The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
mr48chev

Re: My 1950 dog hauling, trailer towing, daily driver Suburban

You nailed it, that is the perfect stance and a great look. Not only a huge driving improvement but a huge appearance improvement on an already great looking burb.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #27
NEWFISHER

Thanks Mr48chev, I'm liking it better evry time I drive it. Kinda lit a fire and I'm stoked to do some of the little things. Stayed late after work and put a couple hours tinkering.

We have a drive through hot dog cart in the town I work in and I frequent the chili cheese quite often. Normally the guys next door give a wave or a nod when I'm sitting in the burb ordering and waiting for the mouth watering goodness to arrive, but today they came over and struck up a conversationnoticing it was lowered. The burb used to get some attention, but since yesterday its been thumbs up at every intersection and its not like we moved to a new town. Dropping it just changes several things, not just geometry lol.

My Sids dropped axle Tshirts came in today along with the rest of my Lokar stuff. Last night I must have pulled the motor and trans 5 times in my head before I fell asleep. Hoping to do both this weekend and be lighting up some wide whites on Monday!
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #28
lonelywanderer

love your suburban... one day i will find a nice one like yours
lonelywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #29
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Thanks Dan, I work 50 hours a week 35 miles from home, so I have to plan ahead on the weekends and don't have much margin for error as The shop that I can use allows me to work on stuff, but it has to roll out for Monday.

Its a Sid's www.droppedaxles.com set up. 4.5 inches front and 4 inches rear. All leaf packs are new and OE style 8 leaves per pack. No rubbing, even entering an exiting driveways with full turn. It's perfect for a DD. It has about a 1 inch rake to it and I think its due to the rear leaf packs being slightly stiffer for hauling, plus the 1/2 difference in static drop. Looks way better in person than on my cell camera. If you go with the drop axle, make sure you upgrade to the taper bearings and the tie rod style steering joints.....HUGE difference in driving, handling etc.
Excellent information, thanks.

I noticed on the Sids website that he offers to modifiy your drop link, etc to minimize bump steer with the dropped axle. Did you go that route with yours?

I already have the tapered roller bearings in my disc brake conversation kit which I've not installed yet after getting "stuck" thinking about IFS. I just think in 20 years maybe we'll be regretting cutting frames in half for clip installs-I may be wrong. Yeah, I know an MII cross member is reversible.

I'll definitely do a king pin rebuild and modern tie rods if I use a drop. SEEMS like it would be fine; true not IFS "fine" but still really nice for most driving.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #30
Coach529

Beautiful Burb.

I love readin this stuff since I am in the process of prepping my axle for some of SID's magic very soon.

Quote:
tie rod style steering joints
Are you refering to the newer style drag link?

Thanks!!

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #31
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Excellent information, thanks.

I noticed on the Sids website that he offers to modifiy your drop link, etc to minimize bump steer with the dropped axle. Did you go that route with yours?

I already have the tapered roller bearings in my disc brake conversation kit which I've not installed yet after getting "stuck" thinking about IFS. I just think in 20 years maybe we'll be regretting cutting frames in half for clip installs-I may be wrong. Yeah, I know an MII cross member is reversible.

I'll definitely do a king pin rebuild and modern tie rods if I use a drop. SEEMS like it would be fine; true not IFS "fine" but still really nice for most driving.
Dan do it! no regrets
I ordered all new steering rods, arms, pitman, drag etc from Sid for 2 reasons. It all comes from the same source new and I dont have to modify or blame a component if there was a problem or a feeling the way it drove when I was done. It far exceeded the ride and drive that I was used to or anticipating. It's been a balmy 50 degrees and INCHES of rain comming down since Sunday, but I am so tickled about how it drives I have been driving 75 miles round trip to work, running errands after etc.

I can tell you that I was on the fence on a IRS set up too. It's not much more money than doing what I did and getting EVERYTHING new, but it came down to how I feel about keeping the nostalgic / classic vehicle in the nostalgic and classic way. I'm not knocking those who go s-10 chassis, MII etc, those builds are super cool and I respect those who have made the change to modern technology but mine is what it is.....a 1950 Suburban with a solid axle, straight 6 and the original frame that I am preserving. Sure, tapered bearings and new style tie rods are "newer" stuff, so is our gasoline and oil, but they are safer than the old.

I would do the swap again on the next truck too. The Drop axle, steering components, springs, shackles etc are almost the same cost for everything, actually alot more than clipping one with a camaro/nova etc. and I am sure the ride when doing a MII or clip is like driving a new car, but if i wanted to drive a new car I would jump into one that we we have.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #32
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach529 View Post
Beautiful Burb.

I love readin this stuff since I am in the process of prepping my axle for some of SID's magic very soon.

Are you refering to the newer style drag link?

Thanks!!
Coach,
Yes , you toss the old ball and socket assembly ( complete) and either modify your pitman arm or buy a new one from Sid with the 7degree taper set up for the new style tie rod, new drag link to the modified left steering arm and the new cross steering link with new style tie rods and modified or new right steering arm. The only thing in the "steering system" I re-used was the box and column. The only suspension or chassis items I reused were the backing plates and modified the hubs with tapered bearings. All new springs, shackles, brakes, cylinders, hardware, greasable pins, bushings, center pins, ubolts , axle with new kings and spindles and shocks.

It sounds like alot, but even with routine maintenence over the years and it still driving as a daily driver, it needed a makeover and after installing it all, its a huge difference. You can just buy an axle for $400 + shipping and $100 core and swap your stuff or you buy the king kit, spindles, tapered bearings, tie rod conversion etc. and jump in with both feet. Just depends on what you are after in the end. I drive it 75 miles a day minimum on todays interstates most of the way ( the roads were much different and slower back in 1950) and wanted to feel as safe as I could, ride and steer as best as I could using a little technology and trying to keep it as traditional as I could.

Hope it helps
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #33
Coach529

Quote:
Coach,
Yes , you toss the old ball and socket assembly ( complete) and either modify your pitman arm or buy a new one from Sid with the 7degree taper set up for the new style tie rod, new drag link to the modified left steering arm and the new cross steering link with new style tie rods and modified or new right steering arm. The only thing in the "steering system" I re-used was the box and column. The only suspension or chassis items I reused were the backing plates and modified the hubs with tapered bearings. All new springs, shackles, brakes, cylinders, hardware, greasable pins, bushings, center pins, ubolts , axle with new kings and spindles and shocks.

It sounds like alot, but even with routine maintenence over the years and it still driving as a daily driver, it needed a makeover and after installing it all, its a huge difference. You can just buy an axle for $400 + shipping and $100 core and swap your stuff or you buy the king kit, spindles, tapered bearings, tie rod conversion etc. and jump in with both feet. Just depends on what you are after in the end. I drive it 75 miles a day minimum on todays interstates most of the way ( the roads were much different and slower back in 1950) and wanted to feel as safe as I could, ride and steer as best as I could using a little technology and trying to keep it as traditional as I could.

Hope it helps
I am 100% on board. It close to doubles my budget, but I feel it is for the best. I am not replacing my springs, but pulling them apart and cleaning them up and painting them. The shackles will be rebuilt or replaced.

I have the tapered bearings with my dsc brake kit.

Kingpins will be replaced.

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #34
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

burb looks great.
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #35
NEWFISHER

I have been driving the Burb all week to work and getting some little bugs worked out before I start the engine/trans swap plus I just love driving the thing. One thing I was fighting was increased effort to turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. I spoke to Sid and we talked about caster, how it plays into steering effort and when dropping a truck 4.5 inches things change. I did buy the 4 and 6 degree shims so I would have some adjustment if I needed to. I swapped all the shims around last night and the test drove each time to see what would change, still tough. I had remembered the Pitman arm hanging off the box slightly to the rear, but quickly forgot about it as the front steering was blown apart and thought that I hadn't changed the geometry when I was pulling parts and tossing them out of the way. I pulled the arm, clocked it back a tooth and lengthened the drag link so the tie rods had roughly 1/3 threaded area in the tube, they had been screwed in most of the way into the tube so the overall length was short at first. Settled the steering/suspension and then popped the steering wheel to center it. I took it for a test drive and what a difference! It's like powersteering with these skinny Coker's again.

My plans were to swap the engine and do a 700r4 conversion this weekend, but the shop I had lined up to borrow just became unavailable this weekend. So, it's 45 degrees and raining here and I have the Ez-Up ready to go and the driveway cleared for at least an engine swap. My plans are scaled back a little, but obtainable....get the new engine in , Lokar pedal, cables and get it running with the 4speed. next weekend tackle the 700r4 swap and spread it out on a couple cold driveway weekends.

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 12-07-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #36
PurdueSD

Holy crap! An Engine/trans and pedal swap in a weekend on your dd. Man i need friends like you to give me a swift boot in the rear!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #37
NEWFISHER

^^ GIT R DUN!

I'm not the "relax" guy, I'm the ADHD adult that is always cleaning, organizing, planning, re-planning and organizing. My wife says I'm gonna look good in the coffin after my early heart attack LOL

The pedal swap looks pretty basic. Removing the mechanical system, template the Lokar, drilling 4 holes and cutting out the swing arm section. Pulling the motor looks like removing the hood, draining the fluids, 4 hoses, cable, coolant temp bung, oil pressure bung, 4 wires, 6 bell housing bolts a fuel line and the cutting the exhaust as I am going to run cast headers. Figure in a parts store run, I'm shooting for mid day Sunday to fire it up with the shorty sprint car mufflers hanging from the header flanges as a temporary exhaust. I have it scheduled for the exhaust shop next week and will bring the Summit cross member to locate the tube down the drivers side. Going with 2.5 inch 2 into 1 about 18 inches from the headers, into a large 3 chamber magnaflow and 2.5 inch out 45 degrres at the left corner 45 down to the pavement.

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 12-07-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #38
NEWFISHER

Pressure washed the grime off the bell housing and trans at lunch, washed the rest and it cleaned up pretty well after a week of rainy roads. I want to try to keep as much of the grease from getting on me during the swap. I think it's settling a little since last weekend, the nose is sitting perfect.

overlook the hood gaps...I have a plan later
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #39
**grumpy**

I get tired just watching your updates...

Im in my comfy chair, watching Elf and trolling the net. Keep us posted on your progress...
Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #40
NEWFISHER

Grumpy, grab a flight and come on out this weekend. I could use a hand!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #41
Coach529

Perfect......

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
Coach529

Quote:
I have been driving the Burb all week to work and getting some little bugs worked out before I start the engine/trans swap plus I just love driving the thing. One thing I was fighting was increased effort to turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. I spoke to Sid and we talked about caster, how it plays into steering effort and when dropping a truck 4.5 inches things change. I did buy the 4 and 6 degree shims so I would have some adjustment if I needed to. I swapped all the shims around last night and the test drove each time to see what would change, still tough. I had remembered the Pitman arm hanging off the box slightly to the rear, but quickly forgot about it as the front steering was blown apart and thought that I hadn't changed the geometry when I was pulling parts and tossing them out of the way. I pulled the arm, clocked it back a tooth and lengthened the drag link so the tie rods had roughly 1/3 threaded area in the tube, they had been screwed in most of the way into the tube so the overall length was short at first. Settled the steering/suspension and then popped the steering wheel to center it. I took it for a test drive and what a difference! It's like powersteering with these skinny Coker's again.

My plans were to swap the engine and do a 700r4 conversion this weekend, but the shop I had lined up to borrow just became unavailable this weekend. So, it's 45 degrees and raining here and I have the Ez-Up ready to go and the driveway cleared for at least an engine swap. My plans are scaled back a little, but obtainable....get the new engine in , Lokar pedal, cables and get it running with the 4speed. next weekend tackle the 700r4 swap and spread it out on a couple cold driveway weekends.
This is interesting. Wonder what effect a long drag link has on ease of steering.

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #43
**grumpy**

Quote:
Grumpy, grab a flight and come on out this weekend. I could use a hand!
Man I wish i was close.
All my buddys are in chair mode, at least til mid-end of Jan, then cabin fever sets and spring is around corner, so we get motovated...
Old 12-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #44
NEWFISHER

Got the hood off and all the wireing, fuel and throttle disconnected

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #45
Dan in Pasadena

Did you get an extra burst of energy and paint the truck yellow? lol.

Kidding. Your plans are ambitious but I truly admire your speed. Can't wait to see how it goes. If I tried that I'd never make it not to mention I'd never get photos taken as well.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #46
mknittle

I think you may have a career as a one man pit crew!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #47
NEWFISHER

Haha....one man pit crew. I started at 11am and had to quit at 6pm for my wifes Christmas party dinner. I got the old 250 (integrated exhaust/head) out and the new 250 in. Had to build an alternator bracket, swap Tstat housings, run a longer oil pressure line, mount anddissmount the forward headed about 6 times. Oil filters, heater hoses, painted the engine bay, newmounts, a ton of nick nacks. Have a throttle system to build tomorrow and run some longer HEI harness,install the radiator and light it off. Illget some pics of the completed job, I have to still paint the finned aluminum parts red and install them too.

Dan, not yellow just a crappy cell phone pic. I was so excited last night to start working I had to snap a pic and send it to my wife to show her why I was late getting home for dinner
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #48
Coach529

Quote:
Haha....one man pit crew. I started at 11am and had to quit at 6pm for my wifes Christmas party dinner. I got the old 250 (integrated exhaust/head) out and the new 250 in. Had to build an alternator bracket, swap Tstat housings, run a longer oil pressure line, mount anddissmount the forward headed about 6 times. Oil filters, heater hoses, painted the engine bay, newmounts, a ton of nick nacks. Have a throttle system to build tomorrow and run some longer HEI harness,install the radiator and light it off. Illget some pics of the completed job, I have to still paint the finned aluminum parts red and install them too.

Dan, not yellow just a crappy cell phone pic. I was so excited last night to start working I had to snap a pic and send it to my wife to show her why I was late getting home for dinner
Sounds like you had a great day.

"Adventures of Henry"

Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #49
NEWFISHER

Grrrrr. Forward cast header will not install without hitting the steering box,even with head studs pulled. Now onto modifying engine mounts.grrrr
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #50
NEWFISHER

Still no front heeader but most everything else done. I spent all day pulling the engine trans combo loose and sliding it around to try and fit this header. Who needs a gym member ship when you can do hundreds of sit ups, knee bends, and just get up off the floor and get back downs! Here's a couple pics.

Posted via Mobile Device