The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
58GMCSB

New to the site, new project

Hello. I just picked up a 58 (i believe) GMC stepside. The last time this thing saw the road was probably about 5 years ago (as I'm told). This thing has sat in a field for at least the last 4 years. It needs a lot of work and isn't going anywhere anytime soon

The title on this thing is somewhat sketchy. I don't think its stolen, but i think the vehicle has probably went through a couple owners that never titled it (the two i know of are older farmer gents that aren't in great health and have a slew of older vehicles sitting around) and just moved it from one field to another to sit.
Im in FL, the last place this thing was titled was in GA. The guy i got it from tried to give me a 57 title. It does have the ID tag, and by what research I did on it, it appears to be the correct tag but obviously not the right title. He does have a bill of sale from the guy he got it from. But its your standard hand written piece of paper that wouldn't even begin to stand up in a court or an inspection station. The georgia DMV says all i need to do is fill out a form send it, a copy of this bos and $5 and they'll basically send a letter that will enable me to get it titled in FL, but i want to find the VIN.

I can't find the VIN on this thing. nothing on the cowl, supposedly its stamped in the top of the frame about 4" in front of the steering box, not seeing anything there either. I don't plan on this thing being on the road any time soon, but I definitely want to get it squared away before that time comes. There isn't even any place i can see that a vin would have been.

This thing looks pretty much stock. Im guessing even things like the shocks are either stock or at the very least probably 30-40 years old.

Where should I look for the VIN?
Attached Images

58GMCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
pugs

Re: New to the site, new project

well your cab is a gmc. its not really a vin but a serial number. Is there a tag on the driver side door jam between the hinges.. if the numbers match your good. now its possible its a 57 and maybe in the past the front clip was changed out for some reason or it is a 58 but was sold in 57 so there for titled as a 57. let us know what the numbers are and I or someone will chime in and let ya know what it is
Old 01-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
chopit

Pretty straight ol truck ya got there.

Yep, as pugs said....door hinge pillar if its still there
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #4
58GMCSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
well your cab is a gmc. its not really a vin but a serial number. Is there a tag on the driver side door jam between the hinges.. if the numbers match your good. now its possible its a 57 and maybe in the past the front clip was changed out for some reason or it is a 58 but was sold in 57 so there for titled as a 57. let us know what the numbers are and I or someone will chime in and let ya know what it is

I do have the tag in the door. For whatever reason it had been popped off, but i have it now
the serial number is 101 P S20700A
Old 01-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #5
58GMCSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopit View Post
Pretty straight ol truck ya got there.

Yep, as pugs said....door hinge pillar if its still there
yeah its surprisingly in decent shape. Frame is solid, cab appears to be pretty decent, doghouse is ok, but getting little pinholes here and there. There is a bit of cancer around the drip rails, bottom of the doors and inside the doors. Im pretty sure if nothing else, new doors are going to be required.

The engine appears to be pretty much bone stock
Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
chopit

Here ya go to check your serial #

http://www.1955gmc.com/1955-59gmcguide.html

Last edited by chopit; 01-07-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
58GMCSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopit View Post
Here ya go to check your serial #

http://www.1955gmc.com/1955-59gmcguide.html
Yep, used that. from what i can tell model 101, 6 cylinder, s series, made in pontiac mi, produciton #20700

I believe the A means it has a Spicer rear end

Its a 6 bolt lug al lthe way around. My question is, will the pillar ID number on that tag be whats used to register/plate it
Old 01-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #8
chopit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58GMCSB View Post
Yep, used that. from what i can tell model 101, 6 cylinder, s series, made in pontiac mi, produciton #20700

I believe the A means it has a Spicer rear end

Its a 6 bolt lug al lthe way around. My question is, will the pillar ID number on that tag be whats used to register/plate it
Yes that is the ser # to register it (your dmv will refer to it as the vin. they just didn't call it that back then lol)
Old 01-07-2016, 12:30 AM   #9
pugs

yup will be registered with that number as that's whats on the title as a VIN
Old 01-07-2016, 12:38 AM   #10
pugs

that looks like a hydromatic column in the truck.. Id love to have those doors for my truck as I have none.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #11
58GMCSB

Quote:
that looks like a hydromatic column in the truck.. Id love to have those doors for my truck as I have none.
It is a hydromatic column. Im pretty sure its the original trans/engine

I need to figure out of the master cylinder can be rebuilt or not. My projects have always been late 60's muscle cars, this is my first 50's truck
Old 01-07-2016, 01:02 AM   #12
OrrieG

Welcome, Jason called and wants to know where you live so he can complete the tagging.... Looks like a good one, old hydros are killer transmissions, but hard to find parts for.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:04 AM   #13
pugs

id just get a new one( Rock auto, $80) or upgrade to a dual master at least
Old 01-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #14
pugs

very seldom do ya see the hydro behind a six, most I seem in the TF trucks were v8
Old 01-07-2016, 01:10 AM   #15
58GMCSB

Quote:
very seldom do ya see the hydro behind a six, most I seem in the TF trucks were v8
Im guessing its the original configuration. tag says its a 6, column doesn't appear to be changed. I don't think there has been anything really swapped on this truck at all but wheels/tires. I do notice the rotor cap/wires appear to be somewhat new, but it appears to have the original generator and even the old school fuel pump with the glass bowl
Old 01-07-2016, 01:15 AM   #16
pugs

change the wheels drop a few inches and just drive it is all I would do
Old 01-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #17
58GMCSB

Any suggestions on where/how to start with this?

My plan is to take the body off the frame and work my way up. I crawled up underneath of it and im looking for connection points for the bed, but im not seeing anything. Lots of crud though The cab and doghouse seem fairly easy to get off
Old 01-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
57chevyman

Quote:

im looking for connection points for the bed, but im not seeing anything.
there should be total of 8 bolts holding the bed to the frame.
heres a pic to show you where the bolts would be...
Attached Images

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #19
OrrieG

Quote:
Any suggestions on where/how to start with this?

My plan is to take the body off the frame and work my way up. I crawled up underneath of it and im looking for connection points for the bed, but im not seeing anything. Lots of crud though The cab and doghouse seem fairly easy to get off
Spend $25 on a factory assembly manual, available all over Ebay and from aftermarket guys. Will make sense of a lot of things and show you all the stuff that has come up missing over the years. Regarding the Hydro trans, my Dads hunting school bus had a 302 six with a Hydro. 4 mpg on a good day...
Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #20
Oldtruckwelder

Looks like a nice truck !!!
Good luck with your project,
keep sending the progress reports
JT from SC
Oldtruckwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #21
BIGglaSS

VIN # is stamped on the upper frame rail, approximately under the drivers seat. You'll need a mirror to see it. 58's also had a metal VIN tag spot welded in the lower door jamb, under the data plate. I'd try to get it titled by the real VIN or you could have trouble selling it out of state later down the road.
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #22
58GMCSB

Ok, i went all over this frame last night with a mirror and my phone's camera. Now i haven't scrubbed the frame off yet and it has a fair amount of general dirt/scale and crud on it. I dont see any tag. It could be stamped in but i'll have to wait to see that when i get the frame off.

Digging around on the internet through various websites, i keep seeing that GMC's in this era didn't have VINs, the truck was registered by the ID number in the door.

The explanation i keep seeing is that until about 1980 every manufacturer had different formats for VIN. In the 50's for trucks, Chevrolet had VIN number/tags on the frame and firewall, but GMC had just the ID plate. GMC's also had numbers on the frame, engine, transmission and rear end, but they weren't ID numbers that linked the part to a particular vehicle, just numbers to identify that particular part of the vehicle and the features it had (gear ratios on rear ends, CID on engines, type of frame..etc).

I don't see any place below the ID in the door where there was a VIN plate welded in. I see 2 square recessed spots where something was obviously riveted or screwed in. By the placement of the rivets, the top recessed area is obviously the ID tag, the bottom one looks to be maybe the size for something like a tire size/rating badge or something like that.

Can anyone with a 58/59 GMC give me more info or tell me if what im reading is right?
Old 01-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #23
OrrieG

Not sure about GMC but the Chevys have the vin stamped on the top of the frame top rail just in front of the steering box and under the driver step. If the truck has been restored before the one in front of the box may be painted over. The one under the step can be cleaned and a transfer made using paper and lead pencil to get an image. The one under the cab was supposed to be a secret known only to law enforcement for vehicle recovery. All GM cars have a second one too, on my Chevelle it is on the back top of the rear passenger inner fender where you can see it from inside the trunk.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #24
58GMCSB

I don't think its every been restored before. It seems, from what im reading, that even though they were both gm lines, that chevrolet and gmc were somewhat different when it came to this particular facet of their vehicles