The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 PM   #1
CousinTone

Have you welded the seams of a 64 hood? I could use some advice please.

Hi all, I am finally starting on my 64 LWB Fleetside after about 3 years of reading and learning on this forum. I've also met many very nice people and not even a hint of anyone who's not willing to go above and beyond to help as I've built up my stash of parts.

So, as I mention in the title, this is about the hood seams. IMHO, it is a bit unsightly and I'd like to give it a face lift. I'd like to get it filled in some manner, that will create a smooth and updated look. My build will be mostly stock, frame on, updating (restoration is not a correct description) of the mechanicals, suspension and interior. It's a one owner, unfortunately it was a owned by a painter. I am looking at the hood and this seam is bugging me. Can anyone who's done this let me know what worked and what didn't? Is there a preferred method(e.g. welding, seam adhesive with patience and sanding or straight filler and blocking)? Does anyone have any pics of their seam fill process or finished hood with a clear close up look at the finished seam. Thanks in advance for your help and comments. Tony V in the OC.
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
LT1 Burb

Re: Have you welded the seams of a 64 hood? I could use some advice please.

If you want it to last you need to weld it or lead it. If it was me I would learn how to lead and use that method, less heat and easier to work with.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
hewittca

I know that 67cheby welded up the seams on his truck. He starts the process for the bed on post #422 on this page. He starts the hood and fenders on post #764 here. He did an incredible amount of metal work on this truck and it looked amazing.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
CousinTone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
If you want it to last you need to weld it or lead it. If it was me I would learn how to lead and use that method, less heat and easier to work with.
Thanks for your answer. I was thinking of lead. My Dad always said dents and body work should be repaired in lead. He was obviously not in the "Bondo" generation. Good thing here is I've got 2 hoods, one that is pretty straight that i just picked up for a few bucks the hood that came with the truck that has a big dent in both top and bottom of both top and bottom of the hood up front. I can practice the my lead skills on that. I"m guessing take it apart and really get it clean and then start some dabbing and heating then flattening.

I"ll give it a try and let you know. I'm also going to look at the other members truck that looks great mentioned in the second reply.

Thanks very much LT1Burb......
Old 03-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
CousinTone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I know that 67cheby welded up the seams on his truck. He starts the process for the bed on post #422 on this page. He starts the hood and fenders on post #764 here. He did an incredible amount of metal work on this truck and it looked amazing.
hewittca - thanks for the info. I'll check out his build and truck. I appreciate your taking the time to help me get this project going. Tony
Old 03-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #6
LVPhotos

Goto my build page#1 for weld, #2 for finished and ready for paint. Mig welded with gas, low heat, low speed tact welded. Move around as not to build heat.
Attached Images

LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
CousinTone

LVPhotos, thank you for the pic and direction. Dude, you have mad skills. That looks great, off the press at the factory great.

I have ability to weld, but i'm a novice and am not afraid to say it!

Confirming your process, simple spot welds, spaced out to avoid any heat build up in one space, back and forth till the seam is full of spots and then use what (?) grit to take the initial weld down and then move to 40, 80? I forgot to mention prep, all clean and spotless prior to starting. My final sand prior to prime should be at what grit, 150? I've got all the girts and tools, just need to learn how to use them.

Being a welding amature.....only successful project so far was table with corner stock. I'm thinking i need to reduce to a .23 or .25 solid with a gas shield. My current bottle is 25% C02 75%Ar and have the shield coming out slowly, around a 5. Is all that correct? I'll start a string and show everyone my progress and hopefully I can provide some support to the forum that has provided so much to me for a long time Thanks very much for your time,

Tony V in the OC
Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
LVPhotos

Prep with wire wheel get a clean seam. A fine wheel works. I use flap wheels 80 grit is good. You can over heat area with flap wheel just keep it moving. My paint guy likes 80 grit finish to finish putty. I did have to help panel alignment from edges. Take time, weld grind cool repeat. If you can't touch, its time move. Paint stripper for rest of hood
Old 03-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #9
LVPhotos

It took around a week. You can work area let it cool, grind down, move area, repeat. Heat is bad. Try wire, .25 is good just don't build up too much.