The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #26
joedoh

Re: Do you like whitewalls

the first AD I built was a 47 GMC with red steels and blackwalls. I advertised it for sale and the response was fairly lackluster. I ordered some WV smoothies and coker wide whites and the day after I put them on I had about 20 calls. I prefer blackwalls, it would seem that most others prefer whitewalls.

I dont keep the trucks very long after finishing so I dont know about cleaning them, I know that my dirt road gets the wheels and tires pretty dirty pretty quickly but washing at the jet wash was enough to take care of it.

I think the reason why the whitewalls get dirtier faster is two fold, first the whitewall depth on the tire is much thinner than it used to be, barely deep enough to take a good scratch any more. and the second reason is that tires are only about 1/3 real rubber these days, the other 2/3 is synthetic (mostly petroleum based) rubber. these leech their synthetic compounds over time with exposure to the sun, which I think stains the whitewall from the back side and within the white part of the tire itself.

i know that wesleys blech-wite changed their formula in the 90s too, to save money, that was the product that REALLY made whitewalls pop.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote