The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
67Monster

50/50 black-clearcoat

Can anyone give me a picture of what this would look like over a cardinal red color? I'm having a hard time imagining it. I do like the 50/50 black-clearcoat over chrome, but what does it do for colors?
Posted via Mobile Device
67Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: 50/50 black-clearcoat

If you want to see it spray it out! A photo on the computer screen isn't going to mean much anyway.

But really, if you want to learn something, spray it out. It's so much fun, I love spraying things out to see something new, or abuse it to see how far you can go, that sort of thing. There is just nothing that teaches us more about something than to do it and abuse it and do it right and see what the difference is and learn how not to make mistakes when it comes to painting your project.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
67Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
If you want to see it spray it out! A photo on the computer screen isn't going to mean much anyway.
Thanks for the reply, Brian. The situation that I'm curious about is that I'm about to purchase a truck that the clearcoat is peeling off. It's cardinal red and since I'm not a huge fan of bright red or orange, instead of a full color re spray $$$... wanted an idea of what the 50/50 would look like over the red factory paint. If it's just an internet photo, that'd be good enough to make me lean one way or the other. I do plan on having all my chrome pieces on the 68 done like the dark chrome finish.
Posted via Mobile Device
67Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Monster View Post
The situation that I'm curious about is that I'm about to purchase a truck that the clearcoat is peeling off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Clear coat of any kind, regardless of brand or quality, is not glue. If the truck's clearcoat is peeling, adding more clear on top will only result in thicker layers of clear peeling.

It's very difficult to strip the clear down to the base coat and re clear the entire truck, but if you're going to try that, you might just as well sand it down properly and repaint it the color you want.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Flying Hamster

Even if you can remove the bad clearcoat and leave the base color undamaged, you are not out of the woods yet.
The 50/50 will have to be sprayed like a candy - meaning it will have to go down uniformly to avoid striping, mismatching, and spotting.
Then you will have to clear the 50/50 to protect it.
If you ever damage it, it will be hell to match.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
notsolo

I had bought a Qt of Lime candy to put over the lime metallic on my Blazer, I chickened out for the reason Flying Hamster said. A Really talented guy could do it correctly, but it could get messed up pretty easily.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote