The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Tonyhub

ashtray removal

just bought a new ashtray, how do you remove the main part that the ashtray slides in? the guides broke off and I now have a new one. It looks like it bolts back in, but not a bolt anywhere to remove it?
Thanks 1972 chevrolet short bed c-10
Tonyhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
GruntMoanCough

Re: ashtray removal

Welcome!
When you take the slide part out, you should see two phillips head screws on the top and two more outside of the slide area at the bottom. You should be able to remove them from underneath.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
ryans69chevy

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you might have to take off the heater control assembly to get at the bottom of the ashtray...I think that's what I had to do. It insn't too tough and then you can get all the dust off! lol
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Tonyhub

that is what I thought because all 4 holes are there, it looks like it is welded? could that be? Thanks
Tonyhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
ryans69chevy

It should come out from the bottom...I'd just keep looking, get in different positions. Maybe a pic would help if you can't get it. The P.O. could have modified, although idk why anyone would need to.
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
poldenbuttel

Did you ever figure out the removal? I'm in the same boat, my ashtray is welded in also.
poldenbuttel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
cedorris
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super

I'd be interested in removal help as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
cwilkie
Chance

I'm on the same boat with my 1972 ashtray assembly as well. I have an assembly I un-bolted from a 1971 parts truck. My 1972 ashtray assembly appears to be welded in too.

Anyone know how I can remove the assembly because it needs to be replaced.

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton 4x4
BB 496 w/TH400
cwilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
67chevy1series

In my opinion I believe the 1972 ash tray is a better ashtray to use then the 68-71 it comes out a lot farther and is quieter and has more room to get stuff out of the ashtray (I'm not a smoker so I put things in the ashtray that I actually want to grab and get out) and as for taking the ashtray insert out (assuming you already have the tray out) you will need a set if Phillips head screw driver and if you don't want to scratch your heater controls or your dash then I suggest getting masking tape and taping the front and knobs of your heater controls as well as the underneath portion of the dash below the heater controls be sure to remove both Philips head screws before taping the bottom of the dash. Once you've removed the screws (and/or taped your dash) then push the controls as far back towards the firewall as you can and then tilt the heater controls down to make sure the knobs and levers clear the dash then let the controls hang then you can do any cleaning you want under that portion of the dash if not then you can look for the 2 Philips screws pointing toward a the floor for the ash tray dash insert once those are removed you can look at the hole where the ash tray slides into the dash above the tray you will find 2 more Phipps head screws remove those and you can then slide back the ash tray dash insert and pull it out from underneath the dash. And if you do all of these steps in reverse order you can reinstall your new dash insert and your heater controls back in.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote