The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
59chevy310p

57 GMC headlight and running light issue

Has anyone had issues like this I can pull the headlight switch out and the running light will work but then I pull it all the way out so the headlights turn on only the front running lights will turn off and the headlights will turn on and rear running lights will work. Does anyone know why or is this a factory that it does this.

Thanks for your time guys.
59chevy310p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
MIKESAD50

Re: 57 GMC headlight and running light issue

What switch are you using?
I purchased a replacement switch from a major vendor and it does the same thing and I they said it was the way it was designed.

I hooked front and rear to the taillight terminal so all are on at both switch positions
Old 05-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 View Post
What switch are you using?
I purchased a replacement switch from a major vendor and it does the same thing and I they said it was the way it was designed.

I hooked front and rear to the taillight terminal so all are on at both switch positions
Ditto. I guess back in the day the front lights didn't come on with the switch all the way out. I just put a jumper on mine.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
dsraven

have you checked the connections on the switch to ensure they are connected in the proper place (things happen over the years) and power is NOT coming through with h/l on? possible ground issue on the rad support where both circuits have a common ground? maybe the fuse/connections in the switch are toast right out of the box? front marker lights SHOULD come on with the headlights but not sure how that year of truck was wired back in the day.

I know the switches have built in fuses etc but have you thought about installing a couple of relays to run the different light circuits? that way the headlights and front and rear circuits can run independently of each other on different fused circuits and the draw will be less on the headlight switch. a good idea if you have a trailer plug as well just in case of a bad trailer circuit.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Back in the day the front "running lights" were actually called "park lights" and they were only on when the headlights were off.

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
59chevy310p

Hey everyone so they are just park lights and they only come on when you pull the headlight switch one pull so everything is working correctly it a the stock switch but I do like learning new things like this but I also found out that standard company makes a switch that look like the stock one and make it so the "park lights" come on when the headlights are on I ordered it today it should be in tomorrow I'll take a picture and show you guys tomorrow. I really like this forum because everyone is so helpful. Thanks guys keep on trucking huge swap meet this weekend in my town thank God the wife is working because I'm gonna get in trouble lol
59chevy310p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #7
MIKESAD50

Would like to see that switch, install the same as factory? Part number?
Thanks
Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
Coupeguy2001

The front "marker lights" are the parking lights, but they were used for events like going to a drive in theater, and not disturbing the moviegoers with your headlights on.
In 1963, it was determined that the turn signals could double as "marker lights, and the parking lights were turned on with the headlights.

If you want this for your early truck, there is a spare terminal on the headlight switch for the tail lights. Since that same switch was used for big trucks' marker lights.
Just move the parking light wire to the aux tail light terminal, and they will be on whenever the tail lights are powered, IE, anytime the headlight switch is on in any position.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 05-24-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote