The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #151
ochre1971

Re: 1972 Blazer CST Frame off Project in NC

Looking great! Keep the pics coming.
ochre1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #152
72K5CSTDarkOlive

Speaking of firewall and applying a dynamat product - has anyone that done it have any tips? Any areas I should avoid or advice? I wasn't sure if I did everything that all parts would go back in ok - like the brake pedal assembly, e brake assembly, etc.[/QUOTE]

Trucks looking great!

I used a similar product "Second Skin". Here are the install steps they have on their website.

Make sure to clean the metal with denatured alcohol. If you use a degreaser you will need to clean the film left behind off with soapy water and then wipe down the surface with denatured alcohol for best adhesion.

Trace out the area you are applying the product to with cardboard or paper and then transfer that to the butyl Damplifier sheets to cut out a perfectly fitting piece (or freehand it).

Place the piece in the desired location with wax paper still on the butyl sheet to make sure it will fit, as the butyl is very sticky and once the wax paper is removed it will adhere to surfaces for a permanent bond.

Now, remove the wax paper and place the butyl sheet down upon the surface, working your way from one side to the other or from the center out to the edges.

Once placed down, take your wooden hand roller and push the butyl sheet to the metal to form a nice bond over the entire sheet. If you have a concave, groove, and/or ridges you want to work the product down and up those valleys with the wooden roller or the back side of the wooden roller for the smaller dips.

72K5CSTDarkOlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 AM   #153
UGAK5

Thanks Mike - and let me say how happy I am that you are about 30 days ahead of me.......As usual, I will be stealing from your build!

Those instructions sure help - - but another concern I have is where to place the dynamat stuff on the firewall, meaning if I cover everything and then cut out for the openings, will all the brackets and parts fit back in properly? My sound and heat dampner is called Membrane and is two butyl layers combined about 5 mm thick, so I could see if making the ebrake assembly not fit, for example.

I want to coverage as much as possible, and I am sure other guys have done this as I have seen their build pics, but not sure if they had regrets later. And this stuff is impossible to get off!
UGAK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #154
72K5CSTDarkOlive

I applied the stuff all the way up to the top of the firewall. For the pedals and steering column, I just went around them.

I tried to use a replacement firewall pad and, I don't know if it was just the one I got, (maybe there's more than one manufacturer?) but it was POS so it went in the trash

72K5CSTDarkOlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #155
UGAK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive View Post
I applied the stuff all the way up to the top of the firewall. For the pedals and steering column, I just went around them.
Yeah, I was aiming for putting it all over the firewall, then putting everything back in. Sounds like you put some things in, then did the second skin.

Ive seen lots of pics on the forum where guys did was I was thinking - but never hear if they had issues - guess I'll find out!
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #156
1972CST

Great progress and attention to detail is second to none!

I noticed you used aftermarket doors on your build, do you mind sharing what brand or where you purchased them and how the fitment turned out?

I am battling between reworking my rusted out original doors and sourcing replacement doors.

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work, its definitely motivation for me!
1972CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:48 AM   #157
UGAK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CST View Post
Great progress and attention to detail is second to none!

I noticed you used aftermarket doors on your build, do you mind sharing what brand or where you purchased them and how the fitment turned out?

I am battling between reworking my rusted out original doors and sourcing replacement doors.

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work, its definitely motivation for me!
Thanks man!

I struggled with that too. I did my research and went to the GM website and found that they have authorized repop vendors, and AMD is one of those. They are down in Buford GA, so on a trip to Atlanta last summer, I stopped by and picked them up. Now, I bought them from Classic Muscle Metal in Cleveland GA - they are an authorized AMD installation shop, so they passed on a discount to me - but I picked them up direct at AMDs warehouse. In boxes, 2 fit easily under the tonneau of my F250.

Be careful if you do that. AMD has EVERYTHING you'd every want and you can easily empty your bank account there!

On to fitment. I'd say they fit very well, and my body guy had no significant complaints. That said, they are hung, swing well, have better gaps than when the Blazer was new, but I haven't put the windows and hardware back on yet.

Unless you can do rust repair and sheet metal work on your own, or you are going for 100% original, you'll spend more in repairs than going with AMD repops.

My 2 cents.