The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
NEWFISHER

Thumbs up My 1950 dog hauling, trailer towing, daily driver Suburban

We found ourselves leaving our hounds at home more than we wanted to during the summer cruises, car shows etc and I started looking for an A.D. truck. We were selling the 55 wagon that I built (way to nice of interior to haul dogs in) and I stumbled onto a partially restored, non running Suburban from AZ. Via Bellingham Wa. I asked the owner if she might be interested in a fully restored road trip proven drive anywhere 55 Chevy wagon and she wanted to trade. We loaded up and headed to Bellingham to check out the Burb, made the trade and pocketed some cash to boot. I spent the first few months getting it running, driving, installing all of the seats and dash items, painless harness and polishing the 10 years of "sitting" dust from it. I found a grille guard for it and some other cool trinkets. Here it is by the end of September this year and about when I found this forum.

I ordered a drop axle from Sid att www.droppedaxles.com and just returned into the house from nearly completeing it today. This months plans are to drop it 4 to 5 inches with Sids kit and mabey pull a couple leafs from the new 8 stack packs. Change the " cannot get parts for it " Dana 45 to a 69 2wheel drive chevy truck rear ( which I did today)and convert it to a 700r4 with a tall Lokar shifter.

My plans were to find an older patina truck, clean it up and drive it while I was spending the December weekends working on the Burb so I could still have a pre 60 truck todrive back and forth on my 70 mile commute. I picked up a 59 appache http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548089

Then mid clean up, I found a completely rebuilt 250 six with all of the cool guy mods. Big cam, shaved head, flat tops, behive z28 springs, 202 intakes, HEI, cast ceramic headers, Clifford 6=8 with a Holley 4bbl, high flow water pump etc and had to have it. Adam, the owner had just built an engine run stand and with the help of the machine shop, broke it in. I threw the apache on 3bay and craigslist and within a day had it sold. Bam....engine money. You could swap 2 V8s into a truck for what a full tilt 225hp 250 six cost, but I think the sixes are too cool for school and had to own it. I should be finished with the front and rear axles tomorrow and will start on the engine /700r4 swap next Friday after work. The Burb ought to be able to move out pretty good with the posi 3:73 rear and haul the trailer a little better with the added H.P.!
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote