The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
GFY

Where is the best place to sell my 53?

I'm going to put my truck on the market when it's done (and it's pretty close). Build the other barn find I bought.
Where is the best place? I'm willing and able to pay to put it on this message board "for sale" site. Does it get a lot of eyes?
Any other suggestions? Ebay and craigslist are always options, but I feel like it's tough to get quality "eyes" on those sites. Too many scams, etc. Or maybe I'm just cynical.
Thoughts?
Attached Images

GFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Where is the best place to sell my 53?

That's a hard call. I think I would get it to the ready to load on the trailer point where you can actually have it rolled out in front of the garage when someone shows up to look at it ready to load it then and there and then put it on craigslist and Facebook for about 30% more than you HAVE TO HAVE out of it. That lets the prospective buyer bargain a bit If they are serious and have cash and the trailer behind the truck. When they show up with the truck and trailer you know that they are ready to do business, when they show up with the wife and kids in the family suv they are just out looking.

On Ebay you might reach a bigger market but be prepared to deal with shipping same as on here.

If you have a clear correct title that matches numbers on the truck that is in your name state that up front. That is becoming a real issue and is a good selling point. Clear title and current tags and registration make it a lot easier to transfer in some states. It usually isn't hard to transfer title on a currently registered out of state rig in this state but can be a pain in the butt on a rig with expired tags or no tags. Clear no opt title would mean a lot on a non runner in Cali. Kept the tags up and never went non opt might mean extra value to some.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
vintovka

Fb?
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

I wonder what moderators will think of this thinly-veiled classified ad complete with photo?
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:33 AM   #5
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY View Post
I'm going to put my truck on the market when it's done (and it's pretty close). Build the other barn find I bought.
Where is the best place? I'm willing and able to pay to put it on this message board "for sale" site. Does it get a lot of eyes?
Any other suggestions? Ebay and craigslist are always options, but I feel like it's tough to get quality "eyes" on those sites. Too many scams, etc. Or maybe I'm just cynical.
Thoughts?
I wish I had favorable news as to selling on EBAY, but I don't, but I have known people that have sold many a car and truck on HOTRODHOTLINE. I personally don't have any experience with that, but I have been told it's a great place to sell. Also, any hot rod or nostalgic auto consignment dealers near you that you can take your truck to?? How about CLASSIC.AUTOTRADER for another choice. If you can take it to a place that you can consign with, I think that's an option to consider.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:04 AM   #6
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That's a hard call. I think I would get it to the ready to load on the trailer point where you can actually have it rolled out in front of the garage when someone shows up to look at it ready to load it then and there and then put it on craigslist and Facebook for about 30% more than you HAVE TO HAVE out of it. That lets the prospective buyer bargain a bit If they are serious and have cash and the trailer behind the truck. When they show up with the truck and trailer you know that they are ready to do business, when they show up with the wife and kids in the family suv they are just out looking.

On Ebay you might reach a bigger market but be prepared to deal with shipping same as on here.

If you have a clear correct title that matches numbers on the truck that is in your name state that up front. That is becoming a real issue and is a good selling point. Clear title and current tags and registration make it a lot easier to transfer in some states. It usually isn't hard to transfer title on a currently registered out of state rig in this state but can be a pain in the butt on a rig with expired tags or no tags. Clear no opt title would mean a lot on a non runner in Cali. Kept the tags up and never went non opt might mean extra value to some.
Excellent info, and food for thought. I wondered about eBay (because of shipping costs, eBay fees, etc). Didn't think about Facebook. I will give these a try - when the truck is ready!
Thank you very much for the well thought out answer!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 AM   #7
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
I wish I had favorable news as to selling on EBAY, but I don't, but I have known people that have sold many a car and truck on HOTRODHOTLINE. I personally don't have any experience with that, but I have been told it's a great place to sell. Also, any hot rod or nostalgic auto consignment dealers near you that you can take your truck to?? How about CLASSIC.AUTOTRADER for another choice. If you can take it to a place that you can consign with, I think that's an option to consider.
I didn't know about any of these online places. Great info! There are some consignment shops in the San Jose/Bay Area also, so that's an option.
Thank you!
Old 12-14-2018, 02:07 AM   #8
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
I wonder what moderators will think of this thinly-veiled classified ad complete with photo?
LOL. Pic of it in the barn where I found it, and it's not done/ready to sell yet. I am ready and willing to pay to put an ad on this site. Just wanted to get information from experienced sellers and buyers. Wonder what you would say if I posted the info on the truck and asked what I should ask for it... because that's coming next! Thanks for looking!
Old 12-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #9
b-mac

https://bringatrailer.com/
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #10
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
Thank you! Interesting place with lots of activity.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #11
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY View Post
Wonder what you would say if I posted the info on the truck and asked what I should ask for it... because that's coming next!
the mods would ask you to buy a membership, which is a great value, but its required for posting for sale, wanted to buy, and yes even WIW (whats it worth) threads.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #12
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
the mods would ask you to buy a membership, which is a great value, but its required for posting for sale, wanted to buy, and yes even WIW (whats it worth) threads.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #13
GFY

Just bought a membership. When it's official, I'll post a WIW thread.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
65blackfleetside

I have recently had good luck with Ebay. I think you get the biggest national audience there. Post lots of pictures. Start and end the Auction on Sunday evening 9 PM ish. make Auction go 7 days. make your starting bid low but have a reserve.
Fees are relatively still low on ebay for selling automobiles. I think I paid $200 for my 66 convertible mustang that sold for $26,500 10 months ago.

However;Selling anything else on ebay has gotten too expensive.

If possible put your money into upgrades that will be more appealing to a wider customer base. This is best practices too when selling real estate.

Good Luck.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #15
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65blackfleetside View Post
I have recently had good luck with Ebay. I think you get the biggest national audience there. Post lots of pictures. Start and end the Auction on Sunday evening 9 PM ish. make Auction go 7 days. make your starting bid low but have a reserve.
Fees are relatively still low on ebay for selling automobiles. I think I paid $200 for my 66 convertible mustang that sold for $26,500 10 months ago.

However;Selling anything else on ebay has gotten too expensive.

If possible put your money into upgrades that will be more appealing to a wider customer base. This is best practices too when selling real estate.

Good Luck.
Great info! I assumed the standard eBay ~10% cost would be involved. That makes eBay a lot more interesting to use for selling the truck. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
mr48chev

Well now that you are a premium member the truck can be officially for sale on here.

To get the best buck out of it presentation is everything no matter where you advertise it though.
That means;
High quality well lit photos showing all aspects of the truck.

Clear views of the truck with no junk or clutter in the background or in front of the truck.
No people in the photos no matter how hot you think your girlfriend is or how great you look in your tank top.

Clean the trash and garbage out and clean it up before taking the photos, no one wants to see your old McDonalds bag on the floor of the truck.

If there are extra parts that go with it display the and take good quality photos to show that. Showing that you have all the parts that you say you do and that they are in the shape you say they are means a lot of difference to the guy or gal who might hook onto the trailer and drive several hundred miles to get it.

Every one of those items comes from seeing an add that didn't do it's best to sell the item.
I don't have the photos on this computer but back 16 years ago when I had bailed out of cars and trucks for a while and was really wanting a sailboat I saw one on Ebay that was the size I wanted and was close enough to be able to go get it. It was on Ebay with a no reserve and the three or four photos were terrible photos taken in poor light. I bid a very low bid and if I got it I got it and if I didn't I didn't. Ended up having the winning bid and when my son and I drove over to measure it to build a trailer for it and check it out it had more value in the extra items that came with it than I what I had paid including a 4-1/2 hp motor that still runs great. I had to pay for about 4 months storage while I got the trailer ready and that cost as much as the boat did.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #17
mikebte

I personally like the BAT. They have slacked a little this year compared to years past, but makes for an easy sell.

https://bringatrailer.com/
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Well now that you are a premium member the truck can be officially for sale on here.

To get the best buck out of it presentation is everything no matter where you advertise it though.
That means;
High quality well lit photos showing all aspects of the truck.

Clear views of the truck with no junk or clutter in the background or in front of the truck.
No people in the photos no matter how hot you think your girlfriend is or how great you look in your tank top.

Clean the trash and garbage out and clean it up before taking the photos, no one wants to see your old McDonalds bag on the floor of the truck.

If there are extra parts that go with it display the and take good quality photos to show that. Showing that you have all the parts that you say you do and that they are in the shape you say they are means a lot of difference to the guy or gal who might hook onto the trailer and drive several hundred miles to get it.

Every one of those items comes from seeing an add that didn't do it's best to sell the item.
I don't have the photos on this computer but back 16 years ago when I had bailed out of cars and trucks for a while and was really wanting a sailboat I saw one on Ebay that was the size I wanted and was close enough to be able to go get it. It was on Ebay with a no reserve and the three or four photos were terrible photos taken in poor light. I bid a very low bid and if I got it I got it and if I didn't I didn't. Ended up having the winning bid and when my son and I drove over to measure it to build a trailer for it and check it out it had more value in the extra items that came with it than I what I had paid including a 4-1/2 hp motor that still runs great. I had to pay for about 4 months storage while I got the trailer ready and that cost as much as the boat did.
Great info! Thank you!
Old 12-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #19
Russell Ashley

It looks like it was built on a short bed S10 frame which I think might hurt your sale price some. People here on the forum will notice that but people who are less familiar with AD trucks might not. I think if it were me I'd start with Craigs List and see how it goes.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #20
GFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
It looks like it was built on a short bed S10 frame which I think might hurt your sale price some. People here on the forum will notice that but people who are less familiar with AD trucks might not. I think if it were me I'd start with Craigs List and see how it goes.
It's a stock frame. Modified for IFC front clip and lift bed. It's actually very nice, and surprisingly well done. Someone will want it