The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
jwatson355

steering Column

It will come in tomorrow and I will start the install MAYBE tomorrow night. Any words of wisdom from someone that has done this before??? The truck has a column that is obviously from a newer car. It has wiper controls on the blinker control, but it's also about 4-6" too long. The wheel almost hits my damn coffee cup in my lap. So I ordered a replacement for the truck and the install kit from ididit.
jwatson355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Hawghauler

Re: steering Column

Columns are pretty easy. A lot of us have moved the column as close to the dash as possible. You may have to shorten your intermediate shaft a little, but it's pretty straight forward. Your neutral safety switch is usually the most difficult part. It either goes outside the firewall, or just inside. I used a van tilt, and the nss is perfectly lined up inside the dash. You may also need and adapter for your wiring if your are going from curved to straight. They're cheep if you find yourself needing it. I'm sure the new column is setup for your truck if you ordered it. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two to complete a change.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
jwatson355

Re: steering Column

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawghauler View Post
Columns are pretty easy. A lot of us have moved the column as close to the dash as possible. You may have to shorten your intermediate shaft a little, but it's pretty straight forward. Your neutral safety switch is usually the most difficult part. It either goes outside the firewall, or just inside. I used a van tilt, and the nss is perfectly lined up inside the dash. You may also need and adapter for your wiring if your are going from curved to straight. They're cheep if you find yourself needing it. I'm sure the new column is setup for your truck if you ordered it. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two to complete a change.
Thank you!! We shall see.
jwatson355 is offline   Reply With Quote