The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Yukon 400

Birth of a Cummins Suburban

Here's a project that I have been dreaming of for quite a while, until recently I just happen to stumble upon the pieces to make this project come to life. It starts out with a 1969 Chevy Suburban, I believe it's C10 that someone decided to swap out the running great to 3/4 hardware. The body appears to be fairly rust free, there are some areas of surface rust I'll have to investigate further to see how bad it, it's been a desert truck all it's life.

My plan is to build this truck into an all around utility vehicle, similar to an expedition vehicle that can be driven to most trails and remote desert locations without much trouble. An low key appearance will be maintained for trips across the border into Mexico. While still having the power to haul a boat or small trailer up mountainous terrain without breaking a sweat, hopefully maintain a decent fuel mileage, or at least achieve something better than my current suburban with a turbocharged 5.3.

Proposed Specs:
5.9L Cummins Engine 6bta
Allison 1000 Transmission
NVG 263 Transfer Case
2.5" lift kit on air bags w/ radius arms
Dana 44HD front axle - Dana 60 when I find one
14 bolt rear axle
35" tires
Modern convinces upgrade
Veggie / WVO fuel system
Heated fresh water supply
And more to come.....

Today I finally got around to getting the engine cleaned up and fired up, It's running a little rough right now, but at least it's making some noise. I've been discussing options of running the Allison behind a mechanical engine, my friend at the local tranny shop seems to be able to have a computer reprogrammed to do so hopefully it'll come together and still maintain factory features like tap shift and tow/haul mode, or maybe even push button control.

Here are some shots of the beginnings of this project.

I know, she's a little bit on the rough side, that shall change with some time and love.

There's the Cummins and Ally sitting beside each other, they make quite a long couple

It seems to be a lot of equipment to stuff in here

I apologize for the poor picture, my good camera ended it's life in the mighty Colorado River at Glen Canyon.

There's more to come.....
Yukon 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: Birth of a Cummins Suburban

Ooooo! following along on this one!!

For your Allison, you are in luck! the Allison 1000 came in three versions: 1000, 2000, and 2400. They found their way behind several diesel engines (and gas). There are comouters out there that are "stand alone" for this transmission. You will need a TPS signal, engine temp signal, and maybe one or two more signals, but those are easy to adapt!

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
GMC87

Awesome just Awesome!!!!!!! Cant wait to see some more progress!
GMC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
DBear

sweet project bud. Just did a diesel swap in my '71 burb 4x4
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

forgot to ask... turbocharged 5.3? STS? Got any pictures of that?

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very cool project! It looks like your engine is an older one with a VE injection pump and an after cooler. Should make for good power and great fuel economy geared right. I haven't used an allison in a conversion yet, but programming is the key from what I've heard. We have freightliners at work with 24v's and 1000 series and they suck. Mainly because the programming never gets changed by allison and they just beat them selves to death. Here is a place to go check out for a trans adapter and a transmission controller. They are pricey, but well worth the money for a quality product in the end.
www.destroked.com
Here is the link for the stand alone controller. I have heard a lot of other company's controllers losing the tow/haul mode. With this one you will still retain it.
http://www.destroked.com/parts/electronics.shtml
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 11-15-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Typo's
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
Yukon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
forgot to ask... turbocharged 5.3? STS? Got any pictures of that?
jbclassix - It's a rear mounted setup one that I made up using a Holset HX35 that was laying around, it's a great match for the motor, spooling right off idle, 4lbs at 1200 rpm and wastegated at 8.5lbs.

I don't have any good pictures of the turbo setup, they were on my aol pictures until that was shut down. Here is what I have;

Dieselwrencher - Thank you for the information and suggestions, I appreciate the support and lack of conflict from the people of this board. I use to an active member of other popular gm boards, and just became tired of all the things going on among people.

I'm hoping for at least 20 mpg with 35's and 3.73's.

I didn't know that allison use the same program for for many vehicles, I have EFI Live so that shouldn't be a problem as long as my friend can reflash the factory computer to using tps signal, if not then it may be time for an aftermarket solution.

The motor came out of an 83 c30 so it carries an Chevy bell housing adapter, yes it's tilted, only 6 bolts go in since there are no provisions for the new 7th bolt, and the weak wave spacer is required to bolt the torque converter on. I don't mean to knock destroked as they have invested the time ad effort in developing custom adapters but $3500+ is a good amount of change, if this were a new truck then I would not even think twice about that route.

There's the chevy bell housing adapter

Allison with gm's new 7 bolt pattern

The turbo 350 that came attached to the cummins
Old 11-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I don't blaim you one bit. His parts are expensive, but I've had to fight engines being tilted with the factory cummins adaptors. But I can relate to trying to keep prices down and getting projects done too. I'm guessing the allison wasn't cheap anyway.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

clocking the transmission bolt pattern off center from engine center... one more item to add to the list of reasons of why I hate Cummins engineers

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 11-16-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
clocking the transmission bolt pattern off center from engine center... one more item to add to the list of reasons of why I hate Cummins engineers
These adaptors were designed for P30 style bread trucks with 4bt's and TH400's, and or 4 speeds. They had to do that to get the engines in the trucks without altering the bodies of the trucks.(Grumman bodies) They also had these in some ford chassis bread trucks as well. These adaptors were never intended to go in pick ups from Cummins. You can still purchase them from cummins as they still have a few sitting in warehouses but are not cheap either. Like $650 walk in if I remember correctly just for the engine adapter.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #11
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

yeah I looked at either the chevy adapter for a nv4500/4bta or the ford adapter for a zf/4bta for my wifes scout. but... that got side lined way way way away! I didnt realize they were clocked! IMO the B series is the only good thing that ever came from Cummins... sorry to hijack

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 11-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon 400 View Post
Dieselwrencher - Thank you for the information and suggestions, I appreciate the support and lack of conflict from the people of this board. I use to an active member of other popular gm boards, and just became tired of all the things going on among people.

