The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
tristan

Anyone Here Buy This CA 1956 GMC?

This one is a treasure, complete and fully loaded with just about every option available and in crusty but revivable relic condition. I thought long and hard about it but it had no title and the seller wouldn't get one so that was the deal-breaker for me. It showed up on the San Fran Craigslist and then on EBay a few days later where it disappeared after one day. The seller was responsive which is a CL rarity but intransigent on the title issue. Looks like he got what he wanted anyway. I've never seen what looks to be like some kind of proto-tachometer on an AD before.
Attached Images

tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
tmoble

Re: Anyone Here Buy This CA 1956 GMC?

That's a vacuum gauge but I've never seen one like before either.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
tmoble

Wow, that's the exact step bumper and hitch setup my 57 had on it when I got it. Wrecks the fenders when somebody hits the bumper.

Considering what state you're in I think you were right to pass on it for the title deal. State government there is completely out of control, you might have ended up with them confiscating and crushing it or something. Whoever bought it will probably end up doing one of those shady multi-state title transfer deals. Too bad, but the owner might have been telling you something by refusing to co-operate on the title deal. Like maybe it was hot or had a lien on it or something.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #4
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
Wrecks the fenders when somebody hits the bumper.
yeah, but i'd hate to see the other guy's vehicle

nice truck, but without a title might be more of a parts truck

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
OrrieG

Tmoble, I think that vacuum gauge was a GMC only option. Hope the buyer got the sellers information like DL in case things go south.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:26 AM   #6
tmoble

_Ogre,

That's funny you should say that. in the early 90's I was sitting at a red light at a freeway intersection in downtown Phx. I felt a pretty noticeable bump, realized I was rear-ended. Got out, walked around the back and here's brand new black Lexus (paper plate in window) sitting there with front end destroyed. anti-freeze running across the street, freon spraying, bumper cover laying there, off on one side. This guy in a nice business suit gets out, he looks somewhere between horrified and devastated. The more he looks at the remains the worse he looks. Turns out the car is 3 days old. Even better, turns out the guy is a lawyer. It was great. If only I had known then what I know now about lawyers.

Pointed out the small smudge of black paint on the hitch area of my bumper, told him to forget about it and drove off. Left him standing the in the 5:00 Phx summer heat. Still today one of my fondest memories.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
1project2many

Quote:
Pointed out the small smudge of black paint on the hitch area of my bumper, told him to forget about it and drove off. Left him standing the in the 5:00 Phx summer heat. Still today one of my fondest memories.
Great story!

As mentioned, that gauge is a vacuum gauge and was not available in Chevrolet. Some other neat GMC only options include two tone interior and power steering integrated in the steering box. It looks like it has power brakes... is that a Hydravac in the picture of the engine compartment? I don't remember seeing any large supports in the engine compartment before. I wonder what those are??
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
tristan

Yup, it has power brakes, V-8 Hydra-Matic, side spare, BBW, GMC AM radio, deluxe heater, the works. Bummer about the title.
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
mr48chev

That's honestly in a lot better shape than one I had here in the yard for a long time that even had the same rear bumper on it. That one was cancered out so bad it was only a parts rig with a big back window.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
olBlue

The supports on either side of the engine were called "kudu" bars after African antelope horns. The were added to stop body and steering wheel shake according to the 1956 GMC sales brochure.
olBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
Coupeguy2001

Just a side note on the rear ender...
I was sitting in the left turn lane on a busy street, and this guy in a new caddy wasn't paying attention, and was drifting into the left turn lane when I guess he woke up to the fact that he was drifting into the left turn lane. I guess traffic wouldn't let him move back fast enough, and he caught the right rear corner of my step bumper. it peeled back the metal the whole length of his car and broke his rear bumper.
Since the light had turned red, I backed up, moved over, and got behind him and parked after the light changed.
He threatened to call the police if I didn't give him my license number and insurance information.
I went back and looked at my rear bumper, and as far as I could tell, the Krylon was scratched on the corner, and the bumper was still in alignment. I told him I needed his information for a new can of spray paint.
He got in his car without another word, and drove off.
I had quite a chuckle over that.
Nowadays, it would do some serious damage since I just have a roll pan and no bumper anymore.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote