The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
gofast321

8L90 Swap Lockup Issues

Hi everyone. I just finished an Gen V L83 / 8L90 swap in my 1988 Suburban. I love the swap; power and gas mileage are both awesome!

My question is... When coming to a stop in the truck it feels like the torque converter lockup doesn't let go until the very last second and causes a little bit of a lurch in the truck as it stops. Has anyone else had this issue in their 8L90 swaps? Is this expected behavior from this trans? If not, does anyone have a suggestion on what I should start looking at (my transmission knowledge is terrible)? I do have the torque converter control wire from the harness hooked up to the brake light switch in the truck to show the ECM/TCM 12v when I step on the brake.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chad
gofast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: 8L90 Swap Lockup Issues

When I got my 18 Silverado I had the V6 6 speed, but as I was doing my research on the various sub models. The 8l90 had tuning issues where people were not happy with them. Do not remember exact details, but your problem maybe linked to the factory issue. Many people complained about.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast321 View Post
Hi everyone. I just finished an Gen V L83 / 8L90 swap in my 1988 Suburban. I love the swap; power and gas mileage are both awesome!

My question is... When coming to a stop in the truck it feels like the torque converter lockup doesn't let go until the very last second and causes a little bit of a lurch in the truck as it stops. Has anyone else had this issue in their 8L90 swaps? Is this expected behavior from this trans? If not, does anyone have a suggestion on what I should start looking at (my transmission knowledge is terrible)? I do have the torque converter control wire from the harness hooked up to the brake light switch in the truck to show the ECM/TCM 12v when I step on the brake.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
When I got my 18 Silverado I had the V6 6 speed, but as I was doing my research on the various sub models. The 8l90 had tuning issues where people were not happy with them. Do not remember exact details, but your problem maybe linked to the factory issue. Many people complained about.
What Zieigel said. It needs someone with experience to clean up the transmission tune. Let us know how that goes.

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 06-21-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:05 PM   #4
buffydores

Every time I've run a tuned 5 speed or 6 speed, they've had that lurch you describe. It's a tuning deal. Nothing wrong with the transmission. Just need to find someone who can massage it.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote