The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
clean cut creations

longbed bedsides as burb 1/4s?

I was looking for input for using the newly available longbed bedsides as replacement 1/4 sheetmetal on my 67 burb. I know it would be some work to get this right but I may not have anyother option on my rusy project. Anyone done this or know of someone who has?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
robb67

Re: longbed bedsides as burb 1/4s?

If you mean the rear wheel arch area, I did just that. Or more accurately my friend did it for me. I had a lot of rust to deal with and he thought it would save us a lot of time/work. It worked our pretty well. The arch is so long that it covers the gas tank filler area but I'm going to leave it covered and do the marker light filler mod that I've read about on here. Mine is a panel truck but I have been using burb sheet metal for everything, so this may be applicable for you. There is a picture lower in this section under topic '68 Chevy panel if you wanna check it out. I tried posting the picture here but I must need a coffee or something 'cause I'm having no luck.
Rob.
robb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
k5kev

I did it with a shortbed bedside,..or actually my body man did it. you can see the picks on my project build link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313438

The problem you will have with the long bed is the front corner of the wheel arch is not the same as a burb, however the shortbed arch is the same as a burb. Also gas cap area is an issue unless you ditch it. Then finally the lower rear 1/4 behind the wheel is unique to the Suburban, the long bed portion won't work,..... but you can buy that patch panel separate.

It seems to me the shortbed bedside is actually the way to go, unless maybe all your problem area is in front of the wheel well. Then the longbed would cover a larger area and may eliminate some other pieces (like I did).

Good Luck.
k5kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
kev2809
low n' slo

i just emailed the classic heartbeat guy about this. they have the suburban rear quarters for $109, but same area lwb for 25 bucks. if they fit close im gonna get the lwb, i dont need the bumper ends anyways. so the wheel area openings are different?
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote