The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
6768chevylover

VORTEC HEADS(another one I know)

Wanting to go vortec. Found a guy selling them for 150.00 near me. They can go on a gen. 1 small block right? (062 heads)
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
truckster

Re: VORTEC HEADS(another one I know)

Yes, they can. You'll need to change the intake manifold. You might want to see if you can have them checked by a machine shop before you buy them - cracks near the exhaust seats are very common.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
6768chevylover

if they are cracked, they are pretty much done right?
Old 10-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6768chevylover View Post
if they are cracked, they are pretty much done right?
Yep. I've heard of some shops welding them up, but I don't think that's the best idea.

I had a cracked set and my machinist sold me a set of aftermarket Vortec castings that are heavier than the originals. He said he's never seen them crack. If you want I can ask him for a brand name.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
6768chevylover

Sure why not. Bigger is always better.. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
6768chevylover

Let me ask another question. What is more desirable, an 062 or a 906 head? and what is the difference between the two? I have another guy selling a set of 906 heads and claims they are mag and flux for cracks and in good shape.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
garyd1961

The 062 heads have hardened valve seats but the 906 heads have hardened valve seats "inserts" and are suppose to be less prone to cracking. The 906 heads are for the 3/4 ton trucks but will work for a 1/2 ton also. The 906 also came with sodium filled valves that had a larger valve stem.
Either one should work fine.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
6768chevylover

The 062 heads are closer to me but the guy selling them claims he did a close inspection on the heads with a magnifine glass and they fine to go. Are the cracks normally hard to find or is it possible to find them this way? I've never seen a cracked head before..
Old 11-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I would definately not trust a "I looked at it with a magnifying glass" over a real magnaflux check for cracks. These lightweight castings are all nearly 2 decades old and subject to who knows ....
The aftermarket offers a solid vortec casting, BUT if your spending on a aftermarket head, WHY would you do a Vortec when there is SO MUCH MORE available without having to make the change to a vortec intake, and self aligning rockers, centerbolt rocker covers, new wires and wire looms.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
6768chevylover

I just wanted to do a simple top end build to get some more power out of my some what daily driver with out breaking the bank. I'm tired of paying for todays prices for new things when I know I can get used things for cheaper that are half way descent but also want it to last a little bit. New and Used things break eventually and I'd rather it be something used then new. Then again the wife could use a break from me spending the money on new toys.. lol..
Old 11-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
truckster

So I checked with my machine shop guy. He said the castings he used are from China and they're much more solid than the stock castings. He said they buy them from a catalog that machine shops use.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
garyd1961

Most of the used vortec heads are cracked. They probably have been running for a 100,000 miles or more with the cracks though. Still I wouldn't put any head on my motor that I know is cracked.
You can buy new factory vortec heads. You will need a vortec intake but Summit has them for around $150. Vortec heads make a lot of power.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:17 PM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The magnafluxed 906 castings are the way I would go as long as the seller has some sort of proof that they were magnafluxed or will give you a written guarantee that they are not cracked.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #14
Nuckingfuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I would definately not trust a "I looked at it with a magnifying glass" over a real magnaflux check for cracks. These lightweight castings are all nearly 2 decades old and subject to who knows ....
The aftermarket offers a solid vortec casting, BUT if your spending on a aftermarket head, WHY would you do a Vortec when there is SO MUCH MORE available without having to make the change to a vortec intake, and self aligning rockers, centerbolt rocker covers, new wires and wire looms.
Marv (or anyone else), can you please elaborate on other options available that don't require vortec intake, self aligning rockers, centerbolt rocker covers, etc??

I'm still learning on the fly as well and am currently exploring options for my son's sbc 350.
Nuckingfuts is offline   Reply With Quote