The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
whitedog76

MII brakes

Are there any alternatives on the MII brakes. I know the Granada hubs/rotors seem to be the gold standard.

When thumbing through other forums, I see the Mustang crowd like to run 80's Lincoln and Ranger rotors/hubs.

I've seen the 01-05 Sport Trac uses 12" rotors and hubs, which peaks my interest.

The F100/F150 from 73-96 use a 11.75" rotor.

I know wheel bearings will need to be installed for the proper spindle diameter, which seems simple since Ford pretty kept the same dimensions for years.

Also, I've seen https://www.mustangsteve.com/ has kits for late model 12.4 and 13" to be used on MII spindles. The only issue is sourcing early drum brake hubs.

So, are any of these viable options?

I know I will have to fabricate a caliper bracket since I'm using Pro-Touring spindles.

I also know that Baer, Wilwood and others have big brake kits. But, with $1000 and up price tags, I can't see the sense in that.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: MII brakes

Speedway has a kit for 11" GM rotors for M II spindles 5x4.5. Has calipers and new bolt on caliper bracket. $270. Have used this kit and it works OK. they also have a "garage sale" on an 11 Wilwood kit for $600. Has fancy rotors and might be a good deal.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
mr48chev

Back years ago guys either ran 4 lug wheels or swapped rotors to small 5 lug or redrilled the stock rotors but you are still stuck with the 9 inch brakes.

Today it is either buy the kit like Speedbumpauto mentioned or assemble the pieces. Pieces include a pair of 11 inch rotors with bolt pattern of choice = 5 on 4-3/4 or 5 on 4-1/2 plus buy a pair of caliper brackets for about 40 bucks and a pair of calipers to fit. It probably won't cost much less than the kit but for some being able to buy a piece a payday and pay as you go without forking over 250 at one shot might be the way to go.

You can buy a pair of forged caliper brackets for 40.00 https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-FORGED-ST...xaO3rO&vxp=mtr Other vendors might have a better price but get the forged and not welded ones
Speedway has 11 inch rotors for 33 each https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-II-...lZ1apW&vxp=mtr

A pair of calipers run about 80 and wheel bearings and it goes together

Or spin the wheel and pick a number for the disk brake kit. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...t+&_sacat=6000

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #4
whitedog76

I’m actually trying to do something different than your basic MII install. I would like to put big brakes on my truck, I’m not sure it’s necessary though.

On the other hand, the Lincoln rotors, (from what I’ve read), will widen your track width, which is fine by me.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
jweb

My advice is to do it once, only because I have changed my brake setup 3 times.

I used something similar to the Speedway 11" kit for a few years. I didn't like how it stopped. Then I upgraded to the AFCO large bore calipers, I could really tell a difference with these and it was probably good enough.

I just bought the Wilwood kit Part# 140-10440-BD from Matt's Classic Bowties (they're a vendor on here and beat any price I could find). I only did this since my LS swap has way more power than my old 350. I haven't driven it since the upgrade.

You will want to think about what master cylinder/ booster you plan to use also. They can make a big difference.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
Rickysnickers

Look here, http://www.classicperform.com/MustangII.htm Scroll down to Mustang II
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
whitedog76

I don't have a conventional spindle. So, I'm stuck with a Wilwood kit or Helix has a bracket for Granada rotors. Now, Wilwood has a kit with Granada rotors and Dynalite calipers, which I'm not opposed to. Price is 500-600. The Helix bracket is 60 bucks, and I go down to Autozone for rotors and GM Calipers.

I'm actually looking for something different. I can cut & drill a bracket on the radial drill and bandsaw, so not an issue there. I have some Tahoe/Silverado calipers that I was thinking of doing something with, which is where the Sport Trac/Ranger rotor idea came in play.

I have a hydroboost setup from a GM van. Currently it has a 1 3/8" master, I have an 1 1/4" for it also. So, getting enough brake pressure is no issue.

I'm building a driver/street truck, so I don't think I need anything fancy or expensive. I always like using off the shelf parts for simplicity and servicibility.

Just looking for ideas.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
jweb

If you are on a budget and want to be able to buy your brake pads and rotors locally.
Buy these style brackets:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all42110

Something like these large bore calipers:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...9002/overview/

The Granada rotors you can buy locally will be 5x4.5" Ford pattern. Not a problem if you don't have wheels yet. I had this setup for a few years and it worked well. The larger bore calipers really made a difference.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
whitedog76

So, I dug through my parts pile. I had a 12.8 GM rotor and a Tahoe style caliper. I dropped it into one of my 15" trailer rims.

Boy, it almost would work. There was no room left on the rim. There seemed to be plenty of space behind the caliper before it got into anything. From what I learned from this experiment. A much larger rotor and dual piston caliper may just work.
Attached Images