The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
aotte1

64 to 66 Frame Differences?

Is their a better short bed frame to use for a 64 to 66' performance driver? Maybe a few trips down the 1/4 mile too. Some of my research found that 65 - 66 frames have improved mounting locations for certain rear suspension components, like pan hard bar.
Help on performance frame difference would be greatly appreciated.

Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:51 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 64 to 66 Frame Differences?

There's really no differences in the '63-'66 frames as far as strength goes or overall design. The only difference in the panhard bar mount is the angle of the '64-'64 versus the '65-'66
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
aotte1

John,

Thanks,

Les
Old 03-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
Is their a better short bed frame to use for a 64 to 66' performance driver? Maybe a few trips down the 1/4 mile too. Some of my research found that 65 - 66 frames have improved mounting locations for certain rear suspension components, like pan hard bar.
Help on performance frame difference would be greatly appreciated.

Les
The frames aren't heat treated/hardened, so there are a couple things to keep in mind. For a heavily used autox or drag car, making sure the frame is straight to start with puts you ahead of the curve. Most street trucks wouldn't notice a little tweak from a fender bender 20years ago, but a drag truck will notice very quickly.

It also means that you can actually weld to these frame without the same problems (weakening) that you'll see with the more modern steel frames. Some folks have chosen to box or brace the frame (usually along with other mods, like a frame notch or coilovers etc)

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #5
aotte1

BR3W City
Thanks for info/ suggestions.

Best way to check bare frame to make sure straight? Cross measurement between body mount locations.

Les
Old 03-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Easiest way imo would be to level it on some stands, then measure a series of recorded points (so corner to corner etc). As long as its pretty close and level, all the rest should line up too. BUT don't be surprised if even with a straight frame, you have a crossbrace that looks crooked. I swear some guys use to "eye up" the holes at the factory.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Get it on a smooth flat concrete floor and drop a plumb bob from the outer most corners and make some points on the floor. Then you can diagonal measure and see where it's at. You can check all sorts of things using the plumb bob method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
BR3W City
Thanks for info/ suggestions.

Best way to check bare frame to make sure straight? Cross measurement between body mount locations.

Les
Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
Kyle@FTP

Captainfab, Do you know how much changed in just the frame rails and main cross members between 63-72?
Kyle@FTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:44 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The differences between the '63-'66 and '67-'72 frames are 1) The front frame horns for the bumper. 2) The position of the radiator support mounts 3) The very front crossmember. It is the radiator support on the '63-'66 and on the '67-'72 it is farther back and does not support anything except for a brakeline. 4) the position of the rear cab mount brackets.

Otherwise they are pretty much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle@FTP View Post
Captainfab, Do you know how much changed in just the frame rails and main cross members between 63-72?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 AM   #10
Kyle@FTP

Thanks for the info, How far different is the rear cab mount? And c10, c20 are the same frame, c30 is when it gets taller? truth to that?

And now that I look at you location. You sir are where I originated from. Grandpa grew up there and most of my family is still there but slowly moving south.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I don't recall the exact measurement but I believe it is a height difference between the top of the frame and the mount bracket. I would have to measure each one to get an exact difference for you.

Yes the C10 and C20 frames are basically the same. There are minor differences such as I believe the steel is slightly thicker and there are forward braces from the trailing arm crossmember to the frame rails. The C30 Dually frames are a bit different, but I do not know about the C30 single wheel frames. I have not seen or had one of those.

So you are originally from CDA?

Last edited by Captainfab; 03-06-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:31 AM   #12
Kyle@FTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I don't recall the exact measurement but I believe it is a height difference between the top of the frame and the mount bracket. I would have to measure each one to get an exact difference for you.

Yes the C10 and C20 frames are basically the same. There are minor differences such as I believe the steel is slightly thicker and there are forward braces from the trailing arm crossmember to the frame rails. The C30 Dually frames are a bit different, but I do not know about the C30 single wheel frames. I have not seen or had one of those.

So you are originally from CDA?
All very good info, Thank you.

No sir. Born and raised SoCal. Grandpa and his family were all born and raised there. Grandpa was the only one that left years ago. But in the last 2-3 years they have all slowly started moving away. Im up there every so often to visit. I do like it up there.