The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2018, 12:59 AM   #1
Rufas

Cleaning up engine bay wiring harness questions.

As my project is slowly nearing completion I'm cleaning up, i.e. trying to hide, the under hood wiring. I have a new harness (purchased about 20 years ago). This harness was setup for the external voltage regulator that would have been mounted on the core support.

I have a one wire alternator (internal regulator) that the output is connected directly to the starter. Then a battery cable from the starter to the battery. I have a 6 terminal buss bar that connects to the positive of the battery. The buss bar is attached to the core support directly below the batter tray. The main harness fusible link is connected to that buss bar. The buss bar also has connections for my EFI fuel pump, electric radiator fans and air pump for the suspension air bags. Both the main harness and the harness going to the buss bar are routed behind the fenders and over the wheel wells. All connections from the buss bar are either circuit breaker or fuse protected. I do not have any factory gauges. All gauges have been replaced with the equivalent Auto Meter gauges. With the exception of not having a amp meter. I'm running the headlight harness under the core support.

I've reviewed the factory wiring schematics and it appears that I can cut the wires from the main harness that lead to the alternator. This includes the red wire that is normally connected to the alternator output and the blue and white wires that plug into the alternator. This includes cutting off the harness that would have been connected to the external regulator.

Since I don't have factory gauges I would like to remove both the 4 amp fuse holders that are normally used for the factory amp gauge.

I think I can remove the above without causing problems or is my thinking flawed?
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote