The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Dubnova

65 Big Window Build / Retro Mod …...

Hey Guys, I just bought a 65 Big Window Fleet Side It's looks to be a really nice truck with 33,500 original miles. (I will try to post some pics ASAP) The truck is basically bone stock with 283 manual 3 on tree, manual steering, manual drums withs 15'' stock steel wheels. I have read a lot of stickies and threads about big brakes and suspension changes. The question I have is……If you guys were going to make this truck a very nice go anywhere (that could be daily driven) C10 with a nice low stance, how would you go about it? What components would you use and why? I have a 67 NOVA with Heidts front IFS and rear 4 link thats rides like a dream and goes straight (even with a supercharger LS3) so I am somewhat familiar with suspension mods and I really like the Heidts stuff. I would like to use fairly big 4 wheel disk and some type of power steering or maybe power rack. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This is one great forum you guys have going! I can see its going to cost me BIG BUCKS……. Thanks...
Dubnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
sodly

Re: 65 Big Window Build / Retro Mod …...

Just one guy's opinion but if that truck is as original and low-mile as you say, it should be preserved in its stock configuration. It would be a shame to lose that very hard-to-find originality. You might really kick yourself later. Lowered/modified 60s chevy trucks are a dime a dozen.

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
McMurphy

Not that you shouldn't realize your vision, but with Sodly... There are some trucks (like mine) that have been abused and abandoned and are perfect candidates for the crazy mods (like I did with mine) and then there are those we call Survivors, and these are very rare gems that really and truely deserve a "Back to Factory" restoration.

Kind of like finding an original Bible that was perfectly preserved, and using the pages as rolling papers....

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Ta2Don

I agree with the previous 2 posts… If it is as original as described, restore as is… Just my .02c worth…
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
Dubnova

YEAH…….I was thinking more along the lines of a (C10 KING) "Pumpkin" or a "Buttercup" kinda resto/build. How low can I get the truck without cutting a "C" in the rear frame?
I am kinda leaning toward disk brakes, steal wheels and a good stance (lower).
Old 02-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
sodly

How 'bout some pics? That would help us understand what you have.

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Dubnova

Sorry about the pics but, I have been really busy as of late. I can give you a link to the truck or where I bought it. I have not received the truck yet because of the ice and snow in the southeast. I looked local for a long time to find one this nice but, no luck. I got tired of fooling around and bought this one. I just hope it's what they say it is. At the least I want to do a brake swap and lower it. I don't know if I will go full tilt or not. I appreciate all of the reply and opinions. I forgot that Streetside has a video of the truck as well.

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/sh...hevrolet%20C10

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/sh...hevrolet%20C10
Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
bonehead

I agree with the comments above, don't cut up a cherry original to make a modified truck. Save that truck for yourself to appreciate in the future.

Find an already modified truck to modify into your vision. My opinion FWIW
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
65Gregg

Do what you want to it, but I wouldn't do anything that can't be reversed. Save and label any and everything you take off. The biggest thing is drive it!

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #10
TommyDuncan

Nice truck...

Whatever you decide it should be hard to go wrong with a starting point like that!

Post some pics of the Nova!...I have a 63 Convertible that is a work in progress.
TommyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #11
NEWFISHER

Dubnova,
I started with a drum drum, manual truck and converted it to 4 wheel disc and powersteering. Thankfully it had a 700r4 in it or I would have immediately installed one. I have redesigned a later model seat that fits me better than the stocker. I drive over 70 miles round trip with a third of it in town and these all have to work together to produce a nice driving truck.

Those 4 things are the biggest changes for driveability. Power steering, disc brakes , gearing and comfort or seating position in a truck cab vs. Car.

As far as lowing, there are 2 ways to go. Bag it if you want to slam it or spindles, springs and blocks for a mild 5-6 inch drop that rides, looks and performs well. I bagged mine, but wanted to keep the stock bed floor. Its as low as you can get one without further heavy modifications and cost, but I spent triple what I could have to achieve nearly the same results static without the " pssssshhhhht----hey look, that truck has bags!" And after a few months, It becomes a nusance. I could pony up more than I spent on the hard parts and install a level ride one touch system for friendlier drivability or modify the arms and cut the bed up to drop it further or just keep driving the snot out of it. Not bashing bags, just saying for a reliable comfortable driver, ill go back to setting them up static. If I want to jaw drop the chicks on the boardwalk, ill cut the bed next time
Old 02-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
Dubnova

Thanks for reply guys When the truck gets here I will have to make a decision on whether or not to cut it up. The truck does look really nice in the pics. As we all know sometimes that is not the way that they look in person. After installing a 6.2 LS in my NOVA I have a real hard time not installing one in the truck. I still don't like the way they look in a HotRod but, they sure do make a lot of power and run very well. The stance and wheels are what give me concerns. Im think'n about dropping the truck as low as I can go without the "C" at first and keeping the steel wheels with whites. AC is a must in Alabama about 9 months a year (except for all of snow we have had this year!) so Im trying to decide between a Vintage Air surfit or a mark IV under dash unit. Im kinda leaning restomod with the modern running gear and keeping the appearance factory with a lower stance. I can't wait to start on this thing. I have two teenage sons who are going to help on this one and I'm planing on letting them have some input on the build. We have already spent way to much time looking at trucks on this site LOL! I just hope the older son changes his mind. He wants a GMPP 572 and six speed.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
TommyDuncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnova View Post
Thanks for reply guys When the truck gets here I will have to make a decision on whether or not to cut it up. The truck does look really nice in the pics. As we all know sometimes that is not the way that they look in person. After installing a 6.2 LS in my NOVA I have a real hard time not installing one in the truck. I still don't like the way they look in a HotRod but, they sure do make a lot of power and run very well. The stance and wheels are what give me concerns. Im think'n about dropping the truck as low as I can go without the "C" at first and keeping the steel wheels with whites. AC is a must in Alabama about 9 months a year (except for all of snow we have had this year!) so Im trying to decide between a Vintage Air surfit or a mark IV under dash unit. Im kinda leaning restomod with the modern running gear and keeping the appearance factory with a lower stance. I can't wait to start on this thing. I have two teenage sons who are going to help on this one and I'm planing on letting them have some input on the build. We have already spent way to much time looking at trucks on this site LOL! I just hope the older son changes his mind. He wants a GMPP 572 and six speed.
If you do all of that I'm sure you will want to move the tank under the bed, power steering, and new exhaust as well as a radiator for the LS? It would be worth buying another frame to build up and sell your low mileage stocker after you swap the body.
That is what I'm gathering parts to do except I will have a complete truck made of the old parts to sell when I'm done.
TommyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
kieth

Quote:
YEAH…….I was thinking more along the lines of a (C10 KING) "Pumpkin" or a "Buttercup" kinda resto/build. How low can I get the truck without cutting a "C" in the rear frame?
I am kinda leaning toward disk brakes, steal wheels and a good stance (lower).
HERES MINE, NO NOTCH, 2600 SERIES BAGS, 2.5" DROP SPINDLES, 17" WITH BIG TIRES.....

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-f2ZWDRK

BEFORE SPINDLES REAR BAGS ONLY WITH STEEL RALLYES....
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-wLm4dMM

HAVE FUN DECIDING, WE BUILT MY TRUCK STOCK AS FAR AS THE BODY AND INTERIOR WERE CONCERNED BUT CHANGED THE ENGINE, TRANS, DISC BRAKES (KIND OF A RESTO ROD BUT TRUE TO ITS ORIGINAL NATURE EXCEPT FOR THE WHEELS AND THE STANCE)................KIETH
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
scot 6 feet eleven

slam the body on a car chassis but that's just my opinion
Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #16
Dubnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
HERES MINE, NO NOTCH, 2600 SERIES BAGS, 2.5" DROP SPINDLES, 17" WITH BIG TIRES.....

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-f2ZWDRK

BEFORE SPINDLES REAR BAGS ONLY WITH STEEL RALLYES....
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-wLm4dMM

HAVE FUN DECIDING, WE BUILT MY TRUCK STOCK AS FAR AS THE BODY AND INTERIOR WERE CONCERNED BUT CHANGED THE ENGINE, TRANS, DISC BRAKES (KIND OF A RESTO ROD BUT TRUE TO ITS ORIGINAL NATURE EXCEPT FOR THE WHEELS AND THE STANCE)................KIETH
Keith, Im digging the wheels.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #17
siggyfreud

I can understand people's perspective on keeping it original, but ultimately it's your truck to do with as you want. As much as we love these things they simply don't command the attention of an original Camaro, Mustang, or any number of other "muscle cars". Ultimately you have to do what makes you happy and build something YOU want to drive everyday. For me, I like new cars, so my goal is to make my 66 drive as "new" as possible. Keeping your truck all original might be in the best interest of the community at large, but if you don't get a smile a minute driving it that way then it wasn't worth it. I think the biggest crime is having one of these that never sees the road, so if chopping it up means you'll love it, drive it, care for it more, chop away my friend.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
Dubnova

Well guys, I finally got around to taking a few picks of the "SIX FIVE"

Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #19
Dubnova

A few more

I placed a order for 13"/12" inch brakes and 4.5 front drop / 5 rear drop with power steering and Cnotch. Let the good time roll……...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Beautiful truck AND nova.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #21
rwade

Dude that thing is gorgeous!! I totally want one now. Can't wait to see more.

Wade
rwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #22
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Hey Guys, I just bought a 65 Big Window Fleet Side It's looks to be a really nice truck with 33,500 original miles. (I will try to post some pics ASAP) The truck is basically bone stock with 283 manual 3 on tree, manual steering, manual drums withs 15'' stock steel wheels. I have read a lot of stickies and threads about big brakes and suspension changes. The question I have is……If you guys were going to make this truck a very nice go anywhere (that could be daily driven) C10 with a nice low stance, how would you go about it? What components would you use and why? I have a 67 NOVA with Heidts front IFS and rear 4 link thats rides like a dream and goes straight (even with a supercharger LS3) so I am somewhat familiar with suspension mods and I really like the Heidts stuff. I would like to use fairly big 4 wheel disk and some type of power steering or maybe power rack. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This is one great forum you guys have going! I can see its going to cost me BIG BUCKS……. Thanks...
You bought a VERY nice truck.
I would look at Porterbuilt Fabrication.
Either their air bag set up or coil over chassis parts,...
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #23
Dubnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post

Thanks …..The box nova is pretty cool but, it ain't no truck...

Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #24
C/10 King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
X222!!! Very beautiful!!!
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #25
Dubnova

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/10 King View Post
X222!!! Very beautiful!!!
Thanks……Coming from the KING thats a pretty good start. Just to let you know I was lurking around one day and came across the "Pumpkin" and the rest is history. Next thing I know I bought a 65 ….LOL I think I need a 63 front grill and some white paint for the top. Your Pumpkin truck is very nice.