The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
mongocanfly
Post Whore

safety safety safety..

Just a reminder to everyone...always wear you safety gear...
Today at work I was doing a line break on a hot resin line..
The line was supposed to be ready for disassembly..the procedure calls for the line to be frozen off before removal..we broke the frozen line at each end..the issue was the center union in the 2 piece pipe..the resin had degraded and formed a gas pocket..when I broke the union it basically exploded in my face..I had on all my ppe,, face shield and all..luckily..I took a direct shot to the faceshield, right arm and leg with 580 degree melted plastic resin...I came away with only a burn the size of a peanut below my ear..could have been much much worse...I will try to put up pics of my gear when the safety dept releases it.
Just be safe...
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
ejn74

Re: safety safety safety..

Glad you stayed safe.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

Glad you are OK brother!

A couple of years ago a member lost an eye to being in a hurry to use a wire wheel, he overlooked putting on his safety glasses.

In 1998 I got a bit of rust in my eye under a 1967 C 10 in a junkyard in NC. I got it out on my own, thank God! and learned never to get under any car without safety goggles on.

I got a facefull of Gun Scrubber solvent while spraying out a receiver in 1999. I ran into the shower and stood under it with all clothes on. I learned to wear my safety goggles when cleaning guns.

In 2012 I got a speck of sawdust in my good eye, standing under the shower got that out too but it hurt so badly I drove myself to the ER, nearly crashing twice on the way. Lacking health insurance that was a costly move only to find out the fleck was gone and that my eye would heal on its own by the next day. I had worn my goggles all day but taken those off to dump the sawdust over the deck rail.

WEAR YOUR SAFETY GOGGLES. That's three very lucky times for me, there may not be a fourth. Some guys won't get a first. Thanks for reminding us mongocanfly.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:47 AM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

High school wood shop. A guy held the tool wrong while at the lathe. Tool slammed against tool rest breaking it. Tool rest bounced off floor and hit his goggles. Knocked him back 6' onto floor
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I'm glad your gear did the trick. Might seem like overkill 98% of the time. You're not wearing it for that time. It's for the 2% when you're thanking your lucky stars you did.

Using a grinder calls for a face shield. I've seen a chunk of wheel embed in someone's cheek and that ain't nice.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

A face shield is a good idea with a grinder, yes.

I know a guy that was using a grinder with safety goggles, the disc exploded, PENETRATED his goggles, and still got into his eye! He was OK though.

I saw a dude Friday that was weed-eating a roadside ditch, without any eye protection. Some guys have tough eyes I guess.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Tough until something flies into them, right?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
midniteblues

Each and every time I see a wire wheel I have thoughts on 69 truckers experience.

A few weeks ago I walked outa my buddies shop as he was wire wheeling something. I put safety glasses next too him and he snarled wtf do I need those for.

I said Just put them on please and left.
Low and behold I get a call the next day, I shoulda listened too you i got a wire in my eye.lol lucky for him it just bounced off and didn't stick in. OUCH!

My boys are better at wearing them than I am.
I've had a grinding spark in my eyes twice now even wearing my safety glasses with side shields but no face sheild.

Mongo you got seriously lucky and I'm glad you posted this happening as it opens the imagination of what can happen too anyone reading this.

Just like a shop I keep a bag of safeties rite inside of my garage door for anyone needing them.

I did have a hell of a time finding a small pair locally for my grandson for Christmas as Santa brought him a daisy bb gun but Santa knew that the glasses came first....even cableas only had full size on hand.
I have my younger boy trained too not even touch his pellet rifle without safties. People see this and commend me on it.

Once one has a incident that changes your life forever they tend too look at saftey in a differnt way.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #9
Indian113

I worked in a Factory that made it's own Rubber parts for the Washing Machines. My Boss asked me to pick up a package of Hot Dogs at lunch when I went to the Market. I kinda snickered and said I'll buy you a decent sandwich if your Hungry! He said No I want them for a demonstration after lunch. The Company had bought a New Extruder for the water hose's and it had a Water Jet Knife for cutting them to length. We saw just how smooth it cut that Hot Dog and the Boss reminded everyone the Machine didn't care Hot Dog or Finger it would make a SMOOTH CUT!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 PM   #10
'63GENIII

In June of '08, I was doing a service change for an acquaintance. Had to go get some 2/0 wire from Home Depot. My oldest Daughter wanted to get out of the house so I took her with me. Kinda thought it was weird that she wanted to go but whatever, it was kinda cool she was hanging with the old man at 14 years old. IDK, maybe she was grounded.

Getting to the point, I asked the electrical isle attendant for a 40' cut of 2/0 (they won't let you cut it yourself). The guy was busy stocking something and seemed irritated as all hell that I had asked for help. He just turned and walked to the wire rack without a word. As he brought the 2/0 around on the carousel, I was getting splicing tape and rubber tape. Had both hands full. He says "40 feet, here hold this" and handed me the loose tail of the 2/0 as if to say "walk it down the aisle yourself and I'll cut it", only he let the wire go before I could put the two handfuls of tape on the floor.

I didn't even see the loose end of the 5/8" thick wire recoil towards my face. I didn't even have time to blink. The jagged edge of the wire (from the abused loppers that they cut with) caught me on the edge of my upper eyelid slicing it open and pushing it back so that the end also got my cornea. My slow reflexes made me jump back, slamming my head on the ground which I didn't even notice due to the pain in my right eye.

Long story longer, Daughter calls Wife and tells her "Dad's eye is dead" you need to take him to the hospital. Wife comes down, takes me into the emergency. Never before or since have I ever got in to see a doctor so fast. Didn't even have time to sit down.

Doc comes in, squirts some stuff in the eye (I think it was Vicodin 'cuz it stopped hurting right away), turned the lights out and gets the black light on it and says "I'll be damned" and calls the other Doc on duty. 2nd Doc comes in, takes a look and says "that's the deepest one Ive ever seen" to which the 1st Doc says "I know right?". The first Doc explains that he has no idea how I got away without losing the fluid in my eye, that it will heal but will take a few weeks and that it will probably be more painful than anything Ive known.

He was right on all counts. Especially the pain thing.

I wear sunglasses at a MINIMUM in that store now.

Point is that even if you're not the one doing the work, pay attention to the guy / gal around you. When it comes to safety, you're the only one looking out for you and accidents can and will happen when, where and how you least expect them.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote