The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Atommik

51 Chevy 1/2 ton, My S10 swap

I started seriously looking for an AD truck about a year ago. Craigslist was my main source of vehicles to look at, but I did chase down a few other "I know a guy who's got this truck..." kind of leads. In May of 2011 I found this truck on Craigslist.Name:  51-2.jpg
Views: 10568
Size:  7.9 KB

Name:  51-3.jpg
Views: 10954
Size:  7.9 KB I got a hold of the owner and went to look at it after the snow melted!!
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Atommik

Re: 51 Chevy 1/2 ton, My S10 swap

It looked pretty decent and the price was right, so in May 2011 it was mine! I work at a body shop and my boss let me (with some help from co-workers) spend a couple of days tearing it down. The plan was to tear it down and basically bring home the body and donate the driveline to a guy who collects and sells parts for pre-47 trucks. He would come and get it, and use what he could from it. My work space at home is very limited. 2 car garage, with my wifes mini van taking up half!!
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Atommik

I'm planning to get an S10 frame in the spring. So in the mean time I'm doing the bodywork on the loose parts. I cut out the rusted cab floor, toe boards, and inner kick panels and replaced them. I had a local sheetmetal shop bend the floor piece for me and I made the toe bpoards and firewall pieces myself. I bought the kick panels on-line. I may need to cut a trans tunnel at a later time...I added some extra bracing to the floor since I cut out most of the seat frame.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Atommik

With the cab floor mostly done, I am moving on to other parts. My boss lets me bring in parts to work, and work on them over lunch, break time and after work. All four fenders are quite beat up, but not very rusty for a 60 year old truck that spent it's whole life in Minnesota!! I'm finished with both rear fenders, straightened and primed, blocked and reprimed for final sanding before paint. I probably have 30 hours of labor into the rear fenders...2/3 of it metal work!!
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Atommik

The doors are my current project. I started with the pass. door because it has less rust to deal with! I tried soaking the bottom of the doors in phosphoric acid to remove the rust. It worked pretty well! I have more rust to deal with than I thought. I made repair panels for the inner and outer panels on the door. They are all welded in and now I'm fixing a few dents in the door. I sand blasted the jams of the door and now have that in epoxy primer. I'm hoping to finish the right door this coming week and start the drivers side next week.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
Root2812

Nice truck. That looks to be about the same condition as my 50. Minnesota winters take their toll on the floors. My floor looks just like yours did before you fixed it.

Photobucket of my truck --> http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/a.../1950%20Chevy/

Last edited by Root2812; 11-27-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Atommik

Yeah, and this truck sat outside for at least the last 5 years with basically no windows except the windsheild! The only other real rusty areas are the cab corners, (front and rear).
Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
xpickup

Atommik, Looks like a great start. They all seem to have the same rusted areas.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
Atommik

Shannon, I've been watching your builds, nice work!! You inspired me to build my own truck bed, front bed panel and tailgate. Probably won't start them until March or April though.

Atommik
Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Looking good, keep the pics coming.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Atommik

Here's a few more mics pics. That's me on the left, and my cramped work space at home (bottom pic).
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
xpickup

Atommik, Thank you. Let me know if you need any pictures, dimensions or how I do them. Just take your time and watch your heat and it is not too bad.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #13
Atommik

Thanks, I'll let you know if I need anything.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
Atommik

I finished the body work on the right door, primed it and blocked it. Found one small low spot. Will fix that, then reprime. Hoping to start the other door this week. It needs some serious metal work on the inner lower. I'll see if I can make some repair panels, otherwise I may have to buy a patch panel!

I've been working out the details in my head for LED turn signals, parking lights and brake lights...shouldn't be too difficult.

I will have HID (Xenon) headlamps retro-fit into the original headlamp buckets and trim rings. I'll post pics if anyone is interested!!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #15
txrdnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
I will have HID (Xenon) headlamps retro-fit into the original headlamp buckets and trim rings. I'll post pics if anyone is interested!!
I'd be interested to see that, been thinking on those myself.
txrdnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
Atommik

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow. I'm not totally done with the conversion yet, but far enuf along to know it will work well. I'll post pics tomorrow PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #17
Atommik

Okay here we go. I work in a Mercedes/ BMW Bodyshop so I have a slight advantage as to picking up used Xenon (HID) headlamps(FREE!). The set I will be using came out of a 2001 or 2002 BMW 330. They are Bi-xenon, meaning one bulb is both the high and low beam, with the brightness controlled by a little flap that is electronically flipped with the high beam switch. I won't be setting it up for high beams however because I don't plan on driving the AD truck at night very much, and the low beam xenon are still very bright. Here's the original headlight, then its torn down components, Bulb holder and "igniter" (the black box in pic) and the control module (silver box).
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
Atommik

After tearing down the AD headlight, the head scratching began. I wanted to try this xenon swap with out totally destroying the original parts in case it didn't work or if at some time down the road I would want to change them back. I slightly enlarged the opening in the outer headlight bucket so the lighting unit and "projector lens" would fit thru from behind. I filled in any un needed holes in the outer bucket and primed the part as it will be visible when I am done. I will probably paint it body color or possibly silver. Then I cut out the back of the rear headlight bucket (the black part that screws to fender) so the rest of the light assembly would fit through it. I was careful when I cut this out so I could weld it back on if I need to change back to regular headlights. The lighting unit will be attatched to the front headlamp bucket(the primed part) from behind with a panel bonding adhesive. BMW and Mercedes use panel bonding on alot of ther repairs and their "glue" is very strong and durable. This will allow for some headlight adjustment. Then I attatched the front and rear buckets using the exsisting adjustment screws and spring.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
Atommik

To protect the back of the unit from dirt and water I made an extended headlamp bucket from aluminum flashing formed into a tube. This will be bonded to the back of the original bucket. The bulb, socket and "igniter" parts will be in here as well. I'll put a removable cap on the back for bulb access. If you are planning to really lay your truck out flat on the ground, there could be some clearance problems with the extended bucket. For the headlight lens, I cut a piece of clear Lexan to fit just inside the chrome ring that held the original headlamp in place. The silver control module will mount on the inner fender. The power will first go through a relay and then into the module. I will make gaskets to fit between parts to ensure that moisture will be sealed out. BE VERY CAUTIOUS WHEN POWERING THE HEADLAMPS!! The control module really bumps up the voltage and you can be seriously hurt if you get "ZAPPED"!!!

Depending on the type of donor headlamp you use, the modifications will be slightly differnet, but over all be basically the same.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #20
Atommik

Here's a few pics of my restored heater. Thought about leaving it out, but I plan on driving this truck as much as possible ...living in Minnesota I'll need some heat in September and October!! Plus it looks kinda cool hanging under the dash!!
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #21
oldman3

You've been doing some good repair work on the fenders, doors, etc. Headlight deal is great. Keep posting up the build....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #22
Atommik

Cleaned up and refinished the vent window frame for the right door. Finished bodywork and priming/ blocking on right door and brought it home for storage. Will be taking the left door into work to start on it this week.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #23
RootBeer 6117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atommik View Post
Here's a few pics of my restored heater. Thought about leaving it out, but I plan on driving this truck as much as possible ...living in Minnesota I'll need some heat in September and October!! Plus it looks kinda cool hanging under the dash!!
you just answered a question I had,I found that emblem in a box of parts in my truck when I got it and couldn't figure out what it was from or were it went, now I know.
RootBeer 6117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #24
Atommik

RootBeer 6117, Glad I could "help"...

Took a few pics of the right door. I couldn't resist putting it on the cab to see how my home made rust repair panels fit up. Considering I don't have the door bolted in place, (just kind of hangin there) looks like the contour is right on!
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
Atommik

Here's what's next...left door rust repair.

Empty cabs make fine storage ares too...
Attached Images