The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
curvedglass

Frustrating turn signal

Recently my right front turn signal on my 63 went out. I noticed the indicator light wasn't blinking on the dash so I did a visual and saw that one was out. I replaced to bulb and still nothing. Now the parking light is out as well. Also to confuse matters, the indicator doesn't turn on for the left signal either - but they work. Front and rear. Right rear is also working. I traced the wire to the harness and no visible cracks or splits. I can hear the relay clicking. Could it be a ground for that one light? Electric is my Achilles heel.

Any thoughts, similar issues??? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frustrating turn signal

The 63 dash cluster only has one indicator for both turn signals. Took me awhile to figure that out as well. Go under the hood and pull the bulbs from the turn signals. Take some pliers and push the metal part down farther in to the socket. My driver's turn signal has a bad habit of coming loose when the hood is opened and closed a bunch

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
curvedglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
The 63 dash cluster only has one indicator for both turn signals. Took me awhile to figure that out as well. Go under the hood and pull the bulbs from the turn signals. Take some pliers and push the metal part down farther in to the socket. My driver's turn signal has a bad habit of coming loose when the hood is opened and closed a bunch
Posted via Mobile Device
curvedglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
curvedglass

Too funny. When I first bought the truck i thought thete was a bulb out. Took it apart and felt like - DOH!
Will try your suggestion. Thanx
Posted via Mobile Device
curvedglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
cwcarpenter98

No problem man. IIRC, I went several months thinking something was messed up just because of that dash light

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 09-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
curvedglass

While trying to fark around with the socket - it separated from the bake-o-lite. Ordered one up from LMC. Put that in and no difference. Well I should say the parking light is now on (and waaay brighter than the old one on the other side) but still no signal. I replaced the flasher and still nothing. I cleaned up the surfaces to promote a better ground. Nothing. Chased the wires to the bulkhead. nothing. Fuse in the box is fine.

Any other anomalies I am missing?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
BabyBlue64

1st thing you can try is disconnect the bulkhead connector from the wiring that goes into your hood. It has 3 connections. 1 for parking lights 1 for left and 1 for right turn signal. If you take a wire and connect that to the + of your battery you can hold it to the each connector to see if the lights go on. If that is the case, you know that everything in the hood is good. It will also indicate you have good ground. Than your problem is under the dash.
BabyBlue64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #8
cwcarpenter98

Try unbolting the fuse block, turning it over to the back side, then wiggle around the prongs on the back for the turn signal fuse. My brake and taillights would not work because the contact points inside the fuse block had gotten too rusty. I replaced it with a replacement, factory harness, and it has worked great ever since

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 09-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #9
curvedglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue64 View Post
1st thing you can try is disconnect the bulkhead connector from the wiring that goes into your hood. It has 3 connections. 1 for parking lights 1 for left and 1 for right turn signal. If you take a wire and connect that to the + of your battery you can hold it to the each connector to see if the lights go on. If that is the case, you know that everything in the hood is good. It will also indicate you have good ground. Than your problem is under the dash.
yep - All the under hood wiring checked out. Thanks for the battery wire tip. Went under the dash and pushed all the wires back into the bulkhead. That wire was the worst. Appears from grabbing at the vent handle I must have caught the wires a few times. Wrapped them up tight now.

Everything is working. Now I can drive the truck again.

Drivers today don't understand hand signals anymore. They just think you are flippin' off or something.