The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
dan s

Shipping damage

When purchasing parts from board members, and receiving several damaged parts in the same box( due to poor packaging according to FedEx.). What to do? I messaged seller with photos and the fact that fedex is saying inadequate packing (I agree) he responded with claims of good packing. Am I just SOL ? What are your thoughts?
dan s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Mudflat

Re: Shipping damage

Request refund from seller minus shipping cost.
Mudflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan s View Post
When purchasing parts from board members, and receiving several damaged parts in the same box( due to poor packaging according to FedEx.). What to do? I messaged seller with photos and the fact that fedex is saying inadequate packing (I agree) he responded with claims of good packing. Am I just SOL ? What are your thoughts?
There's a section called "member dealings". I would post it up there and include the members name etc....if you paid by pay pal file a complaint and get your money back.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
dmjlambert

We are a community and some members have different opinions on what is good enough. I bought an A/C control from a member that said he had a good one, and when it arrived the internal controls and levers were completely gone, the entire unit was stripped of internal parts and useless. It's in a box around here somewhere, I'm not sure why I didn't throw it away. Some times I just say dammit and move on.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
davepl

If the seller won't stand behind it you're SOL I think. Even if insured, if self-packed improperly there's no recovery I don't think. A non-inflammatory post with facts and photos in Member Dealings is probably a good start.

As for what's "good enough", if it protects it in shipping, that's "good enough!", but if it doesn't, then it isn't.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
VWNate1

Post Re: Shipping damage

This can be a problem ~ I too have been clearly ripped off by being sold junk that wasn't honestly described .

I ALWAYS give the seller one chance to own up and make full restitution before making a public comment .

Not speaking up means they're rewarded and encourage to cheat others .

OTOH, I've given away lots of good used parts and some here have returned the favor so don't go off half cocked .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
A1971Blazer

Not sure if it was or not.....but I always insure every shipment....coming or going...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
Not sure if it was or not.....but I always insure every shipment....coming or going...
Ever make any claims? How's it go when the shipper packed it themselves in their own box?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
VWNate1

Angry Re: Shipping Claims

I just got hosed on this, the USPS says the delivered an Oakie Bushing Tool I'd purchased but I never saw it and they refuse to honor the insurance .

$60 flushed, I'd only bought the damned thing to help out another old trucker who needed to use it, once .
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Ever make any claims? How's it go when the shipper packed it themselves in their own box?
in most cases, the container/box has sustained visible damage...thus making the shipper liable for damage
I heard it said once that UPS was the largest owner of metal toolboxes...
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
Mike (Asheville)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
in most cases, the container/box has sustained visible damage...thus making the shipper liable for damage
I heard it said once that UPS was the largest owner of metal toolboxes...
Yep, and if the box itself sustained no visible damage, the party who packed it is at fault.
Mike (Asheville) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
kwmech

I do a lot of shipping with my business. Any time something comes up damaged they always place the blame on the customer for bad packing. doesn't matter if the package looks like it was run over and drug 2 blocks behind the truck. Deny, deny, deny. I'm about 90% getting my money back. Theft (aka porch pirates) are my biggest foe. I try to put that back on my customer for not providing a secure drop point, work or a neighbor. They know when they have a problem in their hood. USPS is the worst for theft, internally and externally especially around the holidays
kwmech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Bring it up to a Mod. They can handle internal member disputes.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan s View Post

I don't find any posts where you bought the parts. I see where you have asked a couple of members about parts but no actual purchases. Did you purchase the parts through PM?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #15
dan s

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I don't find any posts where you bought the parts. I see where you have asked a couple of members about parts but no actual purchases. Did you purchase the parts through PM?

LockDoc
Yes I intiated it in the post and finalized in PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #16
Jason Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
I do a lot of shipping with my business. Any time something comes up damaged they always place the blame on the customer for bad packing. doesn't matter if the package looks like it was run over and drug 2 blocks behind the truck. Deny, deny, deny. I'm about 90% getting my money back. Theft (aka porch pirates) are my biggest foe. I try to put that back on my customer for not providing a secure drop point, work or a neighbor. They know when they have a problem in their hood. USPS is the worst for theft, internally and externally especially around the holidays
This strikes a nerve with me. I too ship a lot for my business.

My favorite story of them denying my claim is. They said the package was empty and they were denying the claim because it was improperly packaged. I told them they don't even know what was in the package, how can they have any clue that it was improperly packaged. They approved the claim....liars....
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #17
dan s

I got good news today! FedEx decided to man up after all. Thanks to everybody for their comments and support. I was just beginning talks with the seller about possible partial refund I sent him some more pictures but thankfully I got this settlement before it went any further. Again I don't think he did anything terribly wrong it was a good experience other than the damage. Thanks for hearing me out
Old 06-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #18
VWNate1

Thumbs up FedEx Foolishness

Glad to hear this ! .

My latest thing was, they claimed to have gotten permission to leave irreplaceable parts on my porch, I never saw the package and thought it stolen .

The seller turned up the heat and Lo ! it seems that although their tracking page said 'delivered' , "someone up stairs signed for it" (upstairs @ Fed Ex), and it <magically> appeared..... box un opened .

Whew .
Old 06-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #19
jjzepplin

I always pay by paypal. If nothing else they get in trouble with them and can get shut down. No more paypal. That can hurt if you do any ebay business. I have had to file a claim with them before as the body part I got was "usable" It was a piece of rust covered in bondo and could not be used for wall art. This was from a "High Octane" seller here. On the good side, they made it good and I tossed the part in the trash bin. On the other hand I have had fellas throw in extra parts and there are several threads on here that guys and gals offer free parts for shipping charges. And not ebay style shipping charges.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #20
mike16

you may be out of luck but raise a stink. Poor packing is the fault of the person shipping. Everything plus shipping too.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote