The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Seeking education on Caliper Washers

Thought occurred to me before installing the front brake hoses today the replacement washers aren’t the same as the old ones. The washers pulled off the truck are ridged like the hose fitting and caliper surfaces. The replacements washers that came with common replacement hoses maybe twice as thick and have a smooth surface.

So did some research, some folks see leaks at the caliper. One or so say “use the ridged washers” or however described. I ended up at NAPA & ordered the same washers as the old ones. Not sure if they’re “pre-ridged”, the guy at the counter didn’t mention it where he generally would.

So on the way out I see a mechanic I’ve known 30 years and mentioned it. He says all the new washers squish and he’s never had a leak. Great guy, fair mechanic IMO though surely well-versed, back in the day I paid him to replace my 71 ignition cylinder I showed him how to do, don’t ask Anyway, I’d think odds are he’s right.

But that got me to thinking, perhaps all caliper washers had a smooth surface to begin with, form to seal? In other terms, if you pull your hose off you should always replace the washers with new and all “squish” to seal? Makes me wonder about torque, I’d think half a grunt and you’re done.

Which is right?
A. Use former thinner type washer, that forms to seal.
B. Use former thinner type washer that comes pre-ridges
C. Use thicker replacement washer that forms to seal.
D. Can't believe U started a thread on this.
E. Other
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-05-2020 at 05:11 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Seeking education on Caliper Washers

It doesn't matter about the washers having or not having ridges.. Look at the banjo bolt.. Notice the shoulder under the head.. The area around the cross drilled hole is slightly smaller, creating that shoulder... The ID of the washer should be such that it fits snuggly on that shoulder -- not quite a press fit, but not a loose wobbly fit either.. That shoulder on the banjo bolt centers the washer so as to attain a good tight fit.. As for washer thickness -- it probably doesn't matter as long as the banjo bolt doesn't bottom out.....
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
It doesn't matter about the washers having or not having ridges.. Look at the banjo bolt.. Notice the shoulder under the head.. The area around the cross drilled hole is slightly smaller, creating that shoulder... The ID of the washer should be such that it fits snuggly on that shoulder -- not quite a press fit, but not a loose wobbly fit either.. That shoulder on the banjo bolt centers the washer so as to attain a good tight fit.. As for washer thickness -- it probably doesn't matter as long as the banjo bolt doesn't bottom out.....
Thank you, makes sense. I wouldn't call that washer a snug fit on the former or new parts, but there's very little play, 32"ish.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 10-05-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that the ridges on the mating parts are supposed to deform the soft (annealed) copper for a better seal.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #5
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember that the ridges on the mating parts are supposed to deform the soft (annealed) copper for a better seal.
That's exactly Right.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
That's exactly Right.

I see, thank you
Old 10-05-2020, 10:52 PM   #7
Getter-Done

IMO yes.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:59 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

I have always annealed copper washers before reusing them. Once they tightened down the washers will have a certain amount of work hardening. By annealing you remove the work hardening and soften the washer to its original state so it will conform to both surfaces as designed.
Personally I have never seen a new copper washer with ridges.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I have always annealed copper washers before reusing them. Once they tightened down the washers will have a certain amount of work hardening. By annealing you remove the work hardening and soften the washer to its original state so it will conform to both surfaces as designed.
Personally I have never seen a new copper washer with ridges.
That's cuz they probably don't come ridged. I picked up new ones today, the thinner variety. Per 30 year NAPA dude they're smooth copper.

Never heard of annealing. First Youtube that came up was for exactly this. "a lovely oxide when you throw it in water" then he puts it in tea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STpBxKct2GQ