The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #51
cubber

Re: The Egg Hauler.... not much of a build

I love your truck! My stepper started with a 250, too. On your exhaust, check out Langdon's Stovebolt cast iron headers they have header flow with stock manifold clearance, and not prone to leak like steel headers.

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #52
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

You found a pearl with that truck, love the originality. I had a 70 once that was pure original, bone stock from my FIL but it got away. Love the message too, I'm another voice for spreading it, I do every chance I get. Truck looks great with the drop, good luck on finding a good, cheap exhaust solution.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #53
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubber View Post
I love your truck! My stepper started with a 250, too. On your exhaust, check out Langdon's Stovebolt cast iron headers they have header flow with stock manifold clearance, and not prone to leak like steel headers.
Thanks cubber! Would love to snag a set of those headers if I cold find a screaming deal on em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
You found a pearl with that truck, love the originality. I had a 70 once that was pure original, bone stock from my FIL but it got away. Love the message too, I'm another voice for spreading it, I do every chance I get. Truck looks great with the drop, good luck on finding a good, cheap exhaust solution.
Thanks TennesseeZ. Think I might have scored a stock manifold locally for free so that's definitely a cheap solution .

Keep spreading the Good News my friend!
Posted via Mobile Device

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #54
Ta2Don

Haven't checked in in awhile... Looking good! Have a Happy Fourth...
Posted via Mobile Device
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #55
jcramsey

Got all my new brake lines in. Having a little trouble bleeding..not sure if i got the master bench bled all the way or not so might have to go back and make sure its bled properly.

Anybody got good brake bleeding tips?

Thanks
Jeremy

The Government Mule
Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #56
cubber

I've always used the one you put air into and put over the MC. Then you just bleed the lines at the wheel, starting at RR, then LR, then RF, then LF. The tool has brake fluid in it, so you don't run out, then you just take it off the MC, then top off the fluid, then put the MC lid back on. Sometimes you have to add more air to the bleeder if you are starting with empty lines.

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #57
jcramsey

Thanks cubber! I ended making a poor man's reverse bleeder. Worked like a charm for the front discs yesterday. Poured fluid in the master, sucked it up in the syringe and stuck it on the bleeder and filled the system that way.

Started on the back brakes and couldn't get them to fill at all. Went out with the wife last night so I returned to the rears this morning and realized what was going on. I essentially replaced the entire braking system front to back but didn't touch the 47 year old wheel cylinders. Two new cylinders later and the fluid was flowing.

Finished bleeding the brakes and took it for a spin. So much better than before, I actually feel safe driving!

There is a little bit of a dead pedal before it starts to brake, so I'm wondering if I need to bleed some more or what? I'll have to measure the travel to see how far it is, but just wondering if that is normal. Been so long since I had good brakes I'm not sure what its supposed to feel like.

Feels goooood to be back on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

The Government Mule
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #58
OrangeAnimal

Adjust the rear shoes just short of where they start to drag as you rotate the drum. If that doesn't help then try to bleed the rear again.

I have always used the method of just cracking open the bleeder valve and letting the fluid just flow out for awhile. If that doesn't work I get someone to press the brake pedal while I open the bleeder. The biggest mistake people making is pumping the brakes several times to get the pedal to return to having some feel to it.

Work the pedal slowly!!! Here's how I do it. Press pedal slowly till it gets firm or hits the floor, hold it there, open the valve, watch the fluid as it comes out shut the valve before it stops flowing completely, slowly remove your foot from the pedal, wait about 10 seconds, slowly reapply the brake, repeat, repeat, repeat. Hopefully by then you have a good pedal and have stopped getting air from the bleeder.

Hope that helps you out.
OrangeAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #59
jcramsey

Big help, thanks Orange!
Posted via Mobile Device

The Government Mule
Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #60
jcramsey

Found some inspiration from an old post by Tx Firefighter. Lowering Blocks 101

I really wanted my truck level, so 2 more inches down in the back should do it. I've had this chunk of 2" square tube floating around in my garage for a long time and am glad to finally have a good use for it. Being a pack rat has its advantages sometimes.

A few measurements, a good bit of drilling, a little time with the trusty grinder, and a set of lowering blocks is born.

I ordered my CPP c notch kit last night from Summit and hopefully will have good luck with it. I've heard mixed reviews.

Also picked up a stock 250 manifold on Saturday. Didnt have any plastic containers big enough to drop it in for the vinegar treatment, so I built up a little box and will line it with a trash bag or similar. Waiting on the intake to exhaust gasket to come in as well.
Attached Images

The Government Mule
Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #61
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I need to go back and revisit my lowering block article. There was someone awhile back that said I have posted the wrong size for the u bolts. Did you find that to be the case ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #62
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I need to go back and revisit my lowering block article. There was someone awhile back that said I have posted the wrong size for the u bolts. Did you find that to be the case ?
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't gotten new u-bolts yet so I'm not sure. I'll update what I find when I get new ones though.

The Government Mule
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #63
jcramsey

Ended up ordering some u-bolts yesterday from vendor/member way2lo2. Easy to deal with, fast communication, and they were shipped yesterday too. Well worth the $35 shipped for me not to have to figure out somewhere around here that even makes U-bolts, worrying if they will get the angle right so it lines up with the holes, then driving to wherever it is to pick them up.

Here is his thread:

Lowering block U-bolts

The Government Mule
Old 07-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #64
McMurphy

I just had a pair of u-bolts made for my rear sway bar mod at a local Transmission Shop. Cost me $26 ... easy peasy !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #65
jcramsey

My CPP c-notch and longer u-bolts both arrived yesterday

Just need to round up three buddies now to help me lift the bed off of this truck to make it a lot easier to do the work for this notch install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter the washers for my u-bolts were stamped 3/4.
Attached Images

The Government Mule
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #66
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post

Tx Firefighter the washers for my u-bolts were stamped 3/4.
I'm gonna go dig up that FAQ thread and change the measurements. The ones I has made we're 5/8 but I'm realizing my u bolts had apparently been changed in the past to smaller ones because you're not the first guy to tell me his were 3/4".
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #67
jcramsey

Been working on my stock exhaust manifold lately which has been a pain. Just trying to get rusty bolts out is turning into a chore.

Went home to visit my family last weekend and my brother and I got the outlet flange side bolts cut off/drilled out/tapped for new bolts, only to come back home and realize the bolts on top for attaching to the intake are too long to use too. They are just as rusted in as the others were. Tried to put a little heat on one yesterday with my little propane torch, but it just laughed at me. I dont have any taps or I would just give it the same treatment as the other bolts. Anybody got any good rusty bolt removal tips. I may soak it in vinegar for a week and see if that loosens them up.

The Government Mule
Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #68
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Love it! Glad to see another 6 cylinder in a truck!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #69
jcramsey

Got my stock manifold on. Just needed to trim down the studs to work with my Offenhauser I need to come up with an exhaust pipe now...althought it is much quiter already than when I had the header on.

Decided to wait til cooler weather until I put the c-notch in and finish lowering the rear. I break into a sweat just walking out the back door...I just wanna enjoy driving areound town with the windows down right now.

I did make a run up to Mt. Pleasant for the Coffee and Cars event this past weekend. I was definitely the oddball out. Mostly new vettes, mustangs and imports, with a couple of lambos,ferrari and porsches and a few other classic cars thrown into the mix. I was the only truck...and definitely the only vehicle with rust and no exhuast

The Government Mule
Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #70
Jmorales3181

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramsey View Post
Got my stock manifold on. Just needed to trim down the studs to work with my Offenhauser I need to come up with an exhaust pipe now...althought it is much quiter already than when I had the header on.

Decided to wait til cooler weather until I put the c-notch in and finish lowering the rear. I break into a sweat just walking out the back door...I just wanna enjoy driving areound town with the windows down right now.

I did make a run up to Mt. Pleasant for the Coffee and Cars event this past weekend. I was definitely the oddball out. Mostly new vettes, mustangs and imports, with a couple of lambos,ferrari and porsches and a few other classic cars thrown into the mix. I was the only truck...and definitely the only vehicle with rust and no exhuast

Glad u got her back on the road and made it to a show. Just owning an old truck like ours... We r already oddballs
Can't wait to be driving mine to the local shows and stand out an oddball... These trucks are limited where I am Nevermind sitting on the ground
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #71
jcramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 View Post
Glad u got her back on the road and made it to a show. Just owning an old truck like ours... We r already oddballs
Can't wait to be driving mine to the local shows and stand out an oddball... These trucks are limited where I am Nevermind sitting on the ground
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Jmo! Whats the timeframe for having yours ready for some cruising? You will definitley stand out in the crowd...in a good way. I love the work you've done on your truck!

My Walker 48111 exhuast pipe should be showing up today. Thanks to Sharps40 for that part number. He literally saved me a couple hundred bucks! Just need to pick up a new flange and some exhaust studs now.

The Government Mule
Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #72
jcramsey

UPS man was right on time!
Attached Images

The Government Mule
Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #73
rusty76

Very nice indeed.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #74
jcramsey

Exhaust pipe went on without a hitch yesterday. Didnt even need any balin' wire or bungee cords! Was able to take it out again to the local meet again this morning. My wife did some shopping while i talked cars with some new folks. Great start to the weekend. Also met fellow board member ridinlow68 who was actually in town from Maine on vacation. He has a killer build going on in the 67-72 section. Project FROSTBYTE

The Government Mule
Old 09-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #75
coulter

the new stance looks great!! cool lookin truck man

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote