The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
valero

63 c20 tear down/no money sidewalk build

hows it goin!...finally got to start tearin down my $750 craigslist barn find now that the weathers warm

gonna try to keep the jabber short and the pictures abundant so heres a quick overview

-solid frame
-cab with some rust but strong rockers, floor panels, and firewall
-292 with 62k original miles, runs smooth, small oil leak through the valve cover gasket...no exhaust...little smokie during startup
-body.....well, youll see in the pics...

this is the first time ive ever tried to do any type of resto work, so needless to say, im learning as i go, plus i have 1 small spot in a 2 car garage, that barely fits the truck... in the city, with limited tools, lol...but your only as good as your ability to figure s#!t out with what you got, right!...so, as you can probably guess, theres not gonna be a lot of awesome metal fabrication, or performance engine work (at least not right now)....but, if you want, im always lookin forward to hearin everyones advice and opinions, so feel free
Attached Images

valero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
valero

Re: 63 c20 tear down/no money sidewalk build

when the truck was sittin in the garage (while the weather was bein an A-hole) i wanted to at least get something done...so i took out the heater box to clean out all the dried grass and hornets nests, and give it a little clean up
Attached Images

Last edited by valero; 04-26-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

What would you like to see the truck as when your finished, though you never do. I see your baggin & taggin and taking alot of pictures, wise move.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1

Last edited by aerotruk63; 04-26-2010 at 08:41 PM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
valero

Attached Images

Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

nice lookin truck.do you plan on driving at stock stance. that patina looks killer
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
What would you like to see the truck as when your finished, though you never do. I see your baggin & taggin and taking alot of pictures, wise move.
whats up aerotruck....as far as the look (as of now), mostly a stock cruiser/ daily driver with flavor i eventually want to do a 1/3 lowered stance, with gunmetal exterior paint, all white interior with chrome/gunmetal trim....still kinda contemplating a powder blue secondary to the gunmetal too, we'll see)
-definitely keepin the 292...i love the way it looks, and im slowly learning that these engines are strong as hell, and still able to be beefed up (if eventually i wanna go that route)
-3" white wall tires, with smoothies

annnnnd....thats about all i got right now...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny piscitelli View Post
nice lookin truck.do you plan on driving at stock stance. that patina looks killer
thanks man! ya know, the only reason i dont like the stock stance is cause of that stinkbug look it has when theres no payload in the bed...so eventually im gonna do a 1/3 to get that semi-lowered/muscle-ish look without droppin it...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

nice. i really like the worn out paint.that was the look i was going for.
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
valero

heres what ive done over the past few weeks...

picked up a cheap impact wrench from menards, grabbed my landlords sawsall(cuts like butter!!!! i love that thing, some pb blast, and my socket wrench set and just dove in...haha

tons of dirt, metal, rust and my skin flyin everywhere....good times
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Great rig to start with. It looks complete and in restorable condition. As with any new project, I suggest having a plan, no matter how big or small, before enbarking on a journey like this. Since time, money, space, tools and knowledge are often important elements of a project, it is rather important to have a plan based on the availability of all of these things. So often, in the haste of "making it happen", the running/driving truck is torn down to the frame, without a plan and when the overwhelming task of putting it back together is too much to comprehend, so the project goes to the wayside.

Keep up the good work and the photos rolling. Thanks for sharing.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

P.S. Once you have cleaned and painted something, put it back together as much as you can while the memory of fasteners, clips and such are still fresh. It will be harder to do the longer the truck is apart. A clip board or note book would be handy for listing parts to replace or for ordering. Watch for shelving on big garbage days to hold the parts your restoring and accumulating. Industrial racking can be a huge benefit in tight spaces. Tool wise, beg and borrow the expensive stuff. Remeber K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't let it get out of hand.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny piscitelli View Post
nice. i really like the worn out paint.that was the look i was going for.
lol, i dig it too man...but im way into paint so eventually i wanna get it lookin a little sexier...and ya know, so the lady will feel the same way when shes cruisin with me...hahaha...but yeah, from what i can see, your truck looks sic though!...
Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
Great rig to start with. It looks complete and in restorable condition. As with any new project, I suggest having a plan, no matter how big or small, before enbarking on a journey like this. Since time, money, space, tools and knowledge are often important elements of a project, it is rather important to have a plan based on the availability of all of these things. So often, in the haste of "making it happen", the running/driving truck is torn down to the frame, without a plan and when the overwhelming task of putting it back together is too much to comprehend, so the project goes to the wayside.

Keep up the good work and the photos rolling. Thanks for sharing.
hey tony! yeah man, i hear ya...sometimes im sittin there with the sawsall, a glass of scotch and a crazy twitch in my eye and i say to myself....walk away dude, walk away....haha...

but all that aside, my plan (in short) is to clean up the front end, tune up the engine, get the suspension and steering solid, derust and paint the panels, get the front clip back on, then move to the cab, and then the rear-end/bed while trying to keep the truck running throughout the whole process....i know its easy to say all this and its even its easier to get out of hand...so im just forcing myself to be patient and concentrate on one thing before i move onto the next....
Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
P.S. Once you have cleaned and painted something, put it back together as much as you can while the memory of fasteners, clips and such are still fresh. It will be harder to do the longer the truck is apart. A clip board or note book would be handy for listing parts to replace or for ordering. Watch for shelving on big garbage days to hold the parts your restoring and accumulating. Industrial racking can be a huge benefit in tight spaces. Tool wise, beg and borrow the expensive stuff. Remeber K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid. Don't let it get out of hand.
well said man, im very familiar with the K.I.S.S. method...we had it drilled into our heads when i was in paramedic school, cause once you make something harder than it has to be, s@#t can go awry real quick... but yeah, everything ive taken apart on the truck (especially hardware, etc..) has gone in labeled and organized plastic bags...shoot if it didnt, my little apt. would be a dump for sure, lol...
Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
wild one
Registered.........

Just a thought, but your truck looks to be a prime candidate for the CLR and scotch brite trick - removes the rust and leaves the paint! Check out post #678 and #679 on page 28 in the link for more details...http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?p=21924

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool!

Popcorn:
Pops at exactly 444 degreese
Expands to 44 times it's original size
Has a 4 year shelf life

Last edited by wild one; 04-28-2010 at 12:53 AM.
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #16
andyh1956

hey nice truck. luv longbeds. washing truck parts in the sink & painting on kitchen table? not married, huh?
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #17
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild one View Post
Just a thought, but your truck looks to be a prime candidate for the CLR and scotch brite trick - removes the rust and leaves the paint! Check out post #678 and #679 on page 28 in the link for more details...http://www.impalas.net/forums/showthread.php?p=21924
thanks wildone, i had seen that a while back and wanted to give it a try, but then i stumbled upon this stuff...
-->http://safestrustremover.com
ive been grindin away at most of the body parts with a wire wheel...and its pretty effective, but obviously you cant get to those "nooks and crannies," so, im glad i found this site...i think im gonna save get the "5 gal. concentrate" and a small 1/6 hp submergable pump, hose and tarp to do my body panels and the whole front end...
...talked to them over the phone as well, and they were extremely helpful and informative...check em out if your interested...

Last edited by valero; 04-28-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
hey nice truck. luv longbeds. washing truck parts in the sink & painting on kitchen table? not married, huh?
andy
hahahahah! thanks andy, that obvious huh shoot, and it aint happenin til she lets me use her clothes hangers to paint my parts with either!....(good luck with that though right)...
Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
daverod
SSN 706

I think I would have just left it the way it was and drove the hell out of it. Tearing it apart is the easy/cheap part. Putting it back together is'nt that easy/cheap.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #20
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
I think I would have just left it the way it was and drove the hell out of it. Tearing it apart is the easy/cheap part. Putting it back together is'nt that easy/cheap.
i hear ya dave...unfortunately i gotta get this thing as solid and "weather proof" as possible before the winter hits again, (im lucky i found the truck in the condition its in, being the midwest n all) so i wanna do it right...

...plus its gonna be my daily driver (in the snow/mountains of salt), so if i dont get everything stripped and painted, its just gonna get worse and end up costing me more to replace the slightly rusty but solid metal i already have, (im sure youve seen how much those fenders cost, lol)
...not to mention havin the engine, frame and suspension easier to access for cleanup, tune-up and repairs...
Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #21
valero

found a pair of repro. front fenders on craigslist for $100!

i know theyre not original, but still...a hundred bucks?!?!?!

anyway, there was nothing wrong with them, and as you can see they had the factory paint on em, but just because i know how valuable these are and how easily they can rust out if the paint is weak (which it was)...and to make things harder on myself, lol....i decided to strip em down to the metal, and repaint them with KBS rust seal...

i dont know if you guys have used this stuff, but man i'll tell ya...its almost seems bullet proof! they give you a brush to paint it on with, as its a self leveling compound, but it sucks, dont use it...i went with a small .89 cent roller, and it went on like butta!

turned our firehouse into a body shop for a couple hours and ive got one done so far...the other one is stripped and ready for the first coat...not to mention the bumper, radiator gaurds and front grille housing...(no pics of those just yet)
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #22
chevyrestoguy

Love the patina! That truck looks like it earned every square inch of it, too.

I'd get it mechanically sound and drive the wheels off of it just like it is.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #23
daverod
SSN 706

Nice find on the fenders. What you going to do with your old ones? Better yet ,I would just keep your old ones they match your truck. You can sell me the new ones. Give ya 150 Got a pic of the inside of the new ones? Just wondering if they came with all the parts?

Last edited by daverod; 04-28-2010 at 03:10 PM.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #24
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Nice find on the fenders. What you going to do with your old ones? Better yet ,I would just keep your old ones they match your truck. You can sell me the new ones. Give ya 150 Got a pic of the inside of the new ones? Just wondering if they came with all the parts?
lol...no way brother! keepin those babies...the old ones are just gonna sit there until maybe i wanna put em on C.L....if youre interested let me know, i can try to get some pics your way...honestly though the usual front and back tip areas were rusted out and i had to cut em to even get em off the truck, but the rest of the fender is in pretty good shape...

no pics of the back of the new fenders, but i can tell ya that they came solid with no extra parts...which parts are you refering to?

Last edited by valero; 04-28-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
valero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Love the patina! That truck looks like it earned every square inch of it, too.

I'd get it mechanically sound and drive the wheels off of it just like it is.
chevyresto: for sure! it was an old pig farm truck...used to carry hay, feed, pigs, probably some dead mobsters, etc...lol...

but yeah, "patina" is one thing, and i do dig the way it looks, but as i mentioned a few posts back...rust wont remain in its classic/worn "seasoned" look, but will turn into that wonderful swiss cheese we all love dealing with, once the snow hits......otherwise i might have concidered it...plus i love the whole custom paint aspect, and im pretty good with a rattle can...

not to get off track but heres a couple of things ive "done up"...my cruiser and the gas tank and fender (before the right pinstripe was done) for my buddy's '85 honda rebel...
Attached Images

Last edited by valero; 04-28-2010 at 04:14 PM.