The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
rwdmayhem

Brake flaring

I have a 95 chevy K1500 short box and being a MN truck it has a good chunk of rust on the frame and brake lines. Is there a decent brake flaring tool between $30 and 50 bucks that does double flares on like stainless steel lines? not braided SS just regular stainless steel line.
rwdmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Muney

Re: Brake flaring

unfortunately it seems there are either really cheap kits or really expensive ones. I just went through this with my 454ss all the cheap kits cant handle the Stainless, so your stuck either buying a expensive kit or maybe see if you can rent/borrow one from the local parts store.
Muney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #3
rwdmayhem

well the autozone double flare tool kit couldn't even do a single flare on my 97 camaro's rear brake line so I doubt it'll do stainless without scraping the heck out of it. So whats the least expensive brake flare that'll do stainless?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Cape Codder

Have you considered using the copper nickel brake lines. They don't rust and are easier to work than the steel lines.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
abig84

ive been the brake line guy at every mechanical job ive ever had as no one likes to do them, i always enjoyed doing them for some reason. and all the cheap kits just suck, for some reason when your tightening the tool always wants to go sideways and make a ugly flare

even using some of the snap on ones it still takes a while to get used to. i finally broke down and bought one of these

amazing tool that goes in your vise, you can literally make factory perfect flares in like 5 seconds once you get the hang of it. they go for around $200 which is not practical for someone whos going to do brake lines once every 10 years

my best advice is just pick up any old cheap flare kit and just practice on a few lines before doing the one you want to do
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Have you considered using the copper nickel brake lines. They don't rust and are easier to work than the steel lines.
X2

Most parts stores carry the copper nickle stuff now. VERY easy to work with!

I picked up a Craftsman flaring tool and it has served me well for the past 10 years. It has been used 40 times at least although I've never used it on stainless.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
rwdmayhem

well it still has to atleast do the factory rear steel line on my camaro. I'm not entirely sure about replumping all the brake lines on my first race car build. I guess I could order some aluminum or copper nickel lines for the truck. I do plan on doing brakes for quite a few of my project vehicles so it might be worth it to buy a decent flaring tool.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:26 AM   #8
Mr_Rich

I think you can buy a pretty good flaring tool for less than $100. Mine is not as nice as the one pictured above, but I've had good luck flaring SS lines up to 3/8". My hands were a little sore afterwards due to the pressure needed to work SS lines vs. steel lines. I can't remember where I got my tool but it didn't come from Harbor Freight.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
Cape Codder

I bought a hand old school flaring tool about 30 years ago and is the only one I have ever used. It is not a cheap china knockoff but wasn't expensive either. I have flared stainless with it but only once. I do an average of 3 or 4 brake line jobs a year so it serves me fine. Not as quick as the newer tools but just as effective.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdmayhem View Post
well it still has to atleast do the factory rear steel line on my camaro. I'm not entirely sure about replumping all the brake lines on my first race car build. I guess I could order some aluminum or copper nickel lines for the truck. I do plan on doing brakes for quite a few of my project vehicles so it might be worth it to buy a decent flaring tool.
check around to see if they sell all pre-made lines for your vehicle. one of the worst trucks to do brake lines on are those chevys where they have the abs module under the drivers seat just due to the way they are run. and i just found out they actually sell pre bent kits which might actually save a lot of time
Old 04-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #11
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
check around to see if they sell all pre-made lines for your vehicle. one of the worst trucks to do brake lines on are those chevys where they have the abs module under the drivers seat just due to the way they are run. and i just found out they actually sell pre bent kits which might actually save a lot of time
Those kits are cheap, but they take me about 4 hours to do. I usually do one a month. They aren't too bad once you do a few dozen.

Stainless line is hard. I used a cheep flare tool for years, and it worked great. It would do stainless, but it was a little harder. I have since upgraded to the mastertool hydraulic flare tool. I personally prefer coated steel brake line. It will never rust, and in comes in straight lengths instead of a roll, and its easy to bend. All I buy is 6ft pieces.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
rwdmayhem

Quote:
I'm getting rid of the ABS on my vehicles. so pre made brake lines won't work with or fit a proportioning valve.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
Those kits are cheap, but they take me about 4 hours to do. I usually do one a month. They aren't too bad once you do a few dozen.

Stainless line is hard. I used a cheep flare tool for years, and it worked great. It would do stainless, but it was a little harder. I have since upgraded to the mastertool hydraulic flare tool. I personally prefer coated steel brake line. It will never rust, and in comes in straight lengths instead of a roll, and its easy to bend. All I buy is 6ft pieces.
you would think by now they would start making cars with stainless lines from the factory its getting a little ridiculous doing brake lines on 7-8 year old cars and trucks.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
you would think by now they would start making cars with stainless lines from the factory its getting a little ridiculous doing brake lines on 7-8 year old cars and trucks.
Every car made in the last 10 years has had coated lines. Brake line repairs will become a thing of the past in the future.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #15
rwdmayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
Every car made in the last 10 years has had coated lines. Brake line repairs will become a thing of the past in the future.
It sure will if everyone gives up on the vehicles that don't have coated lines. But I doubt that'll happen. Ever...
Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
damnyankee36

Quote:

After struggling with cheap flaring tools I also went with this tool. Excellent investment! I even bought the 37 degree dies for AN fittings.

I've discovered that the pain of buying an expensive tool is long forgotten after I realize the ease of using it just a few times.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote