The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Old Route 66

My wife and I have been planning to do the old Route 66 drive from Chicago to Santa Monica once I fully retire and... have the old truck up to the challenge.
My question is: Have any members taken their truck on that tour and what is the best time of year to go? We would drive from Edmonton AB to Chicago to start then Santa Monica back to Edmonton. Google maps says 5800 mi +or- 90 hrs. lol
If more of a general topic, Admin please move to proper discussion.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
supercheyenne

Re: Old Route 66

I'd recommend fall.

1) Winter is out for sure.
2) Summer gets over 100°.
3) The central states can be tornadic during the Spring. (also Hail)
4) So that leaves us with late summer/fall. It can snow as early as October so don't plan it too late.

OTOH... power tour usually runs in June. So maybe they're smarter than me.
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercheyenne View Post
I'd recommend fall.

1) Winter is out for sure.
2) Summer gets over 100°.
3) The central states can be tornadic during the Spring. (also Hail)
4) So that leaves us with late summer/fall. It can snow as early as October so don't plan it too late.

OTOH... power tour usually runs in June. So maybe they're smarter than me.
Thats what I was thinking. Need to be home by 1st week of Oct due to the chance of bad weather at home.
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Keep in mind a lot if the original route doesn't exist any more. Corner of KS to AZ is the best I have seen of what is left. There are a few books you should check out before making the trip. My wife and I jumped into it blind and missed a lot of things we found out afterwards. I can get you some titles if you need it.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
thehata1

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
Keep in mind a lot if the original route doesn't exist any more. Corner of KS to AZ is the best I have seen of what is left. There are a few books you should check out before making the trip. My wife and I jumped into it blind and missed a lot of things we found out afterwards. I can get you some titles if you need it.
Hook us up with some titles. I'd love to do the routes, as well.
thehata1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #6
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehata1 View Post
Hook us up with some titles. I'd love to do the routes, as well.
Yes please. Also would love to meet any members along the way.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #7
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Me and wife done Route 66 over a few trips all the way. We always went in late June, July once in mid Oct. We had to work around her school breaks (teacher). We drove out from tennessee and we used the EZ66 guide it was wonderful tells you turn by turn how to follow the orginal route. There is still alot to see allow yourself time to see and enjoy I wish I would have took longer but we both work and had limited time. Did meet alot of nice people, we also did the Grand Canyon, Four Corners , when we did the all the way to California trip. Be prepared for Los Angles it took us around 4hr. to get to Santa Monica from the start of the city area, and about the same to get back out on city streets the interstates were not moving lol. We got to meet Jerry the author of the guide book in his home in Oaklahoma very nice guy he likes to meet travelers. The midpoint diner in Texas was a good stop too, many others. We are route 66 freaks lol I have a whole wall in our house dedicated to it. Oaklahoma was the hottest area we passed through it was 100+ out west but not humid like we're used to here so it's wasn't bad. The long miles between towns out west was something that worried me some but all was ok. The same guy that writes to book has an website for updates , https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...rvrSNETnhDQ8o_Enjoy!

Link to book, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...tNWr-1Y_eos5G1

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #8
Chevyland

I’ve done a few road trips like you are thinking of doing
Definitely go for it
They were some of my best vacations ever
I too have been thinking of Route 66
I picked these up at the bookstore a while back to start studying

One thing I have found on my trips, is the unknown is sometimes much more fun than knowing where you will start and stop each and every day.
When my son and I did this trip in the link below.
We never hardly knew where we would be in the next couple of days.
I bought an AAA card with 300 Miles towing.
Best money ever spent, for piece of mind.
With that card and a cell phone, it hardly matters if you break down.

By far, this was the best vacation I have ever had

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=717185
Attached Images

Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #9
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubscrub View Post
Me and wife done Route 66 over a few trips all the way. We always went in late June, July once in mid Oct. We had to work around her school breaks (teacher). We drove out from tennessee and we used the EZ66 guide it was wonderful tells you turn by turn how to follow the orginal route. There is still alot to see allow yourself time to see and enjoy I wish I would have took longer but we both work and had limited time. Did meet alot of nice people, we also did the Grand Canyon, Four Corners , when we did the all the way to California trip. Be prepared for Los Angles it took us around 4hr. to get to Santa Monica from the start of the city area, and about the same to get back out on city streets the interstates were not moving lol. We got to meet Jerry the author of the guide book in his home in Oaklahoma very nice guy he likes to meet travelers. The midpoint diner in Texas was a good stop too, many others. We are route 66 freaks lol I have a whole wall in our house dedicated to it. Oaklahoma was the hottest area we passed through it was 100+ out west but not humid like we're used to here so it's wasn't bad. The long miles between towns out west was something that worried me some but all was ok. The same guy that writes to book has an website for updates , https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...rvrSNETnhDQ8o_Enjoy!

Link to book, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...tNWr-1Y_eos5G1
Thanks for the links. Lots of reading up to do. Hope to take at least a month to do the round trip.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #10
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
I’ve done a few road trips like you are thinking of doing
Definitely go for it
They were some of my best vacations ever
I too have been thinking of Route 66
I picked these up at the bookstore a while back to start studying

One thing I have found on my trips, is the unknown is sometimes much more fun than knowing where you will start and stop each and every day.
When my son and I did this trip in the link below.
We never hardly knew where we would be in the next couple of days.
I bought an AAA card with 300 Miles towing.
Best money ever spent, for piece of mind.
With that card and a cell phone, it hardly matters if you break down.

By far, this was the best vacation I have ever had

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=717185
Thanks Chevyland, Most of our vacations are seat of the pants, lets see where this road goes. Great heads up on the AAA card.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #11
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Here are some that we used. Probably all available on ebay. Let me know if you have any questions. Last 2 books were helpful.
Attached Images

70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Late spring/early summer is best, if you ask me. Like May/June

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:52 AM   #13
mike16

sounds like a road trip! I got 10 bucks for beer.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #14
sick472

Side note: I bought my 72 truck from "Route 66 Motors" near Rolla, Mo. back in '95. The Missouri part of the route is right along I-44 and unless the original route uses outerbelts and older roads, it won't really be that scenic until you get off the interstate and check out some of the touristy places. With that said, I have lived in Missouri all my life and the scenic views from the interstate are embedded in my head as regular ole' stuff.

Get off the beaten path and check out some caves, state parks (Missouri parks are some of the best), lakes and streams.

Enjoy your trip!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #15
jocko

I’d have to agree with Tim on the late spring/early summer timing. Keep in mind that “Fall” in the southwest can still be well over 100 deg in AZ and Eastern CA desert (have only been broken down on the side of the road twice in my life, and both times, 4 years apart, was in Needles, CA..). It’s kind of a trade off - fall colors in the Midwest or cooler weather in the SW. Tough call, either way will be a blast.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #16
palallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Side note: I bought my 72 truck from "Route 66 Motors" near Rolla, Mo. back in '95. The Missouri part of the route is right along I-44 and unless the original route uses outerbelts and older roads, it won't really be that scenic until you get off the interstate and check out some of the touristy places. With that said, I have lived in Missouri all my life and the scenic views from the interstate are embedded in my head as regular ole' stuff.

Get off the beaten path and check out some caves, state parks (Missouri parks are some of the best), lakes and streams.

Enjoy your trip!
I drive part of this route to work every day.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #17
davischevy

Keep us posted on this. I would be up for a Rt 66 trip.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #18
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckvetter View Post
Yes please. Also would love to meet any members along the way.
I live right off route 66 in Albuquerque. Basically its central ave. over here. the mayor just added a major center bus route right along the middle of central and now the city doesnt have the funds to get it running! lol
so expect orange cones over here. also I too recommend the route 66 books. there ALOT to visit ol school wise
if you come this far down, give me a hollar

Last edited by michael bustamante; 03-07-2018 at 01:43 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #19
718jwh

I did RT 66 on my Harley back in 2004 early summer no weather problems, It was a trip put on by Harley Owners Group and was also attended by famous RT 66 author Michael Wallis he was a great source for places to see. I would check out some of his books. We stayed true to the road as much as possible and it was an epic trip one I would love to do again. I live near Chicago so look me up when you go.
John
718jwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #20
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

There's a route 66 museum in IIRC Clinton (or close) Ok. It's got some classic cars and a lot of the machinery that was used to build the road. Good place to stretch your legs. There's a section thru Amarillo Tx that follows NE 8th. Just keep moving (it may be better now but used to be pretty rough) I moved away 15 years ago. Part of it also goes down 6th street and can be a fun area to visit. Lots of little shops (antique and vintage clothing etc.) and food places with unique pub food. Just outside of Amarillo is the Cadillac Ranch. There's some signs and stuff around town that the same guy did. He considered himself an artist, I'll leave that open to interpretation.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #21
Popcorn W

Funny that I saw this today. I just watched a show about Rt 66.
If you have Viceland on cable, there's a show called Abandoned where they visit places that time has forgotten. Real interesting story. Anyway, today they did a ride on 66 and I was really surprised to find it's kind of a dead zone today. You might be able to view the show on-demand online, not sure.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6195446/
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659205
"I love the smell of grinding metal"
Popcorn W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #22
Yooper truck

I bought my truck in the Los Angeles area in 2009 and drove it home to Michigan via Rt. 66. I used EZ 66 Guide for Travelers, ISBN #978-0-9709951-6-2, as my primary resource.

One thing I would like to add is there are some sections, in the middle of the Mojave desert comes to mind, that are so rough that I thought the truck would rattle apart. It wasn't worth a breakdown so I drove the interstate when it ran next to Rt. 66.

It is worth the drive and will create memories you will enjoy for many years.

Last edited by Yooper truck; 03-10-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Link to photo didn't work
Yooper truck is offline   Reply With Quote