owner.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

No it's factory. This is the LMC catalog, it's also shown in the factory assembly manual that you should get.
Here is a great thread look through the whole thing. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607123
Attached Images

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 04-09-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #11
dracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
No it's factory. This is the LMC catalog, it's also shown in the factory assembly manual that you should get.
Here is a great thread look through the whole thing. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607123
Interesting read, thanks for that. Just when I thought I’d “fixed” the high spot I need to order new foam and put it right back. I honestly don’t know what purpose it serves though. There is no oil can effect on either side without the foams.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
The Rocknrod

When your driving around your hood will squeak and it will drive you mad trying to find it from bumper to bumper until you find you need the foam no one told you about.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
dracko

That makes sense, definitely spared me the headache. Will be adding the foam kit to my next parts order. Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #14
damnyankee36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Ibedamned! It's been so long since I placed my LMC order for the strips, I can't remember if I got those pieces. I'm still not at that stage to install the rubber.

Thanks for the correction!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #15
Pinchecharlie

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of working on several gigantic hoods and I must say these truck hoods are pretty bad even straight. I would think you would have to completely disassemble and shrink the shi@out of it to get rid of the wonk. I don't think they cared much about the hood when they produced these. Not a jab just an observation and bonus that they can pass the body work test easier. Check out the build "sanford" you could tell he slapped that hood with a spoon for awhile. Yours looks beautiful to me!
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #16
dracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
I've had the unfortunate pleasure of working on several gigantic hoods and I must say these truck hoods are pretty bad even straight. I would think you would have to completely disassemble and shrink the shi@out of it to get rid of the wonk. I don't think they cared much about the hood when they produced these. Not a jab just an observation and bonus that they can pass the body work test easier. Check out the build "sanford" you could tell he slapped that hood with a spoon for awhile. Yours looks beautiful to me!
Haha yeah I agree some are pretty rough. This truck actually came from Bozeman and although I’ve replaced most of the Sheetmetal, the hood is salvageable. I had a “autobody guy” come by and some pulling/shrinking and those spots are just gonna need a thin skim of filler.

I was recommended to use a dynamat material between the brace and hood instead of that cheap grey foam strips the vendors sell. Anybody tried this around here? I’m not sure how much shock absorption it’d do?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #17
nsb29

My hood is absolutely perfect when it’s up when you close it well now that’s another story The inner Hood brace flexes and pushes up on the inside of the hood from the tension of the springs
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
damnyankee36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
I was recommended to use a dynamat material between the brace and hood instead of that cheap grey foam strips the vendors sell. Anybody tried this around here? I’m not sure how much shock absorption it’d do?
Hmmm, I wonder if the Dynamat will keep compressing thereby eventually not supporting the hood? I don't know if the typical foam rubber strips would be any better. I think any kind of soft rubber, (not a foam type), would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
My hood is absolutely perfect when it’s up when you close it well now that’s another story The inner Hood brace flexes and pushes up on the inside of the hood from the tension of the springs
I hope that's not the case with my hood. I did all the body work and blocking on saw horses. No hinge springs were pushing up on it. It had a little bit of a curve/bulge even then.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #19
dracko

Quote:
I’ve still got mine mounted on the truck, mainly due to the fact that I can’t take it off solo, but I had to do a thin smear beside the braces because they are definitely pressing up on the hood a tad. Gonna order up some new foam strips before I do any final blocking..

Damnyankee, ya I agree the material seems too dense for this purpose and prob wouldn’t be much for absorbing vibrations.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #20
nsb29

My plan is to use 30 pound felt paper not ticket enough to cause any more distortion but it won’t squeak
Old 11-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #21
dracko

Quote:
My plan is to use 30 pound felt paper not ticket enough to cause any more distortion but it won’t squeak
That’s a solid idea for sure. That’d work great for the rear and front corner pads but not really sure about the long center braces. Let me know how it works. I just ordered the foams for $40 so I’m invested now, haha.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #22
nsb29

I use the foam pads for the center support and the front But there was no room in the back where I planned to use the 30 pound felt the other pieces were installed before I block the hood out if I hadn’t known that the back support flex that much I wouldn’t have clearance it but it’s painted now lol
Old 11-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #23
dracko

Quote:
I use the foam pads for the center support and the front But there was no room in the back where I planned to use the 30 pound felt the other pieces were installed before I block the hood out if I hadn’t known that the back support flex that much I wouldn’t have clearance it but it’s painted now lol
Yeah I’ll definitely be using some roofing paper back in the corners, the thinner the material in there the better to minimize the brace hump. I might even just use some butcher paper.