I'm hoping for at least 20 mpg with 35's and 3.73's.

I didn't know that allison use the same program for for many vehicles, I have EFI Live so that shouldn't be a problem as long as my friend can reflash the factory computer to using tps signal, if not then it may be time for an aftermarket solution.

The motor came out of an 83 c30 so it carries an Chevy bell housing adapter, yes it's tilted, only 6 bolts go in since there are no provisions for the new 7th bolt, and the weak wave spacer is required to bolt the torque converter on. I don't mean to knock destroked as they have invested the time ad effort in developing custom adapters but $3500+ is a good amount of change, if this were a new truck then I would not even think twice about that route.
That should be obtainable pretty easily. I know a lot of first gen dodge guys that have 3:55's and 32's or 33's that get over 21 all day every day. Those VE engines get the best mileage out of the 6B family. It looks like yo have half of your work done for you. You should be able to reuse those engine mounts, and leave the turbo and exhaust manifold like it is and be able to clear your heater box. When I tried putting my HX35W on mine, the exhaust housing was hitting the heater box, so I used an industrial manifold and it works fine. This should be a cool combo. Keep the pics coming!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 11-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #13
Yukon 400

I've seen some of those used p30 adapters on ebay sell for more than $650 at times. If it doesn't work out I still have a complete dodge cummins power train that could go in. Taking measurements over the weekend that tilt and large size of an allison will require the tranny tunnel to be raised a few inches.

What does it take to change to clam shell or early car style motor mounts in these trucks? I thought that towers did not interchange with any other mounting style.

19-21 is about the range I see with mixed driving in the first gen with 34.5's and 3.55's. Before when running off used motor oil 24mpg was the average.

Last edited by Yukon 400; 11-16-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
What does it take to change to clam shell or early car style motor mounts in these trucks? I thought that towers did not interchange with any other mounting style.
If you can find the brackets for a 72 big block truck they are the clam shell design. But you are going 4wd so I'd say a modified (Custom) crossmember is in your future.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Cumminpwr11
Southern Nevada Coal Roller

how is your project coming? i have your truck already built and was trying to sell it. I am a vegas local. I have 3.55 gears and 33's. i have a 47rh billet trans. i get around 23mpg

my next project is a 1935 chevy pu rat rod with a 4bta twin turbo.

72 Suburban, 1 ton dodge chassis 4wd cummins, DTT 47rh 89%, PDR VE 3200 spring, PODS, Piers Turbo.

36 Chevy P/U rat rod project. 4bta cummins
Cumminpwr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Quote:
Before when running off used motor oil 24mpg was the average.

Good to see someone else running used motor oil! I run about 19-20 MPG in my powerstroke on motor oil filtered down to 10 microns before dumping in the tank. Good luck on the build, you've got a nice platform to start!

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #17
Yukon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminpwr11 View Post
how is your project coming? i have your truck already built and was trying to sell it. I am a vegas local. I have 3.55 gears and 33's. i have a 47rh billet trans. i get around 23mpg

my next project is a 1935 chevy pu rat rod with a 4bta twin turbo.
Is yours the red 4wd one? Do you have any pictures I may be interested.

The project has been delayed slightly due to work, I'll start getting on it soon, here's where she sits right now.

I have a new toy that was delivered last Friday.

Still trying to figure out how to get it into my garage, but once in place it'll help get the project moving along.

1952 Chevy 6400 Truck - Looking for a direction in life
Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #18
Cumminpwr11
Southern Nevada Coal Roller

I will see what I can dig up for photo's on it.

I must say that is one hell of a cnc mill you have there. I am jealous beyond belief. I am saving for a 50 ton Edwards ironworker, and a tube shark.

My burb isn't a normal cummins swap (although which ones are right?) I dropped mine on a shortened dodge W350 frame. Newer frame with 1 ton axles and a NP205. Lovin it.

If you are interested let me know. I have her in the field right now in parumph. No time to keep going on it right now and my HOA hates seeing it in my driveway. So she is on field storage right now.

Chris

72 Suburban, 1 ton dodge chassis 4wd cummins, DTT 47rh 89%, PDR VE 3200 spring, PODS, Piers Turbo.

36 Chevy P/U rat rod project. 4bta cummins
Cumminpwr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #19
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Man that is a sweet new addition you have there! The engine looks good sitting in the frame too by the way!
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #20
Yukon 400

Cumminpwr11- Were you also trying to sell it last year, if you were I think we have talked before about it.

An iron worker and tube shark come in handy if you get them, what I have is just mini toy mill, a cummins block won't even under there.

Dieselwrencher- Thanks, the axles and suspension are in the works, but the frame was flexing too much, still deciding on the best resolution for the problem.

1952 Chevy 6400 Truck - Looking for a direction in life
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #21
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

any updates?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Very cool project!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
Beat68CST

That GM adapter plate that came on the Cummins, what did you do with it?...

I like it, a lot. PM me.
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #24
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

What ever happened to this project.... Yukon400 hasn't been on since 2013 ...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote