The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
62lwbc10

Rear fender welt 58 TF

Anybody have any suggestions on the best fender welt to use when installing the rear fenders on the bedsides on a 58 task force? Thanks a lot in advance
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: Rear fender welt 58 TF

IMO, none, although I guess I can see it for a "serious" restoration. I brushed on a thin layer of Eastwood seam sealer on the fender flange so there would be a flexible cushion for the paint and bolts and it worked well. BUT, I'm more of a hot rodder than restorer and I didn't want the look of welt on my paint.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
62lwbc10

Hey thanks for the reply speedbump. I'm with you I don't like the look of welt and that's why I was asking the question. My truck is a full bore Nut and bolt restoration with incredible paint so I don't want to fool around with the welt if I don't have to. On the other hand of course I'm sensitive about protecting the paint . Looking forward to seeing what other folks have to say
Old 04-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
1project2many

TF trucks didn't come with welt on the rear fenders. I opted to use black welt on mine to help break things up visually.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

I will be at this point VERY soon. I've been wondering what to do.

"They never came with welt" ought to be enough, BUT these trucks were working tools in those days. NO thought was given to them ever being anything else (okay, maybe for the Cameos they did but the welt didn't apply to their beds anyway). So I'm thinking they WOULD have put welt if they gave a damn. They used welt on cars only a few years earlier.

- On one hand no welt will allow paint-to-paint contact which will EVENTUALLY rub-through to metal allowing rust to form, I suppose.

- On the other hand welt is a place for moisture to accumulate eventually causing rust - but I NEVER plan to take my truck to a carwash or just turn a hose on it anyway.

Maybe we should post a poll thread?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
1project2many

Quote:
- On one hand no welt will allow paint-to-paint contact which will EVENTUALLY rub-through to metal allowing rust to form, I suppose.
This is another important consideration.

Quote:
- On the other hand welt is a place for moisture to accumulate eventually causing rust -
My truck was finished in '98. It parks in a barn with a dirt floor. There is no rust forming around the welt. Maybe in another 10 years?
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
62lwbc10

If I recall correctly when I took my original fenders off the bedsides there was not a welt but there was some kind of thin tarpaper like material in between the fender and the bedside
Old 04-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
_Ogre

no tf trucks did not have welt from the factory, but that's no reason not to use it

my truck still has all the original metal on it there were thin gaps between each fender bolt
i used 1/4'' wide 3m tape to stick the welt to the fender and then just bolted the fender in place
using this method i was able to wrap the welt around onto the step without a problem
fyi: you are looking at the spare tire cutout with bedliner on the underside

we built the complete bed prior to installing it on truk, worked out fine

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #9
Coupeguy2001

you can always mount the rear fenders with a couple of bolts, outline the fenders with blue masking tape, remove the fenders and install some black RTV sealant where the fenders go, Install the fenders and then remove the masking tape with the sealant on it, and have some rust protection for a very long time.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote