The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Chris_72_JIMMY

Started My Never-Ending Project

Well, I purchased my 1972 GMC Jimmy on Nov 1st. I traded my 96' Bronco in for it and although the Bronco was a good vehicle I am more than happy with my decision.

The trip from the dealership back to my house was the first time driving the Jimmy. When I went and looked at it the first time it had a flat front tire, the battery was dead, and the air cleaner wasn't even installed. The sales person put a batter jump box and it started right up but was leaking fuel out of the inline fuel filter a few inches from the carb. So I passed on a test drive that day. Thought about it overnight, debated back and forth with the wife, and went and bought it the next day.

The sales guy mentioned that it leaked transmission fluid, so I knew that it was going to be an interesting 30-40 min drive home, boy was I in for a shock. At that point I knew I was getting it, so I was committed to going all the way home and a test drive was pretty much worthless at this point. I jumped in, started it, and said "If you hear from me it’s a bad thing" to the sales guy and drove off. First speed bump heading out of the dealership and I about bounced out of the seat, it's at that point that I realized the front seat wasn't bolted down very well and the seat was sliding all over the place. Before I purchased it the car the sales guy mentioned that they just re-wired it and all the lights work. Well, I throw on the right blinker to pull out of the lot and the left indicator on the dash lights up. So I was unsure what lights were functional and I drove the rest of the trip without using the blinker as I figured no blinker was less of a problem as an opposite side blinker. It's running fine and although the center rear view mirror normally glued to the windshield was laying on the dash and the passenger side was angled down showing me the rear tire I had the driver’s side mirror adjusted and I was good to go. About a mile into the trip I noticed the speedometer was pegged at O MPH, so with that and the incorrect blinker on the dash I figured no gauges worked. So when I noticed smoke billowing out from under the hood and into the cabin I was hoping that I wasn't overheating. Well at the next light the smoke and smell intensified. So I quickly pulled over shut it off and popped the hood to see what was happening. It’s at that point where I noticed where the tranny leak the dealership mentioned was coming from. The transmission dipstick was blowing fluid all out where the tube met the transmission housing which in turn was flowing right on to the hot exhaust pipe. It was a pretty substantial leak so I let it cool for a few minutes but I knew my time was limited with how much fluid was leaking out. I shut the hood, hopped back in at was determined to make it the rest of the way. The remaining 20 minutes home, although a little smoky was pretty uneventful. Pulled up in front of the house and a very slight sense or regret crept in to the back of my head. I was happy with the purchase but the drive confirmed for me just how much work was ahead of me to make this a reliable driver.

Over the next few days I troubleshot some wiring issues. I got all lights to work on the outside with the exception of the reverse lights but the dash cluster is almost hopeless. I also messed with the transmission dipstick tube and found that somebody globed clear silicone all over it to try and address the leak before. I figured I might as well do it right and dropped the transmission and the NP-205 transfer case. It’s at that moment I realized the TH350 to NP205 adapter was cracked at some point and it looks like someone tried to braze the crack. So now you’re caught up to where I am at today as a th350 will be sent to a shop and I will tackle the transfer case rebuild myself. I know this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as little projects go but I am ready to drive this beast and am excited to get it back to the great vehicle I know it is, but this may take a while.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chris_72_JIMMY; 11-06-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Chris_72_JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
6768chevylover

Re: Started My Never-Ending Project

Good luck with your build. Welcome to the board. The guys on here are awesome and very knowledgeable. Your wiring looks like its from American Auto Wire.
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
jaros44sr

welcome aboard, so goes the life of a Jimmy/Blazer owner. Is that the speedo cable in a rats nest?

You are at a point I was 18 years ago....

I may have a tc adapter, if you want to pay shipping

good luck with the project, and keep posting progress reports. We love pics, make sure you include, or as the saying goes around here, it didn't happen

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
cleszkie

I'm sure you have just scratched the surface of fun discoveries. 40+ years of backyard mechanics working on these trucks lends itself to some very entertaining engineering/fixes.

Last edited by cleszkie; 11-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
Chris_72_JIMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6768chevylover View Post
Good luck with your build. Welcome to the board. The guys on here are awesome and very knowledgeable. Your wiring looks like its from American Auto Wire.
Thanks for the heads up and for the welcome. I check out the American Auto wire site for some schematics as I have nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
welcome aboard, so goes the life of a Jimmy/Blazer owner. Is that the speedo cable in a rats nest?

You are at a point I was 18 years ago....

I may have a tc adapter, if you want to pay shipping

good luck with the project, and keep posting progress reports. We love pics, make sure you include, or as the saying goes around here, it didn't happen
I sent a PM about the adapter, and yes that is the speedo cable. Thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I'm sure you have just scratched the surface of fun discoveries. 40+ years of backyard mechanics working on these trucks lends itself to some very entertaining engineering/fixes.
Yes indeed. The best part is that everything is fairly easy to get to and parts so far seem to be cheap. The problem is I need almost every part. I knew what I was in for and its fun....but it's gonna take some time.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
MIKE77z

I'm just about finished this one that I'm building for another person. As it has been my first blazer project it's been a bunch of hurdles but it's sure a looker now and I truly did enjoy doing it even with the hiccups

Welcome to the board and enjoy the build

Mike
MIKE77z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Chris_72_JIMMY

Well, a little more work done yesterday. Pulled out the front seats and the half assed speaker box carpet that was on the floor. Little surface rust but nothing serious. Looking for opinions if I should cover the floor in por15 or rust encapsulator or something before I lay down some new carpet?
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
6768chevylover

I'd Por15 it as long as ya clean up the loss rust before ya do it.
6768chevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
Chris_72_JIMMY

So I have been working for the last few days on all the wiring. Installed my new gauge cluster with the added tach and vacuum gauge. I also finally got my reverse lights to work. I will need to buy the extra little wire crimps where it clips into the back of the dash and I should be good to go as far dash electrical goes.

I ended up dropping the fuel tank to figure out why the fuel level wasn't working. After inspecting everything I will need a new tank/straps & sending unit. 1 step forward 2 steps back but I am making progress.

I also ended up blasting the skid plate in prep for me to powdercoat in the next day or two.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
jaros44sr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DmVvAu]20171113_115108

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21uGpd2]20171113_115157

here's the adapter, seems to be in good shape. please PM zip code

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 11-14-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Chris_72_JIMMY

PM coming your way!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
jaros44sr

Merry Christmas to you

I'm guessing you have an NP 205?

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-15-2017, 12:57 AM   #13
Chris_72_JIMMY

Quote:
Merry Christmas to you

I'm guessing you have an NP 205?
Correct.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:01 AM   #14
Chris_72_JIMMY

The progress continues, got the t-case disassembled, and started sand blasting parts.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
jaros44sr

How did the oil look in the case, trans. fluid? a lot of guys have the seal blow and end up with tranny fluid in the t case

are you staying with original shifter or going twin stick?

Nice progress

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #16
Chris_72_JIMMY

Twin stick is on order, the fluid looked ok but I pressure washed it right before I disassembled so I saw a bunch of water in it but not much if any tranny fluid. I was just gonna put new gaskets and run it but as soon as I took one of the rear covers off I wiped it with a rag and noticed metal flakes.....so a full rebuild it is after that.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #17
jaros44sr

Shipped the t/c adapter out fed ex today

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #18
Chris_72_JIMMY

Quote:
Shipped the t/c adapter out fed ex today
Good to hear, PM how much I owe ya!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #19
Chris_72_JIMMY

Well this was 2 hour blasting process (with a few drink breaks). Just have to tell myself it will be worth it when I can get some powder on it! Rebuild kit is on its way, so have to get all the rest stripped and coated so I can put it back in before I forget how it all goes together.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2017, 12:29 AM   #20
Spf79

You are moving fast, awesome!! What twin stick are you using?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:17 AM   #21
Blazerowner

I’ve seen worse wiring. I bought a 71 nova years ago and it had cords from a house lamp and splices everywhere. I just tore it out and replaced it all. By the way painless makes a kit for our trucks as well. I’m not sure how to tell the difference but you could have one of their kits. I’ve only used American auto wire and it’s a pretty nice kit but I’ve heard painless is comparable. Painless was pretty popular in the past and his been around a while.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #22
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_72_JIMMY View Post
Good to hear, PM how much I owe ya!
Let's wait till you receive it, then we can settle up shipping

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #23
Chris_72_JIMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spf79 View Post
You are moving fast, awesome!! What twin stick are you using?
The JB Custom Fab one. Seems like the one to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I’ve seen worse wiring. I bought a 71 nova years ago and it had cords from a house lamp and splices everywhere. I just tore it out and replaced it all. By the way painless makes a kit for our trucks as well. I’m not sure how to tell the difference but you could have one of their kits. I’ve only used American auto wire and it’s a pretty nice kit but I’ve heard painless is comparable. Painless was pretty popular in the past and his been around a while.
Yeah, this one wasn't bad. It was just a little hacked as they put in a later tilt steering column. So whoever put that in cut a few wires and made it fun to undue their mess ups. I managed to get everything to work except for the horn, but I think that's a problem within the column and not the harness.

Quote:
Let's wait till you receive it, then we can settle up shipping
Sounds like a plan. I'll let you know when I receive it. Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #24
Spf79

Nice, I went with the J&B twin stick as well. I got the adjustable detents, I would recomend them. It allows you to adjust how much resistance it takes to shift the levers.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #25
Chris_72_JIMMY

I thought about getting the adjustable detents and the new modified shift rail kit. Maybe another thing to add to the ever growing list.