The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
burbguy

66 short bed fleetside build (Budget build)

[IMG][/IMG]Well this is my first build thread, although I have built many of these trucks before(pre internet). First off I had the truck given to me by a buddy of mine. It looked like the frame has been worked on before I had recieved it (c-notched frame), and the power steering, and front disc brake conversion, that was cobbled on at some time. The truck sat for a few years before I decided to do anything with it, so I started gathering some parts. The first was a 1972 402 bbc, coupled to a th400 that I got for free just for taking it out of an old 72 chevy built motorhome. Second was a decent 66 lwb "custom" cab that was a craigslist find down in San Jose, that I got for free just for hauling it off.

I wanted to build a shortbed with a big block/th400 combo, backed up with 3:08's in the rear. I was looking to paint it a simple gloss black, with the stock side trim, and 20" torque thrust's. Just a simple build with a little get up and go. I will be cleaning up the disc brake, and power steering conversion that was previously butchered, and installing disc's all around incorporating captain fab's rear disc brackets, to use with the camaro calipers, as I want to keep the parking brake operational. I will be going with the ididit tilt column, and keeping it a column shift. I will also be installing a vintage air unit, and going with a fairly stock look, with alot of painted pieces, and a little chrome to set it off. I use to build peterbuilt show trucks, and have always been into the hot rod look of more paint, less chrome, and subtle hints, of stainless bolts to break up the painted look. I also will be cutting out the bbw inner panel from the old cab, and putting it into my new cab, just beacuse I already have it, and wanted to try out the conversion, now that I've seen a few of you guy's already do some. This will take some time for me to complete, as I'm just about to get my 72 burb back from the paint shop, and will need to dump some money into getting that one back together. I will try to post alot of pictures, but I always have a hard time getting them from the computer, and posted on the website. Anyways I look forward to all the input from everybody, and I know that I will have a ton of questions from all of you. I wished I could have started with a complete truck, but I have had to piece this one together from alot of scrap's. Mostly because I already have a 66 short bed, and I couldn't bear to be without her while going thru a build(maybe I'm selfish?).http://66 chevy big block build 004

1966 short fleet 230 I-6 three in the tree (daily driver)
1966 short fleet big block th400 (building slowly)
1972 c10 3 door suburban 350 th350 (building faster than slowly)
2004 F250 power stroke (not dependable enough to be a daily driver)
2005 Kenworth T-800 Heavy Haul tractor (that's my true daily driver)
burbguy is offline   Reply With Quote