The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Matt_50

Body and paint/ 1950 cab

I've decided to get to the rest of my cab. I had to replace half the floor and firewall. Still need to weld a few spots but it's about done. I took a wire wheel to a lot of the inside of the cab today. Knocked off a lot of old paint and surface rust.

Couple questions. There are areas I cannot really reach. Can I just spray some sort of rust converter sealer stuff in there?

There are a bunch of holes in my dash. How many should I really have?

My center piece in dash was painted, I started to clean it up. You guys think a polished metal look will work Ok?

I think I have all I need for future headliner, looks like all pieces are there. I have a center support piece that was kinda wedged in place. How should it mount?

And I've been told I can take glass anywhere and have new cut, it's flat so should be an easy request... opinions?

I cleaned the dash down to bare metal and hit it with some primer. I think I will remove trim and center piece and weld holes and fix radio holes next.

I don't have much experience here so any advice is appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
68 Stepper

Re: Body and paint/ 1950 cab

sub'd, I'm looking into the same with my 68 cab.
68 Stepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
Matt_50

Got a little time on it today. Decided to remove all the inner trim for glass and headliner. Also removed pieces from dash, I'll do them by hand. While I was doing all of that, my wife started sanding the driver door. I had already knocked all loose stuff off with wire wheel.

Sun was in our eyes, decided to mask some of the glass. Can't wait to get the inside all cleaned up. Already bought a wiring harness. In the meantime, I'm gonna be searching this site on door panel ideas.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
Matt_50

I'm doing this in parts. If I had shop I think I'd try to prime and clean up all at once. But I'm outside so I'm sanding, cleaning and priming in sections. There's not much time once I get home to it getting dark, but I think I'm making decent progress.

Today I sanded rest of dash. Also got some areas around windshield. The door needs a little more but we primed what we started, got a lot down to metal.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #5
Matt_50

Here's pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
Matt_50

Thought I'd show how bad original floor was. It rotted up the sides so I went up the firewall enough to cut all the way across. The bottom portion of this piece is all rusted and rotted.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Matt_50

I've been spending some time on old welds. I'm still learning and a friend of mine had me grind some spots down for him to redo.

Also had to splice in a piece to the seat base. The other was rusted through on the bottom.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #8
Matt_50

Same buddy who had me grind off bad welds gave me another quick tutorial. Thankfully I will cover the floor in carpet, and areas that will be seen I may need to skim some bondo on, like the dash holes I filled. They are a little ehhh. Not smoothest. I think between my welds, slow ones, and previous work on dash, this spot kinda feels a tad off. Hopefully it'll smooth out.
Attached Images