The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
lt1fire

New Burb

After a recent move from NC to WA I was planning on getting myself another cruiser, particularly a diesel one from Canada.

I did however, last week, stumble across a deal that I couldn't pass up. I've had 2 burbs before one diesel 4x4 1984 and one diesel 4x4 1995 and I grew up working on chevy muscle cars so I know my way around the bowtie.

So here is my new rig. It was part of all those "conversion" square bodies of the late 80s and early 90s that seemed to have about 14 different countries doing it for GM depending on the part of the US the car was sold in.

Mine was one of the collaborations from Chinook. So its got real Oak wood all over the place. Also seems like weather or not you got the High Top or regular roof line Chinook put a switch in there labeled TV, lol.

279k the guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from said the engine and trans had been rebuilt but doesn't have anything to prove it so didn't factor anything like that into the price. Looking at it it may have been replaced because it is very clean under the hood for that kind of mileage and I don't believe a stock 700R4 could last those miles anyway.

So there it is...... I'm in the process of pulling all the wood out, sanding and re-staining it all. As you can see someone painted the oak center console black so that will have to be sanded and restained also.
It has 35" toyo MT's and is lifted.... not sure 4"??? 6"??? I'll have to figure that out.

Known things wrong with it.

Broken DR shock
Leaks a tiny bit of tranny fluid (not sure where yet haven't really had much time around my work schedule to check it out)
Radio Doesn't work
Seems to be down on power. (So i'm going to check the compression on the cylinders, if they check out i'll just build up the stock motor with bolt ons and maybe a head swap, if the compression is bad i'll just buy a rebuilt stroked 383 to throw the TBI stuff on as I don't want the down time of having to rebuild myself because I don't have much time to do that stuff anymore)

Mods i'm planning.
14B and D60 swap
37" tire when the current ones wear out.
Locker in the Rear
sliders/bumpers/roof rack
Sleeping platform in the back.

Price I paid for this beauty..... $1450
lt1fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
lt1fire

Re: New Burb

One question I have is I know a dodge D60 is a direct bolt in but will a Dodge D70 rear swap into a 1/2 ton burb?

I found a set a few miles away for a killer price that have been rebuilt and have 4.56 gears and a locker in the D70
Old 05-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Nice score. Living in the SE I never would have guessed the PNW had so many rust-free old trucks. That looks like 6" of lift from here. Seems like most conversion trucks were over-kill on wood and velour, that one looks conservatively done. Might have something to do with the absence of the TV, like a lesser package?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:49 AM   #4
lt1fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Timber View Post
Nice score. Living in the SE I never would have guessed the PNW had so many rust-free old trucks. That looks like 6" of lift from here. Seems like most conversion trucks were over-kill on wood and velour, that one looks conservatively done. Might have something to do with the absence of the TV, like a lesser package?
Yeah most from trail wagons that i've found pics of have the raised roof. I'm guessing they just made one panel for all so i'll wire the TV and ACC switch up for some LED light bars in the future.

I've seen a bunch before I didn't like but I actually like the wood in this truck... Just have to pull it out and restain it all for the time being.

I'm also beginning to think its a 6" lift..... when the current toyos wear out i'll get some recentered H1's and 37's to see how they do.