The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Has anyone seen a 'cold air intake' style setup ran to the windshield wiper cowl?

I've seen the round air filter housing with a intake duct routed to the front of the engine bay. Has anyone seen an intake duct routed to the windshield wiper cowl? You would have to put a piece of sheet metal under the cowl where the intake duct is routed so that it shields the rain.

Just curious if anyone has ever done it. Not saying I'm going to because I don't see it gaining that much. Just curious...
Old 09-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
wilkin250r

Re: Has anyone seen a 'cold air intake' style setup ran to the windshield wiper cowl?

Called Cowl Induction, very common in muscle cars, and I believe NASCAR still uses it to this day. At speed, there is a high-pressure zone created at the base of the windshield, so it's theoretically possible to "supercharge" the engine.

In reality, I'd be very surprised if it created more than 2% over atmospheric pressure, and that would only be at high speed, so the supercharging effect is really almost insignificant. BUT, if the ducts are placed right and the airflow path is good, it does guarantee the incoming air is colder than the air under the hood.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
TrailerTrash

Re: Has anyone seen a 'cold air intake' style setup ran to the windshield wiper cowl?

I havent seen it on a squarebody before but cherokee guys do it and they actually make nice kits to do it

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:21 AM   #4
andrewmp6

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1301p...ld-air-system/ and close to what most race cars run http://www.fivestarbodies.com/store/...roduct&id=1018
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
D13

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741529

Please resist the urge to suck fumes into your cab.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=741529

Please resist the urge to suck fumes into your cab.
That's a very good point for those that have an AC or heater. My truck has both the AC and heater Core removed and blocked. Very food point in regards to safety.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
That's a very good point for those that have an AC or heater. My truck has both the AC and heater Core removed and blocked. Very good point in regards to safety.
I read that other thread and don't really see the concern IF, and it's an important if, there is an airbox that is sealed to the firewall. Were someone to cut a hole in the firewall to let cool air in near the carb then there is a high likelihood of contaminating the air that the heater/AC draws from. If the hole is sealed to the airbox/carb, then I could see that some gas fumes could conceivably meander through the air filter, into the cowl trough, and into the cabin. But unless you're running the heater with the engine off, there's not a way to draw contaminated air in. And when both the heater/AC and the engine are running, both are a source of vacuum and have an sizable amount of outside air to draw from based on the size of the plenum.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
kacy

The post was removed, OP sent me the info though, my info was wrong from his CAI these were the results.

shows outside temps in the bowl vs up to 100* hotter at 55mph
+0.3 psi in the bowl at 100mph vs -0.1 psi

Last edited by kacy; 10-04-2017 at 02:19 PM.
kacy is offline   Reply With Quote