The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Deer banged the 2011 GMC Sierra

I hit a deer at about 65 MPH on the interstate, that is after heavy brakes to get there. The left front headlight, hood corner, left fender crinkled, inner fender well, grille, drivers door, and of course the two overhead airbags for the side windows and the airbag from the driver's seat back. The dang deer came out of the median at 0430 in the morning and I hit him with a glancing blow. His tailend hit the driver's door and that set of the airbags. $7400.00 insurance estimate. Truck was drivable after the hit, but it is in the shop and will be back in two weeks time. Bambi Bumpin in Kansas
Old 10-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
buffle
buffle

Angry Re: Deer banged the 2011 GMC Sierra

Sorry to hear that, here in Missouri deer are a big problem.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
cedens

Re: Deer banged the 2011 GMC Sierra

Where in the heck is Beto Junction!!!!

Glad you are safe, wow premature airbag deployment or what?
cedens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I will do my best to keep this from being nasty, BUT, the dang deer's a$$ came around and nailed that door pretty hard, that is when the bags deployed, the truck shut off, and the flashers came on. OnStar called and asked if I was OK. I saw that furry POS and was on the brakes and turning away from him, but the stupid animule (And I do mean mule--talk about dumb and randy) decided to do the wrong thing anyways. This happened last Thursday morning and the parts were in the body shop already last night. I have to get the new grille and cut it up to install the billet center like my old one and I have to get the driver's seat to the upholstery shop to get the airbag mounted and stitching redone, this week.

The insurance adjuster priced everything with parts from all over the US and from parts suppliers that deal only in crap. There are places that sell blims and seconds from the different manufacturers and he used those places. The parts did not come from those outlets and we are using original GM parts. It would cost more to mount the crap and make them look right, My input to everyone would be, if you end up in a goober, watch those insurance companies closely. They will take you down a cheap and cheesy road. My point is, on a newer vehicle not only NO, but Hell NO. You paid your honestly earned money to them, they invested it to make money for themselves and now when you need it back, they screw you.

BETO Junction Kansas---A point that the US 75 highway and the I-35 Interstate intersects and a pair of truck stops sit upon it. Bright lights diesel fuel smell and a lot of idling semi tractors to make it seem homey to someone. There are hundreds of these such communities around the USA, I just went through about a dozen of them while I traveled back to Georgia and then home again last month.

This one is about equal distance from Burlington, Ks, Emporia, Ks, Topeka, Ks, and Overland Park, Ks; thus the name of BETO.

Last edited by piecesparts; 10-27-2013 at 11:20 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
cedens

I remember in school any time we took a trip up that way the bus HAD to stop at Beto Junction. It used to have a good Restaurant years ago.

My old state farm agent was the opposite, he had a deal with the best body/repair shop in town to over charge for everything, no one ever questioned it because the place does good work.
cedens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
MadManAndrew

My Geico agent has always used OEM prices when available. Maybe you need to look at different insurance companies.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My bet is that when you look at the processes that they use now, you will find just about all of the insurance agencies now use their own adjusters and they go for the cheap lines. Many body shops are NOT on the insurance agencies list, due to the fact the shop will not put Taiwanese or inferior parts on the cars that they do. The money that the agency saves is profit for them and a screwing for you. Many car owners are blind to this process and they for the most part do not care what the car was repaired with, they will trade it soon anyways. I on the other hand plan on keeping my toy for a long time.

My insurance agency told me that I could go to whatever shop that I wanted, but the one I picked was NOT one of their preferred shops. The insurance company was the one that did the adjustment and provided the parts sources. We did the change to another source ourselves and now we are getting the parts closer to home and in a better quality than what Mr. adjuster offered. All I can say if and when you are standing in a body shop with damage, ask about the process your agency uses. This is not a new process, this has been going on for quite some time.

I have been doing my body work on the side for a fair amount of time and was well aware of this when I went to the shop.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Low Elco

Sorry you got Banged up, Frank. Coulda been worse. Glad it's getting fixed up good for ya.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I am really quite surprised how well the truck took the hit and actually the low amount of damage caused by Bambi. This is considering the fact that over the years the sheetmetal gets thinner with every new line of vehicles coming out of the factory. The air bag mess is another story. They are replaceable but they are pricey, to say the least. If I had my way, I am not sure that I would put so many bags into a vehicle, but then I am just a little older than some other people. I have driven or rode in so many vehicles that the only air bag involved was the person talking in them.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
MadManAndrew

I've had three claims on my truck in the last year, every one where I've done the repairs myself. Every one has been profitable on my part because not only do I save money by not buying the OEM parts he gives me money for, but also because he still pays me the estimated labor knowing I'm doing it myself. My mom just got "front-ended" and her Geico agent specifically asked her to take it to the dealership for repairs because he wanted it repaired "like new". I'm telling you... Not all insurance companies are just looking out for themselves. I'm sorry about your truck, and good luck with the repairs. Ask around and see if you can find some one who likes/knows their agent as well as I do and maybe next time the process will be a little easier.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My bet if you look real close, if an insurance agency is touting a body shop, they have control of it's income by using either aftermarket, second, or used parts. Just an observation from my body shop buddies and I know several good ones. Just keep in mind you gave them good honest money for your insurance policy and they invest it for a return to them, so when you need it, they should give it back as needed. Hell, I went to school with my insurance agent and his family. He is a good guy. However it is not him, it is all of the companies that do investments and rarely do they part with the money that they have freely. I won't argue that there may be a company that will get the right parts, but those companies are far and few between.

When my truck comes out of the shop next Friday it will be all new GM, I have paid close attention to that. That is why I get to know my body and repair guys. I am picking up the driver's seat, tomorrow, from the upholstery shop with the air bag repairs completed.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Low Elco

You get your baby back, Frank?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Just rolled it into the garage, tonight. All new GM parts and it looks like new.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
Low Elco

Glad to hear it's back in one piece. I love that truck.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Yep, had to re-install three air bags, (both of the ones above the doors, and the one in the drivers seat back). Put in new air bag modules and air bag computer control box and got the GM dealer to repop the computer code. A new left fender, headlight, hood front, grille frame, front bumper, bumper trim, support brackets, right sun visor (the air bag going off, broke the base mount) seat belts (the safety charges set them and they are locked tight), and driver's door (complete door was cheaper than a new skin and the owrk to install it right). The paint is PPG and it was done right and the truck is completely buffed. All parts GM and fit like new. The body shop did it like they owned it, themselves. Since I had an upholstery shop change the seat covers to leather earlier, the body shop had me take the driver's seat back to them and they re-installed the air bag and restitched the material on the seat. I even got paid to make the trips to deliver and pick it up. Managed to get some of my insurance money back, that way. It was cold last night, so I don't know if I may have flat spotted my tires, when I applied the brakes hard or not. I will know soon, with the anti-lock braking system that this truck has, it would be hard to lock them up and actulally slide them to that point. There were no skid marks on the highway.

Good to have it back and running, missed it a lot